No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Sat 9th Feb 2013 1:18pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:856

Anyone remember this? Stirling Moss in Corporation Street (cannot remember the year)
Milly rules

Stirling Moss in Coventry
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Sat 9th Feb 2013 1:36pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:356

Hi Norm, I remember the event portrayed in your excellent photo. It was a motor-racing/transport celebration. If I recall it was on a Sunday afternoon. I stood around the Greyfriars Green area to watch the procession. The only other driver that I can say with certainty was there was Derek Bell the Le Mans winner. Again regarding the year, it was between 1987 and 1991. I'm sure a fellow forum poster will be able to submit a more accurate date! Thoroughly enjoyed the day, there were some fantastic vehicles on parade. Thumbs up
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Sat 9th Feb 2013 1:46pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:856

Thanks for that Beesman. I think the car he is driving is a Lotus. I watched it from start to finish, and as you said I enjoyed the day also Thumbs up
Milly rules

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Sun 10th Feb 2013 8:53pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2692

I've got tons of photos of that event. It was to mark the World Motoring Centenary in 1985. In fact there were several different day events - one dedicated to Ferrari, one Porsche etc. They created a 'circuit' of sorts that went from Broadgate - down Trinity Street - along Hales Street - Corporation Street - Warwick Road - New Union Street - Little Park Street - High Street and back into Broadgate. The day Moss was there also included Derek Bell, John Surtees, Roy Salvadori, Russell Brookes and Tony Brooks. I have to declare I'm not a Moss fan. He was the only one of that day who refused to sign autographs for the ones I saw. Must dig the photos out as there's some lovely shots of the 'green' Broadgate. The startline strips they created were visible along Broadgate for several years after. That shot is on Corporation Street just after the Belgrade on the theatre side - I was a bit further down that day outside the Co-op. That car is a Cooper-Climax circa 1959. Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Photo poser 5
|

Next (newer) topic

Family photo - recognise anyone?
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category