Topic categories:

Whitefriars Street (inc. Whitefriars Lane)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 93 of 93 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action
93 posts:
Order:    

MRWlegal
63 Daventry Road Coventry
All posts by this member
91 of 93  Tue 1st Oct 2019 5:01pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2019  Total posts:1

I recently came across the story of Rev Everard Digby who ran St Michael's Mission in Whitefriars Lane between 1907 and 1910. To raise money for new seating he organised an exhibition wrestling match in the church at which Zbysco, the world champion wrestler from Poland, fought Zorro, an opponent who allegedly trained by lifting horses. The match lasted 7 minutes and the champion won. It was a sell-out and raised enough money to equip a gym in the church. St Michael's Mission was still there at the second major bombing of Coventry on Maundy Thursday 1941 when Christ Church was destroyed, and Provost Howard from St Michael's Cathedral allowed the Christ Church congregation to use it until the new Christ Church was built in Cheylesmore. Three days later they held Easter services there. I cannot find much information about St Michael's Mission and I wondered if anyone knows more about it? Martin
Martin R Williams

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
92 of 93  Tue 1st Oct 2019 5:21pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1544

Hi Martin, there are quite a few references to St Michael’s Mission in the online British newspaper archive. One I found interesting was that in 1961 a brick lined well with a 6ft opening was discovered beneath what was the vestry. The land then belonged to W Brandish and Sons who were extending the showrooms of the garage next door.
zenith64000
whitehaven
All posts by this member
93 of 93  Sat 12th Oct 2019 11:03pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2019  Total posts:1

Lolipop, you are correct in your assumption re Mrs Colledge being the head teacher at St Michael’s School in Much Park Street. Her husband also had a butchers shop. Like yourself I am unsure as to its exact locality. I attended St Michael’s between 1945 and 1952, before moving on to Cheylesmore School in Mile Lane. I can recall from my time at St Michael’s a Mrs Norris, a Mr Bishop and then Mrs Riley who would scare the pants off you with a withering look.
Len Morton

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 93 of 93 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

London Road Cemetery
|

Next (newer) topic

Old Coventry adverts
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category