Next pageNo action
52 posts:
Order:    

LongfordLad
Toronto
All posts by this member
31 of 52  Wed 9th Mar 2016 7:37pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2012  Total posts:195

THE BRAVE DON'T CRY - by no means a shabby film - was released in August, 1952. Given that the Forum was a second-run house, this film might have seen an audience there in late 1952, but more likely in early 1953, though not much later. Still and all, the years that have passed since then, not a bad stab (1949/50) as the time you first saw the movie at the Forum. Amazon.co.uk has the film (DVD) on offer for £16.99 (as of today). Your old mucker beside Lake Ontario in Toronto.
Non-Coventry - Favourite movies and film memories
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
32 of 52  Wed 9th Mar 2016 8:36pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Hi LL and thanks for your input. Have ordered the DVD this evening. Would also like to buy the film Blue Scars that, I think, hit the cinemas 1947ish. Possibly earlier though. 1953 I had just qualified as a shot firer and I thought I had seen the film before that. No bother, not the first mistake I have made, probably not the last.
Just old and knackered

LongfordLad
Toronto
All posts by this member
33 of 52  Fri 11th Mar 2016 12:37am  

BLUE SCAR was released in 1949. I tried the usual places, but no sign of this film currently available on DVD. Saw evidence that iot was available earlier this century - perhaps 2005 or such. My mother was a miner's daughter from Bedworth. Her maiden name was Wheatley. My son's name is Sam Wheatley (me mam's name) Terence (me wife's dad's name). So happy I could be of help.
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
34 of 52  Fri 11th Mar 2016 3:05am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:400

The film Blue Scar is apparently out of copyright and can be obtained from www.myrarefilms.co.uk for just £5.
LongfordLad
Toronto
All posts by this member
35 of 52  Fri 11th Mar 2016 5:32pm  

Well done, mcsporran. Just what Norman Conquest requested, I'm sure.
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
36 of 52  Tue 15th Mar 2016 1:22pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Thanks one and all. I am in touch with Rare Films and will probably buy a copy of Blue Scars if I get a better description of condition. Hey! It's only a fiver so will probably buy a copy anyway. I have many blue scars largely self inflicted because of ignoring NCB regulations on shot firing. I was thinking of showing a photograph of the blue scars on my legs but changed my mind, didn't want to get the lady forumites too excited.
Just old and knackered

Dreamtime
37 of 52  Wed 16th Mar 2016 1:07am  
Off-topic / chat  

Norman Conquest
38 of 52  Wed 16th Mar 2016 10:23am  
Off-topic / chat  

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
39 of 52  Wed 18th Oct 2017 9:16pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:564

Sorry if this has been started elsewhere, but I could only find Radio Memories. Anyway, here goes; I have just found a new section on Freeview. Category 81 (apparently it is also on Virgin 445) The Talking Picture Show. And they are all really old films and all the old actors I was brought up on, James Robertson Justice, Nigel Patrick, Diana Dors, Joan Collins, Geoffrey Keen Valerie Hobson Dirk Bogarde. But it isn`t just feature films or "B" movies, but war time information films, and even old Edgar Lustgarten introducing tales from "Old Scotland Yard". I`m afraid you can`t drag me away from all the old nostalgic "rubbish" Cheers
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
40 of 52  Wed 18th Oct 2017 10:08pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:400

You have to have an HD set to receive channel 81 although it's not an HD picture (obviously). There's also channel 82, Vintage TV for music videos.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
41 of 52  Wed 18th Oct 2017 10:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5018

Evening Roger Yes, perhaps worthy of a thread to highlight this channel It was mentioned before on the Hillman/Humber thread
On 21st Aug 2017 11:28am, Wearethemods said: Good day all, just noticed that 'Talking Pictures' Channel (Sky 343) has a short programme under the heading 'Glimpses' which features film of the Hillman/Humber factory in Coventry during the 1930's. It will be shown next Sunday evening (27th) at 8:45 pm. Thumbs up
I've watched several programmes from there, and there's a wide choice - it's quite worthwhile looking through the Sky Planner to see what's going to be on Thanks for reviving it Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
42 of 52  Sat 11th Nov 2017 4:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2364

Roger. Wonder if you are interested, or if you know, Dirk Bogarde grew up in a little village near here. His father was a sketch artist on a London paper, he bought a little cottage tucked away in this little Sussex village, then housed Dirk and his sister with a nanny in this cottage. Every morning they had to fetch milk from the village, and Dirk had to put fresh flowers on the altar of the smallest church in England. Not far away lived Virginia Wolfe, her sister Vanessa Bell a few yards from her, they formed the Bloomsbury group. David Niven, one of the first SAS guys, took part in the fatal Dieppe raid. I believe Basil Rathbone was SAS also. Sterling Hayden turned down the part in 'For whom the bell tolls' to join the war - he was one of the first OSS guys, ran arms to Tito's men. Patricia Roc, pin up girl to the RAF. Kay Kendal played the trumpet in Genevieve. John Gregson, yes great days, I could go on.
LongfordLad
Toronto
All posts by this member
43 of 52  Mon 13th Nov 2017 5:58pm  

Kay Kendall koughtya, Kaja - a bit of 1950s soundtrack wizardry. The trumpet solo was by Kenny Baker, leader of Kenny Baker's Dozen, a popular band of the day, regularly performing on radio.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
44 of 52  Tue 14th Nov 2017 12:51pm  

Longford Lad, not really, we all knew she didn't actually play the trumpet, like Tara Fitzgerald didn't play the trumpet 'Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto' in 'Brassed Off' and Kenny wasn't always Kenny Baker's Dozen. He did a stint with Ted Heath, I saw him a couple of times, once at 'Humph's' club. But most of those fifties guys learnt their music in the forces, where they had the space to practice. It was said of Lyttleton that he played rather than fire his rifle charging up some beach. But it's good to hear from you. Regards, Kaga.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
45 of 52  Mon 6th Aug 2018 10:36am  

Dreamtime, do you notice how a lot of the old days have come back but in different form? In the middle of the 80's I was watching tele, and the guy said, "the new musical of the Phantom of the Opera". I said quite loudly, to no one, "What the hell are you talking about?" My wife said "What's wrong?" For some weeks in Coventry we had been hearing about the scariest movie ever made, Lon Chaney in the 'Phantom of the Opera' - a gang of us queued up, paid our tuppence and watched it. We got our money's worth - at times the cinema was so quiet you could hear a mouse breathe. Then he appeared - girls screamed, boys booed and hissed, the audience came alive, hiding behind hands, squirming in the seats - can't remember if it was silent or not. We came out the cinema, and it went something like this: 'Well I wasn't frit'. 'You bl---y liar, Easty'. 'Yer were, our Tom, you hid behind the seat, and you said that naughty swear word and I'm telling Mam when we git ome'. 'Na, yer wont .cus I'll tell all the school yer wet yer knickers'. And they were at each other's throats, pulling hair, scratching each other - we pulled them apart. We had Bela Lugosi in Frankenstein, Boris Karloff in The Mummy, and many more, but the films then were realistic because for days after you were frightened to go down a cellar, or may be he was behind the door of the glory-hole under the stairs. And yesterday I heard they are bringing back the Bluebird - that caused us rows back then. My brother was nuts on the new cars and speed, and he kept turning the wireless band to hear if there was any news on the Bluebird trials, so we hid the accumulator.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 45 of 52 posts

Page 3 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Favourite Books
|

Next (newer) topic

Useless Information