No actionNo action
66 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
61 of 66  Wed 30th Nov 2016 9:33pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1764

Here's another great shot of the Railwaymen's Cottages in that row as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Public Transport and Travel - Warwick Road Goods Yard & Grosvenor Road Footbridge
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
62 of 66  Thu 12th Jan 2017 9:54pm  

I may have missed this from before so possibly not new to their site but Warwickshire Railways site has this terrific image of the yard, and a close up.
Public Transport and Travel - Warwick Road Goods Yard & Grosvenor Road Footbridge
Slim
63 of 66  Fri 13th Jan 2017 11:57am  
Off-topic / chat  

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
64 of 66  Fri 13th Jan 2017 12:52pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:884

You are right, Slim. They were derelict and awaiting demolition in about 1970. At one point some of us used to go round there at lunchtimes. One day a group of us actually managed to demolish a whole outhouse, comprising two coalhouses and two outside WCs, in a lunchtime. We did attract the attention of one of the younger teachers who remarked that it was not only keeping us out of mischief but was saving money on demolition costs too! Lol One lad had a real downer on 'Fred' Perry, the librarian, and over a couple of weeks removed a few dozen books which he stored in a box in one of the cottages. Eventually Fred realised and all hell broke loose as usual. I think the books were eventually returned though. The cottages were often used for various pranks as I recall as they were so easily accessible behind the then new 6th Form Centre.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
65 of 66  Thu 8th Jun 2017 10:57pm  

Not sure if I've missed this one before but returning to the excellent Warwickshire Railways site I found this brilliant image of the yard circa 1961. You can just see the roof of The Rocket and Warwick Road and that passageway under the roadbridge which is nowadays so slim.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
66 of 66  Tue 19th Jun 2018 12:56pm  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 66 of 66 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Travel 100+ years ago
|

Next (newer) topic

Very Light Rail
You are viewing topics in the Public Transport and Travel category