Next pageNo action
475 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
451 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 11:08am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

All the old photo's are brilliant and I thank you all. I can't really recall Remembrance Day pre-war in the town, I always thought we went to the Memorial Park, so did they have two parades?
Broadgate
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
452 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 11:33am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:288

The 'wood' picture is great! Like a missing link from the usual photos. Interesting that Hiltons with the demolition sale turned into the building not being demolished - did it get a reprieve or was it demolished later or did the bombs get it? The tram control point, or whatever it is, is still there, the Flying Standard building not there. I would have otherwise thought it to be built at the same time as Trinity Street. And I wonder how unchanged Trinity Lane was at that time?
Broadgate
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
453 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 1:03pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:792

Woods was replaced by this building posted by Anne, which would have framed Holy Trinity with two modern Tudor lookalikes.
On 23rd Mar 2017 10:08pm, Annewiggy said:
It can't have been completed long before it was bombed. See page 26 of this topic for more Edited by member, 26th Nov 2017 1:04 pm
Broadgate
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
454 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 1:34pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3865

Hi all Wave I hate being negative on anything, particularly about our city, yet I am. I walked through the centre of Broadgate yesterday afternoon, it was a bright late Autumn day, but the clutter in Broadgate resembling a fairground or circus was "yuk". At that point in time, I saw not one person on any of the rides, so what was the point. Maybe I have been spoilt from the days of how it used to be, with Lady Godiva on her horse in the middle of the green. Sad Still, maybe it's my age.
Broadgate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
455 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 1:56pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

Here you are, Philip Thumbs up
Broadgate
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
456 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 2:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3865

Hi & thank you MR. The Cathedral side has been an improvement I believe, except for the loss of the Gulson Library building as the Central Library. The loss of the green & public transport access is a business disaster. The folk with spending power (higher disposable income) are the very folk who need good & pleasant access with ambiance, whilst out shopping, snacking or dining. After shopping out of town, they now drive to the Fillongleys, Berkswells or Meridens & the like for their ambiance. I tell you one thing. It wasn't the business folk who redesigned Broadgate! It was all part of the Coventry Ltd, council scheme. We can't blame the internet for all of our trading ills. As yet, the internet hasn't mastered the art of a haircut by post, but if the restaurant business is to succeed, it will need to attract these very folk who currently shy away. The "Just Eat" technology is in its infancy just now, but it is snapping at the heels of evening food service. It will only take a dip in the university enterprise activity to mess the current city centre policy up completely. Sad
Broadgate
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
457 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 6:42pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:334

On 26th Nov 2017 11:08am, Kaga simpson said: All the old photo's are brilliant and I thank you all. I can't really recall Remembrance Day pre-war in the town, I always thought we went to the Memorial Park, so did they have two parades?
Hi Kaga, the photo would have been taken on Armistice Day, 11th November, where the traffic and pedestrians stop for two minutes silence at 11am. The policeman in the picture would signal the beginning and end. The Memorial Park service and parade would, as today, be the nearest Sunday to the 11th.
Broadgate
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
458 of 475  Sun 26th Nov 2017 8:58pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1573

The whole 'flow' of the road from Broadgate north to Cross Cheaping seemed to change dramatically when they decided to build the 'original' Owens store/Trinity Street. Obviously the war intervened but it's difficult now to picture that the road from Burges-Cross Cheaping-Broadgate-Hertford Street was once the main north-south route through the city. That's why around 1930 would be my favourite 'Back to the Future' time period to go back to and walk those streets. Edited by member, 27th Nov 2017 6:20 am
Broadgate
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
459 of 475  Mon 27th Nov 2017 9:11am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:832

Neilsyard, I'm sure I've seen an old plan where they would have built something where Ironmonger Square now stands which mean we wouldn't have that weird dog leg and Owen Owen would have fit in better (I think the Burges would have vanished as well). As the new plans did not fit in with the city's existing urban grid, the interface between the two is poorly defined, such as the way the Burges ends with a blank wall, and the plans were only for small areas. Outside of the Precinct and civic centre, there was no real idea of what to do and the ring road effectively rendered much of the area economically unviable (until now - good plots of land to put student flats). Edited by member, 27th Nov 2017 9:13 am
Broadgate
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
460 of 475  Mon 27th Nov 2017 11:33am  

Wearethemods. I really have a job to believe that, not even a bugler, no flag at half mast, no hymn sheets, no uniforms, no old soldiers, no church dignitary - the mind bogles.
Broadgate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
461 of 475  Mon 27th Nov 2017 11:57am  

I've found it on t'internet: "Armistice Day. Inspector Langford and PC 150 Smith are standing in the road to halt the traffic while the two minutes silence takes place in Broadgate, Coventry. 11th November 1929"
Broadgate
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
462 of 475  Mon 27th Nov 2017 1:14pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1047

Kaga, I have found an article in the Telegraph for the same year and there was also a gathering in the Memorial Park at the War Memorial. There were representatives of the British Legion and other businesses there. The mayor gave a moving speech. One of the things they did say was it was not a day for martial display. The religious services were held on the day before, Sunday 10th. Edited by member, 27th Nov 2017 1:21 pm
Broadgate
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
463 of 475  Mon 27th Nov 2017 3:58pm  

Thanks everyone - so they did have two parades, and the army were present despite no martial display. Do they still have two parades? I was very pleased to see (Beerbottle) Bill Speakman, now a Chelsea pensioner, at this year's Cenotaph parade. I used to think Broadgate was a figure of eight, traffic coming from the Burges, and traffic crossing down Trinity Street - there was always a policeman on the crossroads, but not outside Owen Owen.
Broadgate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
464 of 475  Fri 8th Dec 2017 6:36pm  

No.11 Glendower Avenue bus - and a variety of cars - in Broadgate Thumbs up
Broadgate
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
465 of 475  Fri 8th Dec 2017 7:34pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:185

That is the Rover BRM gas turbine racing car in the foreground, the one that raced at the 24 hours Le Mans in 1965. It has a trade plate fitted on the front so that it can be driven on the road, looks like the old white letters on a red background plate.
Broadgate

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 451 to 465 of 475 posts

Page 31 of 32

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .. 28 29 30 31 32
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

UK City of Culture 2021
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry City FC (Sky Blues)
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 84ms)