Topic categories:

Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 166 to 180 of 182 posts

Page 12 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
Next pageNo action
182 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
166 of 182  Wed 24th May 2017 7:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4384

Several on here have decried the Daily Mail as a newspaper But, really, how can anyone knock a newspaper which comes up with this wonderful news? Cheers Lol Big grin
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
167 of 182  Thu 25th May 2017 3:46am  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
168 of 182  Fri 9th Jun 2017 6:45am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3824

Hi all Wave Whether we like chocolate, fish & chips or even a "big-mac", what is true is the number of occasions where the so called experts have got their information to us, so spectacularly wrong over the years. The first that I was aware of food warnings was in my very early teens, where too much bread potatoes & milk was bad. So, misreading that, so many all but stopped eating & drinking it. My long time GP blames that era for so much of the brittle bone diseases that inflict so many today. Surely, a bit of what we fancy is what is needed with all in moderation I believe. "Now where's me cornflakes & full cream milk" Have a good day all. Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
169 of 182  Fri 9th Jun 2017 1:02pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

I wholeheartedly agree with you Philip, I eat most 'naughty but nice' food but have the sense to eat in moderation and I am quite happy to still being able to run and touch my toes and even walk the odd mile or two. Only yesterday we were told on a TV morning show that white bread is as every bite as good as the wholemeal with grains (more like parrot seeds to me). Also I have always taken full cream milk even hot with my nightly Ovaltine. Cheers to you all Cheers
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
170 of 182  Sat 10th Jun 2017 12:17pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:444

My father had a stroke in the 60's and was put on a diet by the hospital to lose weight. The diet sheet was quite simple - no sugar, no sweets, no fried food, no cakes, only two slices of "diet" bread a day and the odd crisp roll, exercise was not mentioned. Not surprisingly he never managed to stick to it. I gave up sugar during the shortage in the seventies but apart from that most things go, especially the odd drop of home brew Cheers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
171 of 182  Thu 22nd Jun 2017 11:48am  

Isn't technology wonderful? Oh my
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
172 of 182  Wed 28th Jun 2017 6:47pm  

Hi all, A train-line tragedy. Whilst the circumstances of this tragedy are not publicly known, it may be a timely reminder to us all to be aware of such risks. Whether the boy came into contact with ground cables or high voltage catenary cables, we just don't know. Until it flashes or goes bang, electricity is a silent killer. The high voltage catenary wires are set to minimum clearances so as to deter flashovers in normal circumstances. If we have adverse weather where the atmosphere is either charged or even ionised, those conditions can greatly affect the flashover distance, particularly if I as an example was standing close by, well earthed & with any exposed, pointed metallic conductor item on me. The 25,000 volts in the wire will do anything to make contact with earth. Sad Sad
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
173 of 182  Wed 5th Jul 2017 11:41am  

Some good news - for a change Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
174 of 182  Tue 18th Jul 2017 9:38am  

Hi all Wave There are often more sides to an issue just as there are two sides to a coin. The rise in life expectancy is levelling off, according to this report, which is citing austerity as the cause, but could it be obesity & affluence?
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
175 of 182  Tue 18th Jul 2017 12:16pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:846

One may think that obesity and austerity do not normally go hand in hand unless one believes that bad diet such as chips and bacon butties contribute to obesity. My niece left university qualified in forensics, that was three years ago and still cannot get a job in her chosen field. Or in any field. So, she now flips burgers part time in McDonalds and gets fatter every day, eating junk food. Her part time earnings of £82 a week do not permit her to indulge in a heathy diet. Yes, there are jobs available. Farm Foods at Jardine Crescent advertised for a shelf filler but as there was over eighty applicants she failed to get the job. I am ex-ambulance crew, when I look at the jobs available I realise there very few that I could apply for. This may also be of interest. Edited by member, 18th Jul 2017 12:23 pm
Just old and knackered

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
176 of 182  Tue 18th Jul 2017 2:56pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

On 18th Jul 2017 9:38am, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all Wave There are often more sides to an issue just as there are two sides to a coin. The rise in life expectancy is levelling off, according to this report, which is citing austerity as the cause, but could it be obesity & affluence?
Philip, I have never had much faith in statistics of any kind these days - for what they are worth. Times have changed, so too our way of life. More choices (for most of us) but not for the disadvantaged, so life expectancy will vary for some but not for all. Do you agree? Just my humble opinion you understand.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
177 of 182  Fri 21st Jul 2017 10:57am  

Hi all Wave Monks Kirby Church This is nearly Coventry, but I mention this as if any of our members listen to Radio 4s Bells on Sunday, the church here is often featured. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
178 of 182  Thu 27th Jul 2017 9:10am  

Morning all, A bit of sad news - Heritage railway shunt damage
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
179 of 182  Sat 12th Aug 2017 10:06am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:850

Hi all Just spent our first night with the new LED street lights they fitted yesterday. Instead of the warm orange glow we had before, we now have a vivid white light that lights the whole close. I looked out before bed and it was like daylight out there. I hope these can be tweaked down a bit, otherwise we will invest in some darker blinds. Moan over, have a nice day.
Milly rules

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
180 of 182  Sat 12th Aug 2017 10:31am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1022

I sympathize NormK. we have had bright street lights for a few years now. I had thermal blinds fitted in the end which are good for cutting out the lights and also useful in the summer for keeping the bedroom cool. I also have to make sure when I go to bed that the other bedroom doors are shut. We are on a corner so also side on to our neighbour who has a conservatory that they leave the light on all night and also a security lamp that seems to be continually coming on. My husband says you can't see when you close your eyes but I am sure you can. Moan over as well now, you will get it sorted, have a nice day too.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 166 to 180 of 182 posts

Page 12 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Fleet Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Maps of Coventry
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 77ms)