No actionNo action
189 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
181 of 189  Sat 5th Oct 2019 5:22pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4255

Hi all Wave It doesn't hurt to have different provider email addresses. Say, keeping business separate from social. The tablet that I am using for this chat has no bank or transaction activities. The cost of devices nowadays makes that easier. Even a slight variation in the name. I wonder what our forum experts have to say on this? I limit my transaction sites. I don't plump for the cheapest cost of an item for a supplier that I am not likely to use again, just to save two pence.
Computer hints and tips - Computer hints and tips
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
182 of 189  Sat 5th Oct 2019 6:24pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1127

I agree Philip, on both points. I have four email addresses, each for a different purpose. I too restrict my suppliers to a short list. And I change passwords on a regular basis.
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
183 of 189  Sun 6th Oct 2019 2:04pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:293

I have just been reading about something called DEF CON that has a conference in Las Vegas annually. I found it very disturbing. It is an annual hackers conference with people worldwide attending and lecturing . See wikipedia or you tube. Edited by member, 6th Oct 2019 3:53 pm
rufford155
Lytham UK and Madeira
All posts by this member
184 of 189  Thu 21st Nov 2019 1:22pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2019  Total posts:23

DEF CON is a conference for ethical, honest hackers. They are the good guys helping to keep you safe by finding the flaws and exploits in software that the developers need to patch. Nothing at all to worry about. Whilst I am no expert, I do take two computer magazines, so I have noticed some other misconceptions on this thread. "Have I been pwned" is a perfectly legitimate, safe and useful website to find out if your email address(es) and/or password(s) have been compromised. Kaspersky is certainly not ineffective as suggested earlier - in fact it is actually the best there is. My magazines conduct an annual test of all available AV suites and Kasperksy has come top for at least the last five years. There was some controversy when the USA raised concerns because its founder is Russian but that was a red herring. Remembering lots of passwords - yes, you can keep a list as I do, but it's in coded hints which nobody would understand. At least 14 characters are recommended - random phrases work well. I have never been hacked and never had a virus but I still get plenty of spam every day. There are so many hacked databases out there it's inevitable that someone somewhere has your email address. Some of my spam comes from people pretending to be members of a rambling club that I belonged to years ago. Clearly one of the members has had their address book hacked. There is a way in Outlook (Office 365) that I use to check if the sending address is genuine before opening the message. Most decent email clients should have this facility.
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
185 of 189  Thu 21st Nov 2019 1:27pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:293

Interesting, Rufford. What is an ethical honest hacker and how do you recognize one. As a layman I am alarmed at any mention of hacking.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
186 of 189  Thu 21st Nov 2019 1:36pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:637

Kaspersky in my book are completely unethical. Once you have signed up they will do their very best to not let you go. Not by persuasion but by deceit, they make it extremely difficult to discover how to unsubscribe. I use eset, and so far it hasn't let me down.
rufford155
Lytham UK and Madeira
All posts by this member
187 of 189  Fri 22nd Nov 2019 6:57pm  

On 21st Nov 2019 1:27pm, argon said: Interesting, Rufford. What is an ethical honest hacker and how do you recognize one. As a layman I am alarmed at any mention of hacking.
Sorry I don't understand. Why would you want to recognise a hacker? If you have been hacked it wouldn't have been an ethical one, would it? As I said, they tell the companies/corporations when they find a problem with software so it can be patched before criminals can exploit it. I'll try not to mention hacking again if it upsets you, let's just pretend it never happens.
rufford155
Lytham UK and Madeira
All posts by this member
188 of 189  Fri 22nd Nov 2019 7:00pm  

On 21st Nov 2019 1:36pm, Heathite said: Kaspersky in my book are completely unethical. Once you have signed up they will do their very best to not let you go. Not by persuasion but by deceit, they make it extremely difficult to discover how to unsubscribe. I use eset, and so far it hasn't let me down.
I pay annually so why unsubscribe in the middle of the contract ? When it runs out just don't renew it !
rufford155
Lytham UK and Madeira
All posts by this member
189 of 189  Fri 22nd Nov 2019 7:04pm  

Read about the Def Con here.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 189 of 189 posts

Page 13 of 13