Next pageLast page
75 posts:
Order:    

Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 10:14pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:341

If this kind of subject has been covered before, then I'm sorry. I have some photo's of places around the area, but can you guess where. Wink I've edited a name from this as it's a bit of a give-away.
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

Where is this (non-Cov)?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 10:39pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3837

Is that the Stratford canal close to the B'ham area? Wave
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 10:46pm  

Sorry PhilipInCoventry. A hint is in the picture on the right.

Where is this (non-Cov)?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 10:47pm  

The Hatton flight. Near to Warwick Parkway station?
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 10:55pm  

Spot on Sir. Thumbs up It is the lower lock sign, and Warwick 1 mile has been edited out. Here is a picture of the bottom lock-keepers cottage on the other side.

Where is this (non-Cov)?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 10:58pm  

Hang on line whilst I post a pic. I was Rear Admiral Philipuddle, on a cruise to loot gold. I tied up a few yards up so that we could launch torpedoes on the enemy. Cheers Notice my very clean wellies!
Where is this (non-Cov)?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
7 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 11:12pm  

There are other pics of my inland waterways adventures on the Canals around Coventry thread.
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 11:22pm  

As we are on about canals. I watched a programme once called "Waterworld". And found out that Rhyl in North Wales had its own underground canal system that looked like Venice. It was part of a very large hotel complex that only lasted a few years before being burnt down in a fire. They said that one of the boats was still down there, but it all was sealed up after the fire. Very interesting. And thanks Philip, I will have a look.

Where is this (non-Cov)?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 75  Fri 8th Mar 2013 11:25pm  

Hi again. Rear Admiral Philipuddle
Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
10 of 75  Sat 6th Apr 2013 5:48pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:130

I have been asked to identify a location. The 3 attached pictures are of the same place on the same day. 1. In Pic1, just visible but quite distinct on the left, is a Daimler CVD6 single decker. These were all delivered in 1949, so the date cannot of been before 1949. 2. Everyone is dressed quite formally. One of the ladies is wearing a twin set and the other two are wearing a dress and coat and a dress and suit jacket. All of the men are wearing suits; three are wearing three piece suits and ties and the other a two piece suit with a button hole. It looks like a formal occasion, possibly a wedding. 3. The car behind them in all three pictures is a large limousine, possibly a pre-war Rolls Royce. 4. In Pic3, there is a pre-war car, probably a Humber and a Velocette motorcycle with a fish-tail exhaust, probably post war. 5. The ground slopes quite distinctly down from left to right and up away from the camera. 6. The building with the writing on the roof appears to be either a hotel or adjoining one, with a coaching entrance just behind the car. 7. In the street in front of the hotel, there are several mature trees, possibly plane trees of the type found in central Coventry in the immediately post-war years. 8. The building at the far end of the yard is a nineteenth century building of the type found in the area of The Quadrant and Union Street. 9. The location is certainly not in the vicinity of Harnall Lane. It looks familiar, but I can't place it. It appears that vehicles circulated through the yard to turn round. The Daimler single decker should give a clue, because they were used principally on the Berkswell route and less often on the Earlsdon route. Pic1 Pic1 Pic2 Pic2 Pic3 Pic3 With kind regards Laurence
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 75  Sat 6th Apr 2013 6:26pm  

Hi Laurence, Wave Thank you so much for your reply. Hope that you are well. Wave
Where is this (non-Cov)?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
12 of 75  Sat 6th Apr 2013 6:47pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4417

Hello Laurence The wording on the roof looks like "S J Grove" and a look around brings up Avon Bridge Tea Rooms (S J Grove) in Evesham Avon House in Evesham looks quite like the large building Maybe wrong but perhaps worth a look Oh my
Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
13 of 75  Sat 6th Apr 2013 8:05pm  

So, the CVD6 single decker could have been hired for an outing. They were furnished rather like coaches to take advantage of Coventry Corporation's license to operate private hire.
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
14 of 75  Sat 6th Apr 2013 8:22pm  

I've had a look at Evesham. I worked in Evesham for several years and it does not seem right. I have a recollection of this location in Coventry, but can't remember where. It looks like a bomb site after the war and the building at the far end of the yard is part of a row of buildings. Also, the trees appear to be formal street trees. From the shadows, we are looking West(ish), possibly from the rear of premises in Union Street, but who knows?
Regards Innis Road

Where is this (non-Cov)?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
15 of 75  Sun 7th Apr 2013 3:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1023

I think Midland Red might be right. This is a picture off Google maps of 32 Bridge Street Evesham. I am pretty sure it is the building in the background. Google doesn't let you go round the back! There is a tea room behind this, although it looks completely different it looks to be on the same alignment.
Where is this (non-Cov)?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 75 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

It's a Saturday evening
|

Next (newer) topic

Ian Dickson
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 178ms)