No actionNo action
475 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
466 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 8:40am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:995

Thanks Helen, a 1939 Cathedral Lanes then. I am surprised they had built modern for the time Owen Owen's and Trinity Street and then came up with a copy Tudor design like that. I wonder if there were so many discussions then as there are now about Cathedral Lanes.
Broadgate
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
467 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 9:03am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1567

Helen. I sure hope they had it insured with someone?
Broadgate
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
468 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 9:48am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:658

Ann, looking at the aerial shot, there was a clear intention to frame Holy Trinity with something Tudorish but modern. In many ways I can understand getting rid of the genuine stuff. It would have been rotting and cramped. Techniques for sympathetic restoration were unknown at the time... they were unknown until recently. I bet many were upset at the whole plan to demolish genuine historic buildings for soulless modern monstrosities Wink but others who embraced clean forward thinking lines. Coventry had been locked in time since the medieval era by poverty and land rights so the new prosperity boom from 1850 onwards must have been a relief for most. It changed a city from one that locked most homes within the walls to one with extensive suburbs and a mix of business, retail and housing in the centre. The business made the city a target but it also meant that a lot of people were living further out and safer. Kaga, I hope so too. It must have been devastating for so much new building work to be wiped out so soon after completion. For us the demolition of the old is more painful but at the time the new builds would have been a sign that things were on the up.
Broadgate
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
469 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 11:35am  

Helen, do you know if the building was ever completed. The 1939 Britain from above shows it under construction in May 1939 but I cannot find any pictures of it and of course the post bombing pictures don't show it at all ? I agree about having to knock a lot of the old buildings down. We have a very romantic view looking back at old pictures, like Butcher Row but we can't imagine the conditions behind the facade they must have been pretty horrendous, with meat etc. just lying out on displays. It must have been a terrible health hazard. They must have been very damp as well. My grandfather lost his first wife and 3 children between 1901 and 1905, all with chest related illnesses. I was just commenting on architectural styles, thinking nothing changes, as we have seen on this site debates can get very heated about styles as we all have different opinions as to what we like. I don't have a very strong opinion but I do know I was not very keen on the concrete of the 60's.
Broadgate
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
470 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 11:59am  

They did complete it but I think that there's only one photo of it I've seen intact. Your artists impression is far superior. The library picture shows Broadgate looking south, with the new building on the very left and the ugly Boots conversion on the right. I'd not even registered that there was a separate block of mock Tudor, although when you posted your picture I knew I'd seen it before. I'm useless at remembering anything I've seen unless it is the earliest version available. Re damp. One the of disasters of modern building was the cladding of old timber buildings in brick and worse, concrete. Instead of preserving them, they hastened their demise because they stopped the buildings breathing. Water was trapped against the old timbers and they rotted in decades, where they had survived for centuries when exposed to the elements. Edited by member, 24th Mar 2017 12:04 pm
Broadgate
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
471 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 1:01pm  

Is this the one you mean Helen, 4th picture along, it says 1937 but must be post 1939
Broadgate
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
472 of 475  Fri 24th Mar 2017 1:14pm  

Thumbs up
Broadgate
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
473 of 475  Sat 25th Mar 2017 8:05am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1567

Helen, you're so right, My grandfather lost two sons and two daughters to TB, it was absolutely rife, early twentieth century, my family were riddled with it, including me, but everyone put it down to milk in those days. I like your version of damp better. I posted on Butcher Row somewhere about the smells and pollution of the area. Some shops smelled real rancid, but great sides of meat were out in the open, some were covered slightly with a thin layer of muslin but it never covered the whole carcass. Few shopkeepers washed their hands between handling things, pat their brylcreemed hair, then handle cheese etc. ''Ugh''
Broadgate
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
474 of 475  Sat 25th Mar 2017 10:10am  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red

All posts by this member
475 of 475  Fri 7th Apr 2017 1:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4272

Just come across this view - not sure of a date (possibly 1970?) Rather nice, isn't it! Smile
Broadgate

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 466 to 475 of 475 posts

Page 32 of 32

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .. 28 29 30 31 32
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry on film
|

Next (newer) topic

Hertford Street
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 55ms)