No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

john bishop
leicester
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Fri 4th Jan 2013 5:50am  
Disabled: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:76

In November 14 1940 500 planes of the the German Luftwaffe bombed Coventry City centre.Their code name for this operation was Moonlight Sonata. Edna Viner was an off duty probationary nurse. A lovely starry moonlit night, With extra incandescent light, Parachutes with chandelier flares, Edna Viner sits and stares. Alighting from a city bus, Bemused, blinking, what's the fuss? Air raid sirens howled, moaned, "I bet it's Birmingham" she groaned. "Not here I hope, it's my night out, My one and only drinking bout" Then calling in to see her friend, Her leisure time, soon to end. At once the symphony began, Coventry reacts to Hitler's plan, Incendiary bombs clatter down, Like Christmas lights all around. Buckets of sand douse the flames, Ladies help in human chains, Searchlights probed the sky around, Fire engine's bells resound. The sharp bark of Bofor guns, The glistening sweat of Coventry's sons, High explosive bombs thud down, To shake the heart of this boom town. Fire watchers on roof tops high, Silhouetted against the sky, Buildings seem to leave the ground, Bricks, mortar, spewed around. The old Cathedral gets it next, As if deserved of no respect, High explosive bombs come first, Then when the lofty steeple bursts. Showers of incendiaries fall all round, Blackening the very ground, Just one great wall of searing fire, For those inside a funeral pyre. Cov and Warwick's hospital now. All the staff survived somehow, They worked all night, did their best. Still 520 were laid to rest. "Moolight Sonata" on YouTube The London Blitz and the Bombing of Coventry in 1940 By: John Bishop (UK) Copyright John Bishop 2004 - All rights reserved-jobee --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moonlight Sonata
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Fri 4th Jan 2013 10:57am  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:537

Welcome John. Wave An absolutely brilliant poem; I would love to read any more that you have written. Thumbs up
Moonlight Sonata
john bishop
leicester
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Fri 4th Jan 2013 3:09pm  

There are about 150 on this forum, select any you want for this forum, Thank you for your kind remarks. john videos attached. click or cut and paste. http://parareunionclub.freeforums.org/poets-corner-f9.html
Moonlight Sonata
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Sat 5th Jan 2013 9:12am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4663

On 4th Jan 2013 3:09pm, john bishop said: There are about 150 on this forum, select any you want for this forum, Thank you for your kind remarks. john videos attached. click or cut and paste. http://parareunionclub.freeforums.org/poets-corner-f9.html
Thanks for all this, John Thumbs up Our members will be able to access them directly without the need for them to be posted onto this forum
Moonlight Sonata
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Sat 5th Jan 2013 2:36pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:597

Brilliant Words. Thumbs up
Moonlight Sonata
john bishop
leicester
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Mon 7th Jan 2013 4:30pm  
Off-topic / chat  

john bishop
leicester
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Mon 7th Jan 2013 4:50pm  
Off-topic / chat  

john bishop
leicester
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Fri 11th Jan 2013 7:44am  

The relations of Edna Viner [lady in poem] have informed me she is buried in Allesley church yard.
Moonlight Sonata

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Bus crashes
|

Next (newer) topic

Trade swapping
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 211ms)