Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:151

This is the Broadgate I loved. Gilly Wave
Broadgate
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
467 of 475  Fri 8th Dec 2017 11:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3861

Hi all Wave As well as the folks enjoying a nosh in the Bridge Restaurant. Fabulous pic. Thank you. Greetings to you Gilly & family. Cheers Thumbs up
Broadgate
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
468 of 475  Sat 9th Dec 2017 10:26am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

And me Gilly, never did understand why they (whoever) had to change it at all. Christmas cheer to you and yours. Cheers
Broadgate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
469 of 475  Sat 9th Dec 2017 10:39am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4602

I concur about Broadgate! Wave
Broadgate
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
470 of 475  Sat 9th Dec 2017 2:38pm  
Off-topic / chat  

John1122
Coventry
All posts by this member
471 of 475  Sun 10th Dec 2017 9:25am  
Member: Joined Dec 2017  Total posts:1

On 9th Dec 2017 10:26am, Dreamtime said: And me Gilly, never did understand why they (whoever) had to change it at all. Christmas cheer to you and yours. Cheers
The devil himself has changed it... And we have to do something to get that back. I do not intend to live in that soulless concrete or scandalous lunapark ! you can help me by posting #MakeBroadgateGreenAgain on Twitter, Facebook anywhere. We deserve greenery not that disgusting vulgarity. It is shameful !
Broadgate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
472 of 475  Sun 10th Dec 2017 10:15am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4602

Many on this forum will share your feelings 101% - the loss of the island, the encroachment of Cathedral Lanes, the placement of Lady Godiva, all contribute to them (Sorry, don't do Twitter or Facebook, but wish you well!) Thumbs up
Broadgate
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
473 of 475  Sun 10th Dec 2017 1:33pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:832

From what I heard the island was always littered with drunks and the road busy and difficult to cross (that's from local friends of mine who remember it well) plus it was somewhat awkwardly bodged into the city's urban grid. Plans in the 1960s were to demolish most of the High Street and built two towers on Broadgate that flanked a route through to the Cathedral (the County Court would have been partially demolished). Later plans in the 1980s were to built a 'Lane' linking Broadgate to the Cathedral Quarter. I personally (and many people of mine and younger generations as well) am quite happy that Broadgate is starting to come to life now it is fronted by restaurants. It's been a dead spot for decades. Broadgate island has been gone for almost thirty years now and Cathedral Lanes has finally found its role.
Broadgate
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
474 of 475  Sun 10th Dec 2017 1:38pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1863

Growing up with Broadgate In the early 1930's Broadgate seemed to be a hive of shoppers bustling about the streets, there was a triangular piece that ran from Hales Street across the base, with the Burges running up one side and Butcher Row and the huge Cathedral on the other side. Both streets came to a point which I believe was Ironmonger Row and then the shops on either side of Broadgate. Around the mid-thirties the council cleared some of the slums and built Trinity Street but still retained the triangular shape, making Owen Owen keep to the shape, this allowed the traffic to flow into Broadgate from the Burges and Trinity Street simple and easy. From Hertford Street traffic flowed alongside the shops down through Cross Cheaping, with access down either Smithford Street or West Orchard to the Market or straight down into the Burges, the shops and buildings with their plaster and beamwork and the humble dwellings gave colour and interest and pleasure to the eye. Along came the war and destruction. By the 1950's we half-hoped, half-dreaded what the new planners had in store for us? The new planners couldn't be doing with triangles, and artistic work - first they built a box, placed it right across lower Broadgate (Owen Owen), said if you want get to the Burges you will have to go round, we want no more of Cross Cheaping and forget rebuilding West Orchard. Then they built two more tall blank-wall box buildings, one the called Broadgate House, the other Hotel Leofric, with a small gateway between leading to the part hidden Precinct. No more of the individual shops, with their colourful frontage and friendly banter. We would have to await what they planned for the other side of Broadgate. They built a circular green garden island to soften the stark blank walls of Broadgate House (didn't last long), they then thought, now we have trapped the smog and pollution in Broadgate we will create a restaurant over the top of Hertford Street, that will please the people, The character and buildings all gone to bricks concrete and stark walls. The fields, flowers and birds I knew of as a boy all went to modern housing, the quiet and peace now shattered by a modern highway of noise that vibrates day and night through the whole village, this as replaced the skylarks, and blackbird songs I once knew, (time to move on. ), Now I listen to the rage and roar of the sea, or it's peaceful murmer and song on the surf, seagulls have replaced the skylark Broadgate now a memory, left to a younger generation.
Broadgate
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
475 of 475  Sun 10th Dec 2017 1:59pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

A good post Kaga. Your quote 'Broadgate now a memory, left to the younger generation' - I wonder what they will turn it into next. Words fail me.
Broadgate

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 466 to 475 of 475 posts

Page 32 of 32

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .. 28 29 30 31 32
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

UK City of Culture 2021
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry City FC (Sky Blues)
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 83ms)