No actionNo action
48 posts:
Order:    

Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
46 of 48  Sun 18th Jun 2017 3:47pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:259

I feel just like Rob in wanting to walk the streets of Old Coventry and whereas I could do it only in imagination what you are doing Helen is just fantastic. What a difficult but inspiring project this is! Congratulations!
Modelling the city
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
47 of 48  Mon 19th Jun 2017 11:05pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:764

Thanks for all the kind words. This really is a community effort because without you all it wouldn't be possible. Prof, I'm new to imagining Coventry but I hope I can do it justice. The final result will still be quite guessy but it will explain quite a few details that aren't immediately apparent from the sketches and paintings. It'll be several years before it's finished assuming I don't lose impetus. Next up is Ironmonger Row and the Bull Ring area. The building opposite the Pilgrim's Rest was called the Meal Hall (or Meat Hall). It stretched from the Bull Ring all the way to Cross Cheaping. It was a significant building but I've never read much about it. Anyone else heard of it? Guess where I found some info on the meal hall? Edited by member, 19th Jun 2017 11:39 pm
Modelling the city
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 48  Tue 20th Jun 2017 7:34am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1043

Ah, good ol' J.B. Shelton, I'm so glad his fantastic 1930s articles have come in handy - without him we would be so much worse off for our knowledge of the old Coventry beneath our feet. My biggest wish, though, is that he'd taken a camera around with him, as we're still left wondering about so many things that he described in the limited time he could muster before the builders moved in.
Modelling the city

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 48 of 48 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

The Internet - a knowledge base without compare
|

Next (newer) topic

On this day, in Coventry . . .
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 67ms)