No actionNo action
116 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
106 of 116  Wed 1st Jun 2016 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2527

The greengrocery man in Aldermans Green Rd was named Rowley, he had lost an arm in WW1 but still managed his horse and cart round 1935-45. Favourite with us kids was the boxes of Sun-Pat chocolate raisins. Our coalman was Arthur Lote from Grange Road who had a flat dray lorry, he also ferried our carnival things. From 41 to 44 I was the milkman with pony and trap, my boss sold the business when I went in the forces. I had loads of photo's, but lost them - who in those days thought that people would one day want to see them. In the early years we did not even cool the milk. Milk the cows at 7am and deliver by 8am, still warm in the churn. I washed the bottles and churns by hand on the forecourt of the farmhouse when I returned from the round. Had to discard many bottles for people returned them after having put paraffin in them, but the war brought many changes, one being the limited roads you could use. Another was all cows had to be de-horned. The little pony knew where to stop at each customer's house, but got most confused when we had to swop roads and customers. Took her months to get adapted. I used to stop for a cup of tea at home on the way back, she was so used to it if I was more than ten minutes she would start to walk on. Yes, many memories.
Delivery vans and mobile supplies
Little Nut
France
All posts by this member
107 of 116  Wed 1st Jun 2016 10:42pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2016  Total posts:35

I don't remember the Alpine pop man but I do remember the Corona pop man. He used a big lorry to deliver his pop to my neighbours opposite in Heathcote Street, Radford. They had 4 boys of various ages - I was a year older than the eldest and was very jealous, as I had to drink squash and really longed for the fizz. However, I couldn't bring myself to be friends with them, so as to try and be invited over for a glass - they were just too young!! Hubby says, do you remember getting money back on the empty bottles you returned to the shop. He had quite a business going, by nipping into the yard where the shopkeeper stored the returns, collecting a few and returning them for a second or even third time until he was caught! One of my favourite callers was the ice cream man D Di Mascio. I seem to have an early memory of a freezer tub on a tricycle or it could have been a handcart, until he was motorised and had a fleet of red and cream vans ding donging their way around the streets - where is he now!!!
Little Nut

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
108 of 116  Wed 1st Jun 2016 10:58pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

The ice-cream tricycle was still being used in Pool Meadow in the mid 1960s. I remember asking how he kept the ice cream cold and he showed me the dry ice packed underneath.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
109 of 116  Thu 2nd Jun 2016 8:07am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5119

On 1st Jun 2016 10:42pm, Little Nut said: One of my favourite callers was the ice cream man D Di Mascio. I seem to have an early memory of a freezer tub on a tricycle or it could have been a handcart, until he was motorised and had a fleet of red and cream vans ding donging their way around the streets - where is he now!!!
D Di has his own thread here on our forum, and he also appears on our list of "Famous Coventrians" Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
110 of 116  Wed 8th Jun 2016 11:06am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2527

I remember in the early 1930's Wall's had a thriving business with pork sausages, but they had two snags. One, there was no fridges, and two, people in those days would not eat pork unless there was an R in the month, so the four summer months the trade dropped. So they came up with Wall's ice-cream, sent the salesmen out on a tricycle with a large box between the front wheels and called 'Stop me and buy one' Anyone remember chocolate crisp bars, or chocolate energy balls in a bag?
Seabreeze
Wiltshire
All posts by this member
111 of 116  Wed 17th Jan 2018 11:48am  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:4

Toogoods worked around Tile Hill, Allesley, Coundon, Canley areas. Working very long hours, especially Christmas time. He did not have a mobile chip van.
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
112 of 116  Thu 9th Aug 2018 10:25pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2012  Total posts:134

On 15th Dec 2012 4:52pm, morgana said: I recall the coal men Lenton & Bray sure they were either twins or brothers.
An advert here for "LENTON & BRAY"!
Davey
Coventry
All posts by this member
113 of 116  Fri 10th Aug 2018 12:19pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:69

They are still going and now called "Wentworth Fuels". The owner is still a Bray. We've had a few chats as his uncle had a small holding behind Hurst Rd in Longford at the rear of my grandparents' house. He keeps his dad's trilby on the coat stand in the office, though his dad's long gone.
DavidT

Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
114 of 116  Sat 27th Oct 2018 7:44pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:849

On 5th Apr 2014 11:48am, pixrobin said: Then you'd like Reliant Robins then. I owned a Robin for few years because I could drive it on my motorcycle licence. Because of their light weight (bodyshell of fibre-glass rather than metal) they were tricky in cross-winds. Snow was a problem too. 4-wheeled vehicles tend to create two tracks and leave a pile of snow between. In a Robin you had to plough your own furrow. Big grin
Yes, Pixrobin, my first car was a Reliant Robin. I ran it until I moved to Gloucester then traded in for a Morris 1000 and took the driving test as I only had a motorbike licence.
mickmitro
tile hill coventry
All posts by this member
115 of 116  Wed 14th Nov 2018 11:24pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:30

There was also an old Bedford bus that used to park at the top of Marler Road, just by Charter Avenue, that also was a mobile shop. I seem to remember that their name was Murphy. Anyone remember? I guess it was early 1960s.
mickmitro
tile hill coventry
All posts by this member
116 of 116  Wed 14th Nov 2018 11:43pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:30

Anyone remember Fred and Josie, husband and wife, who each had a milk round in Canley? Josie covered the top half of Canley and Fred did the bottom half. I used to work for Fred delivering milk to doorsteps in the 1960s, an hour in the mornings before school and half day Saturday and Sunday. They were also farmers who farmed in Hob Lane, Burton Green. I remember Fred telling me that in the war he parachuted at Arnhem so he probably had a pretty rough time. Fred was, I believe, a member of the Westwood Club for many years.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 116 of 116 posts

Page 8 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Trinity Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Charterhouse, London Road