Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5394

Ricoh Arena model in 45,000 toothpicks Thumbs up
Modelling the city
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
77 of 81  Sun 6th Oct 2019 4:43pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1595

I'm well set for images of St Mary's Hall, including some impressively old views but there are a few niggling gaps. The plans read from left to right as they go up the building. On the ground floor I could do with a few more pictures of the guild room, on the right of the main gate as you look at it from the outside. I've got a few pictures looking towards the west but none to the east. While the scullery going into the kitchen is mostly newish, I have no photos that capture that space from the inside. The other end of the kitchen, including the stairs to the hall are also lacking in decent pictures. While the kitchen has been knocked about, some more images of that end might be helpful. On the first floor, I haven't got any photos looking down from the hall to the kitchens although I have got pictures of the door. Of the room next door, I have pictures looking from the door but none looking the other way. The way into Caesar's tower from that level is also a bit of a mystery. The second floor on the plans is somewhat complicated. The South range (right side of the plans) is 3 storey but the East range (top of the plans) and North range (left side) seem to be only 2 storey. The North side is fairly simple, give or take changed windows and doors but the East range has changed a lot. The ground floor used to be open to the elements and the stairway to the first floor on the south side is the bit we are familiar with. It's how you get to the Great Hall. The floor above the East range has a very fine window all the way along but doesn't seem open to the public. Originally it was one big room with stairs on the top edge of the map. The stairs don't appear on the modern maps and aren't pictured on the ground floor at all. The room was almost as grand as the Great Hall with carved filigree roof supports to match. I assume that those have long since gone because there are no photographs of anything like it. It seems like that area is used as a landing and office now. There are no photos of it that I can find. The stairs at the South end (right side of the plans) are modern I'm guessing but I don't know where they come from or go to. Of Caesar's tower, only the doorways need a bit of photographic love. I have a set of photos but haven't worked out which level applies to which photo. The number of times I photograph a doorway going in but forget coming out. Roll eyes So if you've got any photos of these odd bits or you find yourself able to capture them, I'd be very grateful if you could share them. Thumbs up Incidentally the vaulted space at the top of the plans known as the Muniments Room is 'modern'. Edited by member, 6th Oct 2019 6:19 pm
Modelling the city
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
78 of 81  Mon 7th Oct 2019 4:59pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:231

Helen, I expect that with your extensive research that you have already seen this article, however in case you haven't it is about The St Mary's Guildhall kitchens: Coventry planning
Modelling the city
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
79 of 81  Tue 8th Oct 2019 10:26am  

Outstanding Argon! No, I hadn't seen it. It's got some very interesting stuff including images I hadn't seen before eg Fig 8. The plan from before the main staircase was enclosed is particularly useful. Thanks a lot. Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up
Modelling the city
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
80 of 81  Tue 8th Oct 2019 10:48am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2265

Agreed - great find argon. Is the Knaves Post still there?
Modelling the city
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
81 of 81  Wed 16th Oct 2019 6:19pm  

I'm guessing that the knaves post is at the Herbert. The kitchen has been given another level.
Modelling the city

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 81 of 81 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Broadgate
|

Next (newer) topic

The Coventry you will never know