No actionNo action
15 posts:
Order:    

Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
1 of 15  Sat 8th Dec 2012 4:42pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:910

Well it is to me, the vehicle has Coventry on it. Rubbish Collection I put a search in for Coventry and this one came up, is it Coventry? It's a brilliant, clear photo. Sweepers
Photo poser - rubbish / street cleaning
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
2 of 15  Sat 8th Dec 2012 4:53pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:857

The first one looks like Gulson Road, Foxcote. Not too sure about the second one with the block paving Wave
Milly rules

Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
3 of 15  Sat 8th Dec 2012 5:03pm  

Thanks NormK, I didn't want you to spend too much time on the second one, in case it wasn't even Coventry Oh my
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 15  Sat 8th Dec 2012 5:17pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:644

The block paving looks like what every backyard had, blue bricks. But I cannot recall any pavements with them, also the street lights seem a very modern addition for the age of the photo. Wave
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 15  Wed 26th Dec 2012 11:13am  

Dutchman, maybe you could help with this one? Can you find out where the street light number 537 is? If you report a fault to the council you can give this number so they know where it is, even if they change the light I bet they keep the same number. Thumbs up
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 15  Wed 26th Dec 2012 11:36am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

The thought did occur Mattash but I wasn't able to get very far with it. Street lighting in Coventry is now provided by a private contractor and as far as I can tell they use a completely different numbering system.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 15  Wed 26th Dec 2012 9:24pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:875

I recognise the square building you can see on the left hand side of the first one. I just can't remember where from! The second picture is interesting. Look at the quality of that pavement? You don't get that now, and even if you did, they'd have dug up patches of it and put tarmac in!
Genghis Smith
Ireland
All posts by this member
8 of 15  Wed 26th Dec 2012 9:49pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:70

NormK - spot on Cheers
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
9 of 15  Thu 27th Dec 2012 11:02am  

Well done with the first shot! The one with the 'sweepers' looks a bit Stoney Stanton Road. Pity we can't see any names on the shops. I have another one which I'll put on, as the last one. I put 'Coventry' in as a search and it came up, but is it? Roll eyes I was just looking for my next mystery photo to link and I think I have found another shot of the 'sweepers'.
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 15  Fri 28th Dec 2012 8:48am  

Hello Foxcote. The lorry in your second link to the "sweepers" was first registered in Stoke-on-Trent. On the door of the lorry I can make out "City-of-(looks like an "S")", maybe wrong but it might be a misplaced photo? Sad Addition. Just found some more photos of Stoke-on-Trent refuse lorries, they also have the same motif as on yours.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
11 of 15  Fri 28th Dec 2012 9:09am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5119

And "EH" was a Stoke-on-Trent registration! Well spotted Thumbs up I don't seem able to do a Google Street View link, but I'm 99% sure it's Campbell Road, looking north from the junction with Corporation Street Oh my
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 15  Fri 28th Dec 2012 9:57am  

Think you are right MR. Just been there, even the archway and bay window in between the two shops also the lintels are the same shape. Thumbs up
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
13 of 15  Fri 28th Dec 2012 11:48am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

I agree MR but can I ask how you knew it was Campbell Road as Stoke-on-Trent is a very big place?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
14 of 15  Fri 28th Dec 2012 12:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5119

If you want the full story Oh my As we used to visit my grandparents In Crewe at least once a month in the 1950s, the journey took us along the A34, passing the end of London Road, which I always recall was a long straightish road (I've also used a camera repair shop along there [if anyone wants any dust removing from the sensor that's the place to go]) so I Googled it, found that it wasn't that road, but saw Campbell Road nearby as another long straightish one, and I soon found matching buildings Pot luck, I guess Big grin
Suitably Chastised
Where the Teacher can see me
All posts by this member
15 of 15  Fri 28th Dec 2012 2:26pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:126

Spot on MR, the area is known locally as Boothen, as in The Boothen End at the old Victoria Ground (21st February 1987 Stoke City 0 Coventry City 1, Micky Gynn the scorer, a rather dodgy one) and now at the north end of The Britannia Stadium. The camera repair shop in London Road you referred to in London Road is still there too. Anyway enough of The Potteries.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Photo poser 7
|

Next (newer) topic

Britannia Steam Wagon
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category