Next pageLast page
38 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 38  Sun 24th Mar 2013 7:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4110

Hello all Wave What we enjoy as part of our hobbies has often come out in our posts as most of mine have. Please feel free to share what you enjoy doing & or what introduced you to your hobby or hobbies. It was one person's hobby that brought this Historic Coventry Forum to life. So, do you play a musical instrument, or take part in amateur drama? Does your hobby extend to a local charity, like stitching or sewing? I once knew a man that made wooden wheelbarrows to be given away by charities in raffles & so on. What you say here might just kick some else off with ideas. Please enjoy. Wave
Sport, Music and Leisure - What are our hobbies?
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
2 of 38  Sun 24th Mar 2013 11:10pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2216

Mine are painting when I'm up to it, which is not very often now, flower arranging, drawing, making cards, parchment cards, sewing, knitting, crochet, gardening, landscaping, diy of all sorts, renovating old furniture I used to enjoy a lot, tinkering on the organ occasionally which I recently bought for £10.00 from Salvation Army, but can't read music, mainly to encourage my granddaughter who I see the most, I mainly buy from charity shops, crochet some head bands for a charity shop, gave them to a lad, the manager next time I went in said she is not allowed to sell new goods and they haven't got a fire label on, which I find stupid as Primark was selling them without a fire label but I wasn't given them back, so never again sorry. Sad
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 38  Wed 23rd Oct 2013 8:59pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:340

Hobbies. I have so many that I wonder when I actually have time to go to work. Apart from learning about our local past, and of English history. I also like trying my hand at computer programming. Visual C# and XNA gaming platform (it's where you write games out in computer lingo).There is also building computers. Then there is transport history. Trains and ships. Lost railways and shipwrecks. I do like gardening but only when the sun is out. And music from the 60's and 70's. That's when they made real music. And believe it or not, COOKING, especially the Sunday beef roast. Gravy made from the meat juice and fine chopped onions, helped with 2 Oxo, gravy granules and Worcestershire Sauce, splashed over the meat before cooking. Add half a pint of water to the meat before as well to get a really nice gravy. Mmmmm. Thumbs up Once cooked and left to stand for 5 mins, cut and then put back in the juice and cook for another 10-15 mins. This will stop the middle of the joint from being dry. Sorry, going off on one again... Blush All that, and there's more. Banger racing over Brandon, motorbikes, mainly 70's custom bikes. D.I.Y but only when I have to, and mixing music on the computer. Edited by member, 23rd Oct 2013 9:38 pm
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

morgana
4 of 38  Thu 24th Oct 2013 9:40pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Baz
5 of 38  Thu 24th Oct 2013 9:45pm  
Off-topic / chat  

morgana
6 of 38  Thu 24th Oct 2013 10:07pm  
Off-topic / chat  

heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
7 of 38  Sun 3rd Nov 2013 12:35pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

As you may have gathered my hobbies are now mainly heritage and tourism. Its certainly been a busy autumn with working on new websites, many of us forget at times that we are retired. I launched two new north Warwickshire websites yesterday (replacements of old sites) Bedworth Society and Visit Northern Warwickshire if they are of any interest to you. The NWT site still needs a little more work in the near future. We also launched our new Bedworth almshouses/schools site in September. These all overlap in certain ways but we felt it was important for them to tell their own stories.
Ace
Nuneaton
All posts by this member
8 of 38  Tue 12th Nov 2013 8:42pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:72

I collect guitars, not the cheap Chinese imports that retail for £49.99, but PROPER ones. I have 24 in total, insured for a lot of money. I love them all. I also have tried another go at photography - it's damned difficult remembering apertures and f numbers! Still, I'm carrying on with it, just spent £800 on a Canon 24-70 lens, so I'd best stick at it!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 38  Wed 13th Nov 2013 8:23pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5118

Another major hobby of mine is genealogy (family history), as mentioned on other threads I recently found an extremely distant-by-marriage relation to John Kemp Starley II - but it is always interesting (amusing, should I say) when a famous name crops up in your family tree (who isn't the famous person) Lol I have a Dorothy Perkins, a Charlotte Church and a Kenneth Dodd - famous in their own right but not to the wider world! Oh my I also have a Minnie Cooper! Big grin
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 38  Fri 15th Nov 2013 11:04am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:497

I think like many people I have too many hobbies and not enough time. In my early teens I inherited a large collection of “Hobbies Weeklies" (anybody remember them?) from my elder brothers and learnt how to make everything from fireworks to music boxes. Other interests at the time were model railways, building slot cars, building and flying control line aircraft, reading, fishing and many others. I also played cricket and football and finally had to stop playing cricket a few years ago after a shoulder injury. I built many electronic projects, the biggest one being an electronic piano. Music has always been a major interest particularly of the late 60’s-early 70’s (the prog era). I also dabbled with playing the guitar – though not very well. Many of the earlier skills were also useful when the kids came along. Nowadays as I have more time my main interests are reading, music, history and anything to do with making things. I also collect jigsaw puzzles of old maps. I’ve even de-mothballed the guitars. Inspired by a friend when I retire I hope to build an insulated shed to house a model railway but because of size constraints it will be n gauge based on a plan that I built when the kids were little. Unfortunately instead of getting less interests as I get older I get more!! But at least it’s not boring Big grin Edited by member, 16th Nov 2013 1:08 pm
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 38  Wed 7th Jan 2015 2:52pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4110

Hi all, This room originally housed my dad, until 1977, then my son took it over as his music room. At one time you could not move in it for synths & recording stuff. In 2000, plans were unveiled for it to be our railway room. So now, my music equipment shares one side of the room with our railway on the other side. The two synths in the picture are both accessed or played from the organ console & pedals.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
12 of 38  Wed 7th Jan 2015 7:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1067

I have got quite a reputation since moving into sheltered accommodation. Booze and women! Perhaps the first was because I sank half a bottle of whisky with my Christmas lunch - anything to leave a good taste in my mouth Wink The women part I'm not so sure about. The greater part of this establishment is female - I'm one of only 11 male residents. So, most of my conversations are with women. Does that really make me a womaniser? Seriously though, I'm usually happy sitting at my computer or taking photographs.
Dreamtime
13 of 38  Thu 8th Jan 2015 12:07am  
Off-topic / chat  

Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
14 of 38  Thu 8th Jan 2015 12:55pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

As I had inherited a Leica III at the age of 12 I took an interest in photography. To me in those days developing and printing were just as interesting as the taking of photographs. Does anyone remember the Johnsons spiral developing tank where the film would stick when half way in the tank? I lived opposite Bell Green community centre where they had a thriving photography club so tanks and enlarger were available. I still have a 35mm camera that is never used. Other than that just fishing and motorcycles. At my previous home was a wood turning lathe that the previous occupier had left in the garage. I took an interest in that, turning out dozens of chair legs, banister spindles, and all sorts of rubbish that never got used. Kept me out of mischief I suppose. Norman
Just old and knackered

Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
15 of 38  Tue 13th Jan 2015 5:38pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:222

Pixrobin, I keep coming back to your recently acquired reputation for booze and women. In the absence of being able to sing I can't think of any better hobbies than wine and women except that my wife says I can only have the first one in moderation, and not the second one at all. If you are one of only eleven male residents then you will always be in the First Eleven. Regards. Roger

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts

Page 1 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Darcy Ward
|

Next (newer) topic

Bands playing in Coventry before they were famous
You are viewing topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category