Topic categories:

Mysterious disappearance of a van engine!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action
9 posts:
Order:    

GVB

All posts by this member
1 of 9  Sat 23rd Mar 2013 8:27pm  
Total posts:109

Many years ago I was working as a mechanic at Whitley Depot. As part of our remit we were responsible for the maintenance of the School meal delivery vehicles. Early one morning one of the drivers came into to see me and asked for some help in starting his vehicle. I turned the ignition key and no lights showed on the dashboard so I picked up the jump leads and asked another van driver to park his van close by so I could use his battery. However, when we opened the bonnet we got a shock. It was like something out of Candid Camera, the engine was gone! Much scratching of heads went on then one of our guys noticed a strange van in the car park. We looked through the back windows and could see a blanket covering something large and engine shaped. By then we had worked out that the van had been driven in to the car park during the previous day (no gate man in those days), the driver had walked out of the yard then returned at night (with accomplices?). Engine had been removed, (very easy job in a Transit although a heavy engine) placed in back of their van and covered. They were then going to return during the day and drive the van out. We contacted Police straight away and they arranged for staff to close the main gates leading to the London Road when they said so and we settled down to wait for the driver. Sure enough, he arrived not long after, jumped into the van and set off out of the yard. The copper gave the signal, gates were closed and the driver was stopped, arrested and carted away very soon after. Good conversation topic for some while after.
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 9  Sat 23rd Mar 2013 10:42pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:175

Brilliant story GVB! Smile
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 9  Sun 24th Mar 2013 1:47am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2853

Morning GVB, Sounds like an episode from "Heartbeat" . Good story that. Thumbs up
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
4 of 9  Sun 24th Mar 2013 7:04am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:846

This reminds me of the time I lived in Tile Hill in the 60s. I got up one morning to go to work, went to my car and discovered some low life had stolen the wood rimmed steering wheel off my Vitesse. After a bit of thought I snapped a pair of mole grips on the spline and managed to drive to work that way. It was strange driving without the wheel in front of me, but I got there OK.... Thumbs up
Milly rules

mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
5 of 9  Sun 24th Mar 2013 9:05am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:601

I know this is not Cov related but this will fit in well here, although my little Standard 8 was built here. I courted my wife down in Gt Yarmouth for 3 mths, I used to drive down every Friday night after work and come back late Sunday night. The wife worked in the Queens Hotel and I used to park my car round the back. On this one occasion there were no parking spots except for a chained off entrance to a small hotel. They had two entrances and I knew this one was never used so I parked in front of it. I popped round the corner and talked to my girlfriend for an hour while she was working and then went back to collect my car. The brain cannot take it in at first, my car was not there? I walked up the street and then down the street but no car. Then I noticed a man watching me with a smile on his face, so I walked over to him and asked him if he had seen a grey Standard 8? "Yes" he replied, "The police towed it away half an hour ago". After a long walk to the police station I enquired at the desk if they had my car. The Sergeant on the desk replied ' We do have a car of that description but you will have to prove it is yours" At this point I had better say that while courting the wife we used to go scrumping at night time. We would drive out into the country and sit in a field at one-o-clock in the morning picking and eating the strawberries. Nice they were too. Explaining everything about the car as well as having the key he then agreed it was my car and with a lot of form filling he walked me to the compound but still made me point the car out to him. Before we got to the car he then said "I see you like your Strawberries then". Said with a big silly grin on his face. I had not got a clue what he was on about until I opened the car door. The floor was covered in strawberries, they were squashed in the carpets, there were whole ones, squashed ones half eaten ones, was my face red. He took one look at my face and burst out laughing, he was an ok policeman, he knew what we were doing. The people in the hotel had phoned the police to say I was blocking their entrance, although I knew they never used it, so the police had towed it away. Later on in the year I had my revenge on that hotel, even though they were watching me snogging my wife or they thought I was, i was very busy with my hands unscrewing all of their no parking signs and putting them up my wife's coat, they never did replace them. Wave Wink Thought I might add, this was 1966 and they were very posh signs. They went into the wife's trophy room. Big grin
Midland Red

All posts by this member
6 of 9  Sun 24th Mar 2013 9:19am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4136

Never heard it called scrumping before! Big grin Big grin Big grin
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
7 of 9  Sun 24th Mar 2013 9:36am  
Off-topic / chat  

GVB

All posts by this member
8 of 9  Mon 25th Mar 2013 10:33am  
Total posts:109

The saying "revenge is sweet" certainly rings true here Thumbs up .
berjay
Bewdley Worcs.
All posts by this member
9 of 9  Wed 19th Jun 2013 6:06pm  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:23

On 24th Mar 2013 9:19am, Midland Red said: Never heard it called scrumping before! Big grin Big grin Big grin
I've always known it as scrumping, In fact I got a smack round the side of the face from Ginger Smith (our local bobby), he always used to bring the end of his leather gloves to a flat edge when about to "punish" you for an infringment!!! And I can tell you IT HURT. Didn't stop me though, just watched more carefully.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Pinley Smallpox Hospital
|

Next (newer) topic

Photo poser 1
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 228ms)