No actionNo action
219 posts:
Order:    

steelbreeze
Rugby
All posts by this member
211 of 219  Fri 30th Jun 2017 11:21am  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:10

I will be in Coventry tomorrow for a Bablake 80s reunion (1980s, I'm not yet in my eighties) so I will swing by the Herbert whilst I'm in town and see if they have anything. Thanks for the PDF, looks like a fascinating read.
Inner Ring Road
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
212 of 219  Sat 1st Jul 2017 9:55am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1518

I think we've touched on this before but wasn't the original plan for the RR to route south of the station - but was quickly amended when they realised several Councillor's houses would have to be bulldozed! Oh my
Inner Ring Road
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
213 of 219  Sat 1st Jul 2017 12:17pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:906

Oh, why does that not surprise me! Wink And here was me thinking it might be because of all the logistical difficulties bridging over the railway! Lol
Inner Ring Road
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
214 of 219  Sat 1st Jul 2017 10:35pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:826

That story of the ring road being canned because of the councillors is probably an urban myth (designed to make the council look bad) and that website is factually incorrect about the 'modelling' that was done. The current kink was modelled to see it was safe by using Fortran programs. Quite an innovation at the time. The ring road's route was given permission in the late 1940s, but not started for some years and the route was pretty much the route planned in the 1940s. The main change was that it went from a surface level road to grade separated (around 1960), despite warnings about the problems it would cause for the city. As it was originally a surface level road, the fact the station was outside was not an issue, it was only the grade separation and complex junctions that made it physically separated and accessed by tunnels and bridges. A quick glance at a map would show how a road that encircles the station would have had to cross the railway twice (perhaps the junctions) and would have had to be run through housing and factories. Instead, it followed the route of an existing road. Edited by member, 1st Jul 2017 10:37 pm
Inner Ring Road
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
215 of 219  Sun 2nd Jul 2017 11:41am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1518

Interesting Flap, thanks for the info Thumbs up I've never been a fan of what the RR did as far as the clearance of land to build, however it does work well. I actually had to look up what grade separation was Happy It would have looked nicer as surface level but suppose it would have not been as effective as well.
Inner Ring Road
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
216 of 219  Sun 2nd Jul 2017 12:20pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:826

I believe this site has a copy of the original layout from around 1945. Not only would it have looked nicer, it would not have contributed to the city centre's decline. I've seen it written a few times that other towns and cities used Coventry's mistakes to avoid making their own! Lol Edited by member, 2nd Jul 2017 12:22 pm
Inner Ring Road
steelbreeze
Rugby
All posts by this member
217 of 219  Tue 4th Jul 2017 10:41am  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:10

Was there a link in there? I don't see it! Drew a blank on Saturday, the records bit was closed and I won't be able to get into Coventry again (when it's open) until the 22nd. Having lived in Wolverhampton, I can tell you that where the ringroad is level, it regularly gridlocks in rush hour. Coventry RR, though ugly, does work! Which is more than I can say for Malfunction Junction this morning, where the temporary lights have packed up. Oh joy! Think I'll take the M6 tomorrow, at least I won't have to cross a dangerous junction on red. Angry
Inner Ring Road
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
218 of 219  Fri 7th Jul 2017 4:18pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:390

Malfunction Junction is a pain at the mo, and I don't think these changes will improve it at all. Still think Broad Lane was better before they reinstated the stupid island. With the ring road, the trunk roads (which IMO should be classified as part of the ring road system because you can't use the RR without them) back up for MILES at rush hour and move pretty slowly. Western side you see traffic spilling off the slip roads back onto the carriageways making the ballet of getting on/off even more complicated than normal). So for all the few minutes you make up there you lose elsewhere unless your start and destination are very close to the ring road itself. When you take into account all the problems it creates for the city centre in terms of lost foot traffic and just avoidance of the area in general by potential visitors (not to mention the look of it!) an at-grade RR with upgraded/expanded trunk roads would be a much better solution. Also separate roads for getting onto the RR and entering the city centre rather than them all doing both. Also Coventry is a very decentralised city - much of the stuff is in business/retail parks on the outskirts. The city centre is much more like a small town centre and if it was used as much as a city the size of Coventry should be, the RR wouldn't cope.
Inner Ring Road
JCoker
Australia
All posts by this member
219 of 219  Mon 10th Jul 2017 1:44pm  
Member: Joined May 2015  Total posts:3

My Dad, Patrick Coker, worked for Gallifords and was site manager for 5 out of the six stages. He wanted to complete stage 6, but had to move into the Wolvey office. When he left the site they gave him a road sign 'Patricks Rd'. The RR was an impressive engineering project for it's time, and it gave 'Gallys' a high profile. That was the zeitgeist, modern, cars and development. Certainly Dad thought new was good, old was bad. Dad was from Holbrooks and was always very proud of his part in the construction of the RR. Everytime we would go from Hinckley to watch the City, he would always manage to use the RR, tell us (the same) stories of it's construction. While the RR did destroy part of the city, the idea was sound. It was a shame the old city was not rebuilt, and pedestrianised. Imagine that Old Cov, bypassed by cars with parking where you could take a tram into the center. The Blitz was only part of the destruction, the Town Planners were much worse. If I had a few million..... I don't think the decline of city center shopping is totally the fault of the RR, it was booming in the 70's. At the Sky Blues we used to bump into alot of the blokes who worked with Dad, one (Seamus ?McCafferty?) always used to slip me & my bro' a fiver - big money in those days ! He's probably dead by now, but I always wanted to buy him a beer. There was ALOT of money in Cov in those days.
Inner Ring Road

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 211 to 219 of 219 posts

Page 15 of 15

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14 15
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Carnivals / Godiva Processions
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)
View similar topics in the Town Planning and Development category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 53ms)