No actionNo action
30 posts:
Order:    

flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 30  Sun 16th Jun 2013 12:21pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:838

A venue would be good for bringing people into the city centre. Coventry city centre should be the main regional centre for almost 700,000 people - at the moment it's failing to take advantage of that.
Music venues
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
17 of 30  Mon 29th Jun 2015 1:27pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2635

Holyhead Road Youth Centre - Concert that Led to 7 Day Protest
Music venues
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
18 of 30  Mon 30th May 2016 2:00am  

I went to the Albany Theatre tonight to see Folk-Rock legends, Fairport Convention. What a gem of a venue! Looks fabulous inside. The sound was excellent and the band player superbly. Poorly attended, though. I've seen the band play bigger venues in smaller towns and fill them. Having said that, I've not seen any promotion for this gig. Almost a perfect location for a concert venue: on site car park and a hotel.
Music venues
Midland Red

All posts by this member
19 of 30  Mon 30th May 2016 8:07am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4265

Interesting, flapdoodle - there's some photos on here I took in 2013 when it was just being opened up Has it changed since then?
Music venues
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 30  Mon 30th May 2016 8:45am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:473

I'd seen no advertising for about the theatre either but its webpage is here with a list of what's on
Music venues
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
21 of 30  Mon 30th May 2016 10:43am  

MR, it still looks the same. A friend who came with me (not from Coventry) thought it was a fantastic place and was surprised Coventry even had such a cool venue. I last went there about 20 years when I was a student and the Polytechnic music society used to stage their shows there.
Music venues
Midland Red

All posts by this member
22 of 30  Wed 19th Oct 2016 4:12pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4265

On 25th Apr 2013 7:34pm, Annewiggy said:
On 18th Jan 2013 5:10pm, nirvana said: Hi Foxcote can you please tell me where the 'Blue Nile Club' was situated on the Radford Road?
I think it was in what was originally the cinema, it then became the bowling alley and there was a club upstairs which I am sure was the Blue Nile Club, it was a gambling club as well. It is now the bingo.
That would be The Savoy, then? Marianne Faithfull at The Blue Nile Club in 1965 Thumbs up
Music venues
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
23 of 30  Wed 19th Oct 2016 5:02pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:996

I went there once in the 60's. It was a gambling club with roulette tables etc. I had never been anywhere like it before.
Music venues
Potters Green Lad
Long Lawford Rugby
All posts by this member
24 of 30  Thu 20th Oct 2016 7:26pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:36

There used to be a folk club upstairs in the Colin Campbell pub on a Thursday night once upon a time and it was customary to take a tape machine along to tape any bands that appealed. My brother dragged his old 6" spool to spool recorder down there one night on the bus and the next morning told me he had recorded a band on stage the night before who seemed quiet good, he struggled for a while to think of their name then it came to him, Fleetwood Mac! We had the tape floating around the house for many years before it disappeared into the bin during one of mum's spring cleans. I was also lucky to catch David Bowie on stage playing warm up to the Small Faces, Stevie Marriott stormed off stage at one point in a prima donna gesture but it was obvious to everybody there that Bowie was the star that night
Music venues
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
25 of 30  Fri 21st Oct 2016 9:13am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:286

On 20th Oct 2016 7:26pm, Potters Green Lad said: I was also lucky to catch David Bowie on stage playing warm up to the Small Faces, Stevie Marriott stormed off stage at one point in a prima donna gesture but it was obvious to everybody there that Bowie was the star that night
Hi, Potters Green Lad. What year/month was that ?

Question

Music venues
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
26 of 30  Fri 21st Oct 2016 11:23am  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:86

I have seen David Bowie a couple of times and have to agree he was a great performer, I have seen the Small Faces many times at the Rock House and the Jazz club at the Leofric among other venues during the 60's. I have also seen Steve Marriott preform solo a few times as well as with Humble Pie, it's my opinion he was one the greatest vocalists of his time. RIP Steve.
Music venues
Potters Green Lad
Long Lawford Rugby
All posts by this member
27 of 30  Fri 21st Oct 2016 10:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:36

Haven't a clue what year Bowie and the Faces played the Coventry Theatre But it was definitely a magical night, the best are special for a reason, and the very best seem as if they are performing personally for you. A couple of other massively talented artists who I have had the privilege to see perform when they were at the top of their game were Billy Joel and the God that is Meatloaf. My only claim to pop fame is that as a truck mechanic many years ago before I took a desk job I replaced the prop-shaft on Rod Stewarts tour bus one night when it broke down at the NEC I've stopped waiting for the call from Simon Cowell!
Music venues
seeley-jones
Blackpool
All posts by this member
28 of 30  Tue 11th Apr 2017 8:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:16

Hi, used to play in several Coventry groups - The Stranger, The Darkness, Night Train, etc. Remember going out one evening to see Long John Baldry & The Steam Packet, Brian Auger Trinity, Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll, at The Jazz Club at Hotel Leofric. Dave
David Seeley-Jones

Music venues
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
29 of 30  Wed 12th Apr 2017 3:40am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3088

Morning all you 'boys'. You are all giving your ages away, but you have to agree good music never dies and those names you mention will never be forgotten. My granddaughter plays Fleetwood Mac to this day.
Music venues
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
30 of 30  Wed 12th Apr 2017 8:32am  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:86

On 11th Apr 2017 8:29pm, seeley-jones said: Remember going out one evening to see Long John Baldry & The Steam Packet, Brian Auger Trinity, Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll, at The Jazz Club at Hotel Leofric. Dave
I must have been there the same night as your good self, I too remember seeing the above mentioned at the Jazz club along with many other great bands during the sixties. Regards Edited by member, 12th Apr 2017 9:39 am
Music venues

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 30 of 30 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Working Men's and Social clubs
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry bakers / bakeries
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 53ms)