Next pageLast page
60 posts:
Order:    

sally watson
coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 60  Tue 12th Feb 2013 1:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:46

With Valentines Day looming I found myself remembering romantic memories of my past, 1st date was going to the Windmill pub in Spon St, a packet of crisps, a shandy, and a very handsome young man as my date. I felt like the bees knees, mum would not have approved (only 15yrs old) how naughty but nice! comes to mind. LOL.
First romantic date, where did you go?
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 60  Tue 12th Feb 2013 2:10pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3580

Hi Sally, I must admit there is such a thing as love at first sight and it was for me. Met my hubby at the GEC ballroom 56 years ago on the Saturday but it was not until the Monday on my way home from work he got off his bike along Burnaby Road and walked me home up Beake Ave. That was it, my life was mapped out already for me and I would relive it all over again if I could. Wave
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 60  Tue 12th Feb 2013 2:19pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:290

1950, just taken delivery of my first brand spanking new Ariel VH 500cc motorcycle.That bike was the love of my life. That was until I met Andrea. Sadly she and her parents were booked to go and start a new life in Australia, that was when travel to Oz cost £10 a head. Her last evening in England we had a meal in King Wa, Warwick Row, later I took her home on the Ariel and said our goodbyes. I intended to follow but conscription into the RM stopped that. Saw action in Korea and Kenya, all that time kept in touch with Andrea by letter. On returning to Blighty I left the army and continued with my plans to go to Oz. Couple of things scuppered my plans, first getting an excellent job in Courtaulds and secondly meeting Sue who was to become my wife. Sue and I have been to Australia to see Andrea and everything was fine. Five years ago the emails from Andrea stopped, I have no idea why and am unable to find out why. Les
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 60  Tue 12th Feb 2013 4:27pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:715

At the tender age of 14, I fell in love with a girl called Pamela (I fell in love with every girl, no matter what the name, from a very early age?). As a first date we went for a walk around the Morris Common, as you do so everyone can see you (kept the parents happy). We got on well together and started to play fight, me being very manly picked her up and threw her over my shoulders, her, being very female, pulled her dress back down, the rugby players and all the spectators (who I forgot to mention) shouted "LOVE THE PINK KNICKERS", me, burst out laughing, she, now bright red and walking very quickly to the exit. I was severely told off but still saw Pamela for a long while after, we both enjoyed fun. Memories are lovely things. Wave
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 60  Tue 12th Feb 2013 4:47pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:257

What a lovely idea for a topic Sally. My very first date with my late husband Gary, was actually just outside Coventry, but I arranged to meet him in Broadgate. Gary and his best friend Bob and his girlfriend, picked me up at the no 9 bus stop and off we went to the Fleur de Lys pub in Lowsonford. They did lovely crusty cheese batches and crunchy pickled onions which we partook of, delicious but not very romantic for a first date. My second date with him was a trip to the cinema to see A Taste of Honey, which was a bit more romantic as we were on our own this time. That was the beginning of a relationship and then marriage that lasted nearly 42 years until his death in 2006. Very happy memories. Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 60  Tue 12th Feb 2013 9:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4393

Hi all Wave I cannot claim to have ever been romantic. It's not that I did not like girls, so much as I was always frightened of them. My first real date was with Pam, which was on a Saturday evening in August 1965. A fine weather day. We dined at the Alpha restaurant in Jordan Well. After which, we walked through the length of Greyfriars Green. That was it. Wave A couple of months later, Pam & I were pictured attending a wedding at Bedworth Parish. She quickly learned the drudge of having an organist for a boyfriend. This may be the first picture of us together.
Dreamtime
7 of 60  Wed 13th Feb 2013 1:10am  
Off-topic / chat  

gangan
Stockton, Southam
All posts by this member
8 of 60  Wed 13th Feb 2013 11:14am  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:125

Great subject. My first real grown up date was to The Captain's Table in Hillfields (can't remember her name) but I do know it cost me an arm and a leg! Just on the romantic theme, my beautiful lady and I are celebrating 25 years together today. She was told last Monday that she has cancer, but we are determined to fight it and go for another 25 years (which will take us both into our 90's)
Tricia
9 of 60  Wed 13th Feb 2013 2:20pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 60  Wed 13th Feb 2013 2:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5668

And so say all of us - best wishes, pal Wave
happyhippie
Devon
All posts by this member
11 of 60  Wed 13th Feb 2013 11:39pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:30

I too went to the Captains Table for my first grown up meal out, his name was Peter, I thought I was the bees knees. I had never been to a restaurant before so I was very nervous, but it all went well and I used all the right cutlery hahaha. The boyfriend lasted for about a year, but the memory lingers on. Sorry to hear the worrying news about your wife gangan, but for what it's worth, I had breast cancer 12 years ago, and I'm still here to enjoy this group Thumbs up
sally watson
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 60  Thu 14th Feb 2013 2:30am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:46

Such happy, funny and inspiring memories to share with other readers, and to gangan and your wife all the very best wishes for your future, Sally.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
13 of 60  Thu 14th Feb 2013 4:10am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3580

Here's to another 25 years to you both Gangan, and all you brave ladies out there I wish you all the very best in life always. Wave Happy Valentines Day everyone. Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 60  Thu 14th Feb 2013 12:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4393

Hi all, I have just returned home from having our motor 'valentined' at the car cleaners who operate from the old Craftmans garage, Dreamtime. Inside, engine, the lot. Memories for you, Dreamtime? Topped the diesel up too, for the first time since November. I must cut this high gallivanting down, burning all of this fuel. £32 in three months. I ask you!!! I love you all! Wave Valentines Day snuggle
gangan
Stockton, Southam
All posts by this member
15 of 60  Thu 14th Feb 2013 12:50pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:125

Wow. Thank you all for your messages of support. It really does mean a great deal to us. What a great crowd you are

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 60 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Our Children's Education
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Sports Centre / The Elephant