No actionNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

mich
New Zealand
All posts by this member
16 of 20  Fri 14th Nov 2014 10:28pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:33

I was sent to this school roughly 1946 as I had been diagnosed as having a 'weak chest' can't remember that much about it so couldn't have been too bad, I can't remember having any schooling whilst there?
Corley Open Air School
susanstiff
Surrey
All posts by this member
17 of 20  Thu 18th Dec 2014 11:13pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:1

I, too remember COAS. I was there for 10 months in 1947. I had had pneumonia and a collapsed lung. I seem to remember being not unhappy. The staff were quite kind. I also remember Miss Caborn as head and a Mrs Caldecot who mended clothes. I remember the open sided dormitory in the winter when the caretaker boarded up the open side when it snowed. A teacher slept in an enclosed room in the very centre of the room. We were at the school ALL the time - no going home ever until your time was up, weekends, Christmas, all the time! When it was your birthday, you were allowed to name (I think) 7 friends to have a birthday tea with you and your parents came to bring the tea. At Christmas we had a carol concert and I read the lesson that year in the presence of alderman Stringer. I remember telling my parents that I read the less to old man stringer!! We all had numbers by which we were known. My number was 37. Smile
susan stiff

Corley Open Air School
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
18 of 20  Fri 16th Sep 2016 8:13pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:48

Was anyone a resident at Corley open air school in 1945

Question

Corley Open Air School
covgirl
wiltshire
All posts by this member
19 of 20  Sat 17th Sep 2016 8:53pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:51

Hi, My mother was a patient there in the 30's due to having had rheumatic fever and being very small and feeble as she called it, she told me of the open veranda, walks around the area, picking flowers in the meadow and having to eat a lot of food to build her up, it certainly worked as she lived to be 86, survived stomach cancer, 3 children and my father! A very strong lady, I took her back to Corley a year before she died, she remembered Corley rocks they used to climb, but we could not find where the school had been, If it had not been for for Corley, she would almost certainly have died as a child.
Corley Open Air School
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
20 of 20  Sat 17th Sep 2016 11:23pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:482

On 31st Jul 2014 12:33am, morgana said: Scroll down a little on this link there is a picture of the school from the Coventry telegraph. LINK Edited by member, 31st Jul 2014 12:35 am
Hi Morgana, Curiosity is said to be a dangerous thing and I read through this thread and heard of people playing on Corley Rocks - I knew them well - going there on my bike quite often, but I hadn`t heard or seen the school. However curiosity opened the link and I scrolled down and saw the picture of the school and read the story at the side. It mentioned Centaur Road school as having a similar section for the purpose of sick children. Centaur Road was my first junior school, I don`t know if I was there for any particular reason, because for the life of me I cannot remember the place, but I did have an operation in Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital about that time for "swollen glands" - I was never told the reason or the outcome or where and the period of nursing - still got the scar on my neck.
Corley Open Air School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Cannon Park, Canley
|

Next (newer) topic

Three Tuns Garage, White Street
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 101ms)