No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Tue 26th Jul 2011 7:50pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1550

I've recently rediscovered some old birthday cards addressed to my father at 47 Lockhurst Lane. I know my grandmother lived at sixty-something Lockhurst Lane (and that property is still standing), but that would have been on the opposite side of the road. I dont ever remember my father talking of living at "number 47" so I was wondering where that house would have been, and what happened to it? Anyone any idea?
Lockhurst Lane (42)
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Tue 26th Jul 2011 8:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3969

That is at the Courtaulds or Stag & Pheasant pub end, Tony. I will have a look soon.
Lockhurst Lane (42)
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Tue 26th Jul 2011 8:34pm  

Thanks Philip, I know it must have been there or thereabouts, but ive not seen any houses on that side in my lifetime and wondered what happened to them. From memory I think the birthday cards were celebrating my fathers 21 st birthday (they resemble simple postcards) which would make the year 1940. I seem to remember talk of Courtaulds being hit and wondered if these house were bombed at the same time? But memories play tricks at times! Wink
Lockhurst Lane (42)
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Tue 26th Jul 2011 9:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3969

I have just been in my car to the Stag, which is the first building in Lockhurst lane on the odd side which is No97. I cannot remember any other buildings there other than some thing next to the Stag. It might need a visit to the street registers which are now kept in the Herbert building, Tony. Sad Courtaulds was badly hit, with the section the canal side of the clock going completely. I don't know who to ask. Just fifteen years ago there were a dozen people who could have answered the query. Gosh! This does make me feel old. Lol
Lockhurst Lane (42)
artful
lancashire
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Fri 7th Oct 2011 9:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:140

Hi Phillip, If the Stag is No 97, there surely would not have been enough room for an additional 25 houses between the Stag and Pridmore Rd. Even if there was room,where abouts would Nos 1 to 45 have been. Did houses get demolished to make way for Courtaulds some time before the war??? Looking forward to your research.
Lockhurst Lane (42)
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Sat 8th Oct 2011 9:48am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4902

According to the 1911-12 Stennells Directory : Stag & Pheasant was no 31 - before that was Clarendon Terrace (1a to 15) and then odd nos 23 to 29 Crow in the Oak was no 151 After no 155 was "narrow lane to left" - future Kingfield Road maybe?
Lockhurst Lane (42)
artful
lancashire
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Sat 8th Oct 2011 5:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:140

Thanks for that Midland Red. It means No 47 would have been some 8 houses past the Stag going towards Holbrooks. My recollections of Lockhurst Lane only date from the latter years of the Forties,and I do not recall houses there, only Courtaulds Cricket Club and latterly offices.
Lockhurst Lane (42)
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Sat 7th Jan 2012 3:21pm  

What an idiot! I was certain that the old address I refer to in my original post was "number 47" - but having rediscovered the old birthday "postcards" last night, I now find that my fathers address just before the war was in fact No 42 - which would put it on the opposite side of the road!! Sorry folks for any time spent on my behalf looking for 47 when it should have been 42 Blush Thumbs up There are even some birthday (post)cards dated 1928 sent to him at "Gulson Ward, Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital". You wouldn't have thought people would POST birthday cards to a hospital Oh my ... and others, dated around 1930, addressed to him at the "Corley Open Air School"
Lockhurst Lane (42)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

The Emporium - at The Wolfe
|

Next (newer) topic

Photo poser 6
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category