Next pageNo action
260 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
241 of 260  Fri 23rd Jun 2017 9:33am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

OK, so it's not "Coventry Speedway", but some vintage Chris "Bomber" Harris action riding for Peterborough at Sheffield last night. Enjoy Thumbs up
Coventry Speedway
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
242 of 260  Fri 23rd Jun 2017 11:12am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3861

Hi & thank you, I did enjoy, but where was the crowd?
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
243 of 260  Fri 23rd Jun 2017 11:53am  

The terracing on the far side at Owlerton - ie between the first and third bends - has been closed for many years (a lot of tracks have done this with declining attendances). Some stand under the cover between the third and fourth bends, but generally spectators choose the area in front of the main glass fronted grandstand or inside in the bar and restaurant areas Thumbs up
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
244 of 260  Mon 7th Aug 2017 5:44pm  

Another clip of Chris Harris in typical racing action, at yesterday's Championship Fours event at Peterborough Cheers
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
245 of 260  Tue 15th Aug 2017 6:48pm  

Statement today from "Save Coventry Speedway and Stox"
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
246 of 260  Sun 17th Sep 2017 7:48am  

Coventry 'Bees' are back in track action this afternoon at Beaumont Park, Leicester (2pm) when they race in a challenge match for The East Midlands Bowl against Premiership side Leicester 'Lions'. The 'Bees' line up is: Scott Nicholls, Adam Roynon, Hans Andersen, Kenneth Hansen, Rory Schlein, Joe Jacobs, Rob Shuttleworth. Danny King and Josh Bates, 2016 'Bees' riders, will be appearing for Leicester, and the trophy will be presented to the winners by Nigel Boocock's grandson Jack. The meeting also features the final round of the British Youth Championship, which includes former 'Bees' mascots, the Thompson twins (Joe and Dan).
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
247 of 260  Sun 17th Sep 2017 10:27pm  

Leicester Lions : 50 Kim Nilsson 10, Josh Bates 7+3, Lasse Bjerre 7+1, Pawel Przedpelski R/R, Danny King 14, Jan Graversen 5+2, Kyle Newman 7 Coventry Bees : 43 Scott Nicholls 10+1, Adam Roynon 0, Hans Andersen 14, Kenneth Hansen 5, Rory Schlein 11+1, Joe Jacobs 2, Rob Shuttleworth 1 British Youth Championship Final Round, 250cc : 1. Joe Thompson, 2. Dan Thompson
Coventry Speedway
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
248 of 260  Fri 22nd Sep 2017 5:36am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:213

Remember the Bunty's buses to Wembley for the World Championships Finals? My sister (back row, second from the left) and I think this is from 1963, when the Bees were represented by Nigel Boocock, Jim Lightfoot, Olle Soderman and Ron Mountford was reserve. Ove Fundin won it from Bjorn Knutsson and Barry Briggs. Anyone recognise themselves? I'm back row, on the right. Edited by member, 22nd Sep 2017 5:37 am
True Blue Coventry Kid

Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
249 of 260  Sat 23rd Sep 2017 12:09pm  

Mention of Olle Soderman, JW Thumbs up His time with Bees was too early for me (1956-58) but how I wish I'd seen him in his debut season. Per Olaf Soederman first appeared in black & gold on 11 August 1956, scoring a 15 point maximum at home to Oxford. By the time of his last appearance that season, on 15 September, when he scored another 15 point maximum at home to Swindon, he had featured in 42 races, of which he had won 39, and been beaten only three times, by Alby Golden at Southampton, and Ken McKinlay (Leicester) and Jack Biggs (Poole) at Brandon. His calculated average for those eight meetings was 11.71 (out of 12). He started off 1957 in a similar vein with a paid and a full maximum from his first two meetings, followed by a 13 point return in the following meeting. Double figure scores featured largely throughout the season, apart from three disastrous meetings. When Bees lost at home to Oxford 43-53, Olle returned only a five point score, with a 2 minute exclusion, a tapes exclusion and a retirement in his five races. At Birmingham, Bees lost 29-67, Olle failed to win a race, with two seconds, three thirds and a last place giving him seven points from six races. Even worse for Bees was a 24-72 defeat at Southampton, and Olle's return was two seconds, two thirds and two retirements, for six points. He didn't appear for Bees in 1958 until 12 July, when he recorded 13 points from 5 rides. Next meeting he returned only a paid five score from five rides, then he reeled off a series of double points scores - 12, 14, 14, 15 - before his scores dropped off alarmingly, with retuns of 5, 7+1, 6+1, 7 and 7, each from five rides. That was the end of his Bees career, having featured in 8 meetings in 1956, 14 in 1957 and only 11 in 1958. He reached four World Championship Finals. 1956, not surprisingly, given his Bees form, was his best, when, after a pointless first ride, he finished with 10 points, for sixth place behind champion Ove Fundin. The following year he appeared again at The Empire Stadium, returning a seven point score for 9th place. In the 1963 final, which Johnnie Walker refers to, he finished 12th with five points (Nigel Boocock was 7th with eight, Jim Lightfoot 14th with four, Ron Mountford (reserve) did not ride). When the 1966 final was held at Ullevi, Gothenburg, it was a miserable night for Olle, with just one point to show and last place.
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
250 of 260  Sun 5th Nov 2017 12:29pm  

"Memories of Coventry Speedway" DVD now on sale Thumbs up
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
251 of 260  Mon 6th Nov 2017 6:11pm  

Former Bee Henryk Zyto celebrated his 81st birthday on 1 November - however I understand that he is not in good health and there are financial problems too Here is the Pole in happier times
Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
252 of 260  Sun 12th Nov 2017 6:18pm  

It is reported today that former Bees rider Antonin Kasper has passed away at the age of 85 Nicknamed "Buzz", the Czechoslovakian international rode for Coventry in 1968 and 1969, followed by a season at West Ham
Coventry Speedway
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
253 of 260  Mon 13th Nov 2017 1:05am  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:366

Very sad to hear of the death of Antonin Kasper. I remember the Bees signing him in 1968 as a replacement for the badly injured Ron Mountford. Prior to this signing Bees had fielded an all British team for several years. RIP Buzz. Edited by member, 13th Nov 2017 1:06 am
Coventry Speedway
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
254 of 260  Mon 13th Nov 2017 2:12am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:213

He was a tough guy! Early in his Bees career, he fell at Brandon and was taken to hospital with a damaged shoulder. As I spoke a bit of Czech and "Polish Mick" - his usual interpreter - wasn't available, Charles despatched me (working on the track staff that night) along with Kasper in the ambulance. Once the leathers were peeled off, he took complete control of the situation. He told them through me that he'd broken his collar bone before, knew exactly what was needed, and then proceeded to show the hospital doctors how he wanted it strapped up. Needless to say, he was racing again very soon!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Coventry Speedway
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
255 of 260  Tue 14th Nov 2017 8:22pm  

From the SGB website: Leicester Speedway can confirm they have been approached by Coventry Bees promoter Mick Horton with a view to hosting meetings at Beaumont Park in 2018. The proposal is for National League racing to take place with the Bees in action on Sunday afternoons and this will have no impact on the Watling JCB Lions at Premiership level. Any agreement is subject to terms and conditions being met by Mr Horton, paperwork being completed and Coventry successfully gaining entry into the National Development League. Leicester Speedway remain deeply saddened by the loss of Brandon Stadium for the Bees but see this as an opportunity for the club to gain valuable income which will help underpin Beaumont Park as a successful sporting facility. Any agreement is for one season only with an option for either party to discuss further in 12 months time. We must emphasise this is not a track share, contrary to a newspaper report, and that Mick Horton will be renting the stadium from Leicester Speedway to host Coventry meetings. A further update will be issued once the arrangement is formally concluded and more news updates from the Watling JCB Lions will be issued as and when riders are signed for the new Premiership season. This is the Coventry Telegraph article.
Coventry Speedway

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 241 to 255 of 260 posts

Page 17 of 18

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 ... 14 15 16 17 18
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Things you see
|

Next (newer) topic

Union Street
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 54ms)