Next pageLast page
98 posts:
Order:    

diggerdave
birmingham
All posts by this member
16 of 98  Sat 7th Jan 2012 7:46pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:9

On 7th Jan 2012 12:14am, mayjan said: ....found my late Husbands group, THE COUNTDOWNS on there.
I have a bit of a memory of them, possibly from the Matrix. (Which reminds me, there has been a lot of memorial celebrations of Reg Calvert over the last couple of Years ) I think we even tried to get them to play at the Cortina Club.
Live Local Music, Artists & Venues
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
17 of 98  Sat 7th Jan 2012 9:09pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2273

On 7th Jan 2012 12:14am, mayjan said: Thanks for the link to HOBO Morgana, found my late Husbands group, THE COUNTDOWNS on there. Gary Mayo the drummer was my Husband,very happy memories ! Thumbs up Smile Happy
Wave Hellow Mayjan so happy I ve helped you find your husbands band how wonderful bet your so proud Smile
rojwhittle
derbyshire
All posts by this member
18 of 98  Sun 8th Jan 2012 9:41pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:57

I remember the Countdowns, The matadors and Jigsaw, who all played at the Heath and The General Wolfe at some time or another. I knew Gary Mayo,Jan, a very nice guy, and often wondered whether he was related to Eddy Mayo, a friend of my Dad, from Riley.
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 98  Sun 8th Jan 2012 10:52pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:263

How nice Rojwhttle that you remember Gary, as you say everyone said what a nice guy he was. There are only two members of the group alive now, Gary passed away nearly six years ago and the lead guitarist John Harris also passed away about 3 years ago. They did have a regular booking at the Chesford Grange in the Cellar Bar as was then. Myself and the bass guitarists Wife used to go along to some of the gigs there. I recall dancing one night and a lad came and started dancing opposite me,then he said do you know the drummer cause he is looking daggers at me lol,Gary was very jealous at that time ! As far as I know there wasn't an Eddy in the family but it could have been a distant cousin. Thumbs up Smile
rojwhittle
derbyshire
All posts by this member
20 of 98  Sun 8th Jan 2012 11:27pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:57

How sad to hear of Gary and John, whom I also knew reasonably well. I used to go to the Chesford often as I lived in Kenilworth for a time. I think the Countdowns also used to perform in Rugby quite a bit, and I think they were one of the supports when the Alan Price Set did the 'Tech', alongside Sam Spade and the Gravediggers? Eddy Mayo was of my father's generation, if still around he would be 102 ish now. He was, I think, Chief Engineer at Riley in the Nuffield era, when it was really part of Morris Engines. Strange to think of all these crossing of paths. I even had a little jam session once with Gary and a guy from Kenilworth whose name I forget. I had the idea of starting a sort of jazz fusion outfit, but I think I wasn't up to it. Great days, those, and I'm sure you have many happy memories.
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
21 of 98  Mon 9th Jan 2012 10:36am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

A mention of Reg Calvert reminds me that his daughter, Susan Moore (who lives at Corley) recently wrote and produced a play about his controversial life, SCHOOL OF ROCK 'N' ROLL / DEATH OF A PIRATE. I helped her with some of the publicity for the show which was covered by Midlands Today in November. PINKERTON'S ASSORTED COLOURS were the guest band for the production at the Abbey Theatre, Nuneaton.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 98  Fri 11th May 2012 7:30am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:994

If anyone enjoys great live music, there's a treat on tonight at the BROOMFIELD TAVERN.... the Trevor Burton Blues Band are playing there, and we'll be taking our son to see them. There's no fee - just turn up, have a drink, and watch and enjoy! Here's the Google Map Location Trevor Burton first found fame in the super 60s band The Move, but since leaving them he played with some of the greats and is now touring his own blues band. I look forward to seeing any of you there who can make it tonight.... and special thanks to member Genghis Smith for letting me know about it last night. Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
23 of 98  Fri 11th May 2012 9:13pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3824

Hi all Wave I am sorry that I was home too late to go. That is after I had followed the google link to see exactly where the venue was last evening. Sad Hope all who went have enjoyed themselves.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
24 of 98  Sat 12th May 2012 2:35am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2845

Was there plenty of room Rob or was it standing room only. Hope you enjoyed the evening Cheers
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
25 of 98  Sat 12th May 2012 10:00am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:830

He's excellent, I saw him at the jazz festival a few years back. I believe he also tours with Bev Bevan as The Move as well.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
26 of 98  Sat 12th May 2012 4:54pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:994

What a gig that was! Trevor Burton and the band were absolutely marvellous and didn't disappoint at all.... they're all extremely experienced and accomplished, and friendly, too. Mr. Burton even found time to chat to our Steve after the show to give advice to a future budding guitarist! A real gent and extraordinary musician! The only thing that was odd was the tiny size of the venue. I'd never been to the Broomfield Tavern before, so for a band of such high repute I was expecting a large place - but it was just their back room, with a maximum of about 15 to 20 of us "packing" the place out! Still a super experience though, with my favourite blend of blues & rock. Those of you with sensitive ears might not have had such a good time though - it was extremely loud, although to be honest, that kind of music is somehow enhanced by higher volume. I'll now look forward to seeing him with Bev Bevan and The Move some time later this year if the opportunity arises. Oh well, a bit off the beaten track for Historic Coventry - but it did, at least, happen here in Coventry, so I make no apologies for mentioning it! Wink Cheers
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
27 of 98  Sat 12th May 2012 5:58pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:830

It's a shame there isn't a venue like the Assembly in Coventry - they have fantastic lineup of gigs. I guess that's what happens when you demolish all the old theatres/dance halls/cinemas. I went into the Leofric once about ten years ago and there was what looked like a great ballroom/music venue inside. Don't even start me on the pathetic 'kasbah' and their recent argument with Thin Lizzy.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
28 of 98  Sun 30th Sep 2012 2:25am  

Not local music I am afraid, but I have enjoyed reading this one again. More tears in the eyes as I was listening to the Beach Boys last night, they were great were they not ? However the reason for this post - I was sorry to hear Andy Williams had died. His Christmas shows were spectacular. Not everyones favourite but there goes another one of the 'greats'. Sad
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
29 of 98  Sun 30th Sep 2012 2:56am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3044

On 30th Sep 2012 2:25am, Dreamtime said: However the reason for this post - I was sorry to hear Andy Williams had died. His Christmas shows were spectacular. Not everyones favourite but there goes another one of the 'greats'. Sad
I expect the news takes longer to travel to Australia? Big grin Andy made some pretty decent records. I remember buying his 'Happy Hearts' LP at Fennells in the Lower Precinct in 1970 for 37/6 but was miffed to find his latest single 'Fools Rush In' was not included. I would have had to buy his 'Greatest Hits' LP to obtain that! Sad
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
30 of 98  Sun 30th Sep 2012 12:08pm  

Oh, go on then !! He had a lovely voice and sang with such ease. Never looked as if he was in agony like they do today. Wave

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 30 of 98 posts

Page 2 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Antelope Motor Cycle Club
|

Next (newer) topic

Static water tanks
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 79ms)