Next pageNo action
18 posts:
Order:    

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
1 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 3:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

In which part of Coventry do you think these 19th Century style watchmakers cottages are located. You won't guess, it's something you either know or you dont know. I promise you though it is in Coventry, I haven't cheated in that respect. Lol
Photo poser 5
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 4:09am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1720

I was going to say it looks like the development that went up on the old City ground but it looks too green at the end of the road Dutchy. They might be trying to look more 19th century but why are all new developments so similar and boring looking.
Photo poser 5
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 8:24am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3003

Is it anywhere near the canal basin Dutchman? Just a stab in the dark! Roll eyes I daresay by the time I come on here again someone will have the right answer, and knowing you you are out to fox us all. Wink
Photo poser 5
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
4 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 1:37pm  

Afraid not Dreamtime Smile
Photo poser 5
Suitably Chastised
Where the Teacher can see me
All posts by this member
5 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 2:44pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:126

Coundon Road rugby ground site?
Photo poser 5
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 2:47pm  

Nowhere near, but rugby was once played in the fields you can just see in the distance Smile
Photo poser 5
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 3:28pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:258

Ah Dutchman I think I know this one. Is it the bottom of Beanfield Avenue, backing onto Ullathorne School playing fields? If not it looks remarkably like the houses they built there a few years ago! Thumbs up
Photo poser 5
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
8 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 3:44pm  

Spot on Mayjan! I didn't think anyone would ever get it. Even Tricia would have difficulty recognising the area today and she had to walk down Beanfield Avenue every morning on her way to school!
Photo poser 5
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 4:04pm  

Dutchman as I live in Beanfield and pass these houses most days on the bus I should be able to spot them lol. Thumbs up The School of Performing Arts was there before they demolished it and built the houses. I have always thought they looked out of place and I understand they are very small rooms inside. Yes Tricia wouldn't recognise it now. I think when she attended Bishop Ullathorne the 6th form block was situated on that site. Cheers
Photo poser 5
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
10 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 4:17pm  

On 28th Jan 2013 4:04pm, mayjan said: I think when she attended Bishop Ullathorne the 6th form block was situated on that site. Cheers
There was no 6th form block back then Mayjan. It was the site of the grammar school which was separate from the two secondary modern schools. There was no bus service in those days either. Pupils from all three schools had to disembark at the garage on the other side of Kenpas Highway and walk all the way down Beanfield Avenue which wasn't so bad, but in the afternoons we had to walk all the way up Wainbody Avenue which was exhausting and then queue for what seemed like an eternity for a bus. Only pupils living in Whoberley had a special bus provided. This was colloquially referred to as "The Fletch" as the official destination was "Fletchamstead Highway".
Photo poser 5
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 4:42pm  

I stand corrected then Dutchman, of course thinking about it there woudn't have been a 6th form block then. Thumbs up Didn't know it was the site of the grammar school though When I first moved into Beanfield, it had just been taken over by Coventry Performing Arts, I worked there for a while.
Photo poser 5
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
12 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 6:27pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:539

On 28th Jan 2013 3:44pm, dutchman said: Even Tricia would have difficulty recognising the area today and she had to walk down Beanfield Avenue every morning on her way to school!
Hi Dutchman, Wave no I certainly wouldn't recognise the area today. I used to walk down Wainbody Ave to school and walk up Beanfield after school, this way I managed to get on the bus before the mad rush/crush at the top of Wainbody. It was great to see the photo. Thumbs up
Photo poser 5
dutchman
13 of 18  Mon 28th Jan 2013 9:29pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
14 of 18  Tue 29th Jan 2013 1:03am  
Off-topic / chat  

Tricia
15 of 18  Tue 29th Jan 2013 7:14pm  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Bed & Mattress Maker
|

Next (newer) topic

Court Houses
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 30th April 2018  (Load time: 273ms)