No actionNo action
7 posts:
Order:    

Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
1 of 7  Sat 29th Dec 2012 10:34am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:909

This shot is described as an 'Engine Packing Company' but where? Engine Packing Co. Engine Packing (2) Engine Packing (3)
Packing company mystery photos
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
2 of 7  Sat 29th Dec 2012 10:47am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:855

This was called CKD ( complete knock down) Location? no idea with such a variety of manufacturers Sad
Milly rules

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 7  Sat 29th Dec 2012 11:15am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1560

Hi Foxcote, Regarding the second link, I do know that "Perkins" engines were packed by a company called "A B Packing" (named after the owner's surnames; Armstrong & Baker) in the 1950's. They were based near the top of Bayton Road, Exhall in the mid-late 50's - but don't know where they were based before this time.
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
4 of 7  Sat 29th Dec 2012 11:47am  

Hello TonyS, that's some good information Thumbs up It's tantalising on the photo's, I found another shot of 'Perkins' engines being crated up but no tips as to location as far as I can see. I thought I'd found an address on a crate and tried and tried to read it and in the end I discovered it read 'Do Not Return Crate' Roll eyes Perkins
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
5 of 7  Wed 2nd Jan 2013 3:24pm  

Referring to 43/74, I found a photo of a packing company in Canley. Motor Packing Co. Motor Packing Co. Image 2
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
6 of 7  Fri 4th Jan 2013 4:37pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:215

On 2nd Jan 2013 3:24pm, Foxcote said: Referring to 43/74, I found a photo of a packing company in Canley. Motor Packing Co. Motor Packing Co. Image 2
I'm not sure of the location of the factory in the photo's but there was a building in Curriers Close, Canley, down by the railway line past Hibberd & Sons (Haulage) and the Lucas factory called 'W T Packaging', I worked there for nine years and we were exporting JCBs in PKD and CKD form, we also used to do CKD Masseys for export when the main exporter of Masseys at DK Packing Lawford Heath had a job handling the quantities for export. I was told that there was a timber yard on the right hand side of Curriers Close in the old days and the building we used was an old timber drying shed, does anyone have any info or photos of this industrial estate from years ago as I would like to see them. Here are some JCBs ready for export to South Africa at Curriers Close And this was at Lawford Heath doing PCD and CKD for Massey Ferguson.
Triumph - 'The Best Motorcycle in the World'.

Vtopian
Hertfordshire
All posts by this member
7 of 7  Sat 5th Jan 2013 8:25am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:48

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, I worked for a company supplying Massey-Ferguson in the mid eighties, and I can give some idea of numbers involved in the export of tractor kits (given how big a concern MF was, maybe other forum members were involved also?). The big contracts seemed to be in the middle east, and ran to many thousands of vehicles! Whenever Banner Lane slowed down a little, suddenly the export numbers would increase, and our company would have to work overtime to fill the orders! I derive certain pleasure in the idea that people are ploughing all over the world with Coventry-built tractors; they certainly were made to last!
ManFromVtopia

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Dandies sent to Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Bus crashes