Next pageNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
1 of 23  Fri 22nd Jul 2011 6:19pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:537

I have only been a member of the Historic Coventry Forum for a short while, but what a difference it has made to me. It is so good to meet other Coventrians and share our memories. I feel as though I have a new set of friends. Rob your 'hobby' has turned in to a fantastic web site and I cannot thank you enough. I'm sure all the other members feel the same. Cheers Big grin Wave Thumbs up
Thank you, Rob!
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 23  Fri 22nd Jul 2011 7:40pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1125

And what a hobby this is! I certainly couldn't have picked a more rewarding thing to do in my spare time - and I couldn't have picked a nicer bunch of friends, either. Thumbs up The pleasure is all mine, believe me, and I'm just grateful that so many of you share it. Cheers to all.... Cheers Rob
Thank you, Rob!
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 23  Sat 23rd Jul 2011 12:02am  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:261

Yes Tricia I can only agree with all you say. This is such a lovely. Website I am always telling people about it... in fact was talking about it tonight at the Burnt Post! Thumbs up
Thank you, Rob!
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
4 of 23  Sat 23rd Jul 2011 8:45am  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:203

I live a few miles out of Coventry but would just like to say to any new people looking and reading these threads, don't get side tracked from this wonderful site by just reading and replying on the Forum, I've been on for sometime now and still finding things of interest like Blush I maybe related to Robs wife as I'm also from the Croft family tree Lol Thumbs up
Thank you, Rob!
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
5 of 23  Sat 23rd Jul 2011 12:48pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:597

I agree with all, Cheers Rob. Cheers Thumbs up
Thank you, Rob!
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 23  Sat 23rd Jul 2011 2:22pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3888

Wave Cheers Wave Cheers Wave Cheers Wave Cheers Thumbs up Thumbs up
Thank you, Rob!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 23  Sat 23rd Jul 2011 7:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4663

I WILL SECOND THAT ! Cheers Big grin
Thank you, Rob!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 23  Sun 24th Jul 2011 5:07am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2918

Needless to say - Me too Blush
Thank you, Rob!
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 23  Sun 24th Jul 2011 3:44pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1546

I'd like to know how Rob manages to find the time to create and look after a magnificent site like this! A big "Thank You" from me too! Thumbs up Tony
Thank you, Rob!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 23  Sun 24th Jul 2011 6:00pm  

Hi Rob, What's it like being famous ? You know the old saying 'Big oaks from little acorns grow" :0)
Thank you, Rob!
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 23  Thu 28th Jul 2011 11:19am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1125

On 24th Jul 2011 3:44pm, TonyS said: I'd like to know how Rob manages to find the time to create and look after a magnificent site like this!
You're all so kind! Blush The immediate answer that springs to mind, however, is that the quality of TV programmes is generally so poor nowadays that I'd rather be on my computer for a couple of hours on most evenings than watching yet another "reality" show..... most of which are so removed from reality that it makes you wonder what planet most TV people live on! Lol However, apart from a bit of tinkering to make improvements now and again, this forum really looks after itself. It's all of you who make it what it is, and long may it continue! As for being "famous".... well, that's something I generally hide away from in real life.... but if running this website makes me famous.... then I love it! Thumbs up Thank you!
Thank you, Rob!
sandylane

All posts by this member
12 of 23  Wed 3rd Aug 2011 5:47am  
Total posts:12

Yes Rob, a good site mate... all credit to "yer". Sandy Lane.
Thank you, Rob!
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
13 of 23  Tue 16th Aug 2011 8:15pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3888

On 28th Jul 2011 11:19am, Rob Orland said: ....the quality of TV programmes is generally so poor nowadays that I'd rather be on my computer for a couple of hours on most evenings than watching yet another "reality" show.....
It's your comments about television that make me wonder what other members think on this, Rob? I have Sky with the full range of channels (you can see my dish in one of my photos) yet, like you, my hours of tele' watching amount to about twelve per week. I spend more time watching dead actors than live (UK Gold) kind of thing. I do like the 'wireless' (splerp-blip-bloop) sorry just tuning in. When I bought my first colour tele (1973) and saw programmes like wild life documentaries in full colour, (remember them from the 'Gaumont') I thought that it was magic, but even that has paled off this last decade for me. Yet I really do enjoy listening to wild life programmes on the wireless as well as stories and chat info. Maybe it's me getting old. A good commentator can paint a good picture. What does everyone else think? Smile
Thank you, Rob!
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
14 of 23  Tue 16th Aug 2011 9:30pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:130

Until I was eight, when we went to my grandma's in Clifton-upon-Dunsmore, the evenings were a family, social affair. My mother had five siblings, most of whom were married and after tea, the table was cleared and the table cloth removed to reveal an old-fashioned, embroidered table cover. We used to talk about all sorts of things, play cards and dominoes and listen to a wind-up gramophone with doors. Then, for the Coronation, they bought a television. After that, the evenings were spent watching all sorts of rubbish such as No Hiding Place (Inspector Lockhart investigates), Sunday Night at the London Palladium and the 64,000 Question. I hated it! We never had a TV at home, although I did have brief encounters with the telly at friends' houses. My early working life was mending tellies, but I never really got on with the telly. Whenever I went to someone's house socially, I would always choose a chair with my back to the telly. It wasn't until later in life that I came to realise that it was those early experiences that had shaped my attitude to the telly. I much prefer listening to the radio, although, these days, much of that has become inane drivel.
Regards Innis Road

Thank you, Rob!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 23  Wed 17th Aug 2011 3:20am  

I know what you mean Philip, the book is always better than the movie. Give me a good book any time !
Thank you, Rob!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Bayley Lane
|

Next (newer) topic

Albany Motorcycle Spares
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 77ms)