Next pageLast page
632 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 632  Thu 28th Jul 2011 7:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3945

Today, I visited Longford park as I start to re-trace my school age days memories. Over the coming weeks, I intend to cover an arc starting at Longford and finishing in an area of Wyken Croft, which I am calling phase one. If after, I am still able, later phase two will then continue round to encompass Caludon Park. Longford park has received a lot of time & money and that was the impression that first greeted me. It's an ornamental park with well defined metalled paths & flower beds. The Sowe enters the park at the Longford Rd. end & even with the relative dry weather of late, was running clear & well. The two brooks which run into the Sowe were well weeded and barely moving. It may be the extensive private housing developments that have forced this make-over which the park has received. At ten am today, the paths were being well used by a wide section of the community. The Aldermans Green end will receive my attention next time. Some parts of this venture may require my bike, but I will cross that as it comes. Once I am familiar with the bus routes, I might be ok. ps I like the new edit history record.
Longford (inc. The Red Hills)
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 632  Sat 30th Jul 2011 3:10pm  

Longford Park. I cannot remember it being so pleasant to walk or rest in. Maybe my eyes have been shut on previous visits! The Sowe at the Aldermans Green end. The Longford Rd end. The willows on the slopes to the river. I can hardly say that I hope the pics bring back happy memories, as I have no previous recollection of the park looking so nice over its entirety.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
3 of 632  Sat 30th Jul 2011 3:31pm  

Before I load anymore pictures, I need to learn how to let you see them in a manner that does not swamp this site. I might need some education as to how to do it more economically. Help, but please be gentle with me. In the mean time, I am including a reply from my friend to my email questions about the smoking hills. Hello Philip We've attached a section of a 1955 ordnance survey map. A railway line linked the canal basins to Wyken Old Main Pit and Alexandra Colliery, crossing Deedmore Road close to Walsgrave Colliery School, which changed its name to Eburne School (which is now Coventry City Mission premises). The 'burning banks' section which you call 'smoking hills' was the section to the right of Brickyard Cottages on the map. I rode along this burning section four times a day on my way to and from school at Foxford. That was the reply from our life long friends, Doreen & Hayden. These smoking hills were very real & all part of our history. I have not attached the map to this site at present. I will wait until I have been educated in the art of downloading.
Gilly
Melbourne Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 632  Sun 31st Jul 2011 5:51am  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 632  Tue 2nd Aug 2011 8:09am  
Off-topic / chat  

IslandCafe
Plymouth, Devon
All posts by this member
6 of 632  Tue 2nd Aug 2011 11:57am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:86

I don't think I ever visited Longford Park in my youth. The only thing I remember Longford for was the Capitol Skating Rink, where we would hire their skates with wooden square wheels for a bumpy ride around the patched wooden floor. We would be forever taking them back as wheels fell off and ball bearing would scatter across the floor. But it kept us entertained on a Saturday night and there was always the chance that a stumbling young girl would cling on to you for support
Alan

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
7 of 632  Tue 2nd Aug 2011 9:00pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 632  Mon 8th Aug 2011 9:33pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 632  Mon 8th Aug 2011 9:41pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 632  Sun 13th Nov 2011 2:55pm  

I have enjoyed an Autumn walk today along the length of Longford park after returning from Nuneaton. I love the colours, just as though someone has painted every leaf. Cheers Wave Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 632  Sat 19th Nov 2011 11:02am  
Off-topic / chat  

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
12 of 632  Sat 19th Nov 2011 9:44pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
13 of 632  Sun 20th Nov 2011 3:26am  
Off-topic / chat  

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 632  Sun 20th Nov 2011 12:27pm  
Off-topic / chat  

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
15 of 632  Sat 26th Nov 2011 8:16pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2234

Opposite is where the Old Griffin use to stand.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 632 posts

Page 1 of 43

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 ... 39 40 41 42 43
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's Cycle Industry
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Climax
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 140ms)