No actionNo action
90 posts:
Order:    

dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
76 of 90  Tue 3rd Nov 2015 9:09am  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:318

I also have very strong roots with Coventry through the wife as most on the forum know, the thing is I hear people on here saying that they've not been back to the place they say they love for years, that's why I posted this as the Premier Inn offer will soon go for weekends or they put the price up for Saturday night (which would stop me booking). We have also booked for the 6th March (that's the Mothering Sunday weekend), this year got that for only £100 not bad for a 4 day break.
Visiting Coventry
Skybluedave
Crewe
All posts by this member
77 of 90  Tue 3rd Nov 2015 12:03pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2015  Total posts:16

This thread is very apt for me. As a Coventrian, I have not visited the City properly for 30 years other than trips to the Ricoh and previously Highfield Road. For some time I have felt the need to return to my roots, to have a good look around old schools, houses where we lived and old haunts, really a trip down memory lane. Well, we made that trip last weekend, staying at the Premier Inn Earlsdon Park for 3 nights, a nostalgic choice really as I was a student at the former Cov Tech back in the mid 1970's. The shell of the main building, including the staircase and Albany Theatre is still there evoking many memories. I must say the hotel was a very pleasant experience with excellent rates, good facilities and the staff were second to none in terms of friendliness, attentiveness and service. I can't speak highly enough about them. I must say the city centre itself was a pleasant surprise. Yes there are tatty parts, too many pound shops and empty shops but you see this everywhere, not just in Coventry. There were certainly plenty of shoppers around and the tills were very busy. We even started our Christmas shopping and I was generally proud to show my other half and youngest son (who have no connection with Coventry) the city of my birth. Definitely won't leave it another 30 years Smile
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
78 of 90  Wed 4th Nov 2015 5:17pm  

Will anyone else be coming down for Christmas shopping plus to have a look round the city at all the changes that's been taking place over the last two years you'll be very surprised, I for one can't wait to see what Coventry will look like after the next two years if they keep on at this rate. Premier Inn, Belgrade Plaza - pick a date and click dates flexible
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
79 of 90  Fri 26th Feb 2016 12:18pm  

I still look and read all your posts on here but don't post much, I would just like to say I'll be down again in the next few days walking round your small city looking for the changes thats taken place since my last visit and I know that I'll find some as I do everytime we come down Thumbs up (already booked for July) Can't wait to see it in two years as things should be finished by then, so love your town and only look at the good things they are doing to make it a better place for the future, most will know that as an outsider I never liked the old Broadgate as it was but loved the change that was taking place in Broadgate from day 1
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
80 of 90  Tue 8th Mar 2016 11:02pm  

We were down this weekend for four days Oh my and what a weekend we had with the weather Thumbs up couldn't have been better, got some good photos of things that's changed from last time we were down and things about to change for future Smile like this photo of them looking for any unexploded bombs before they can start on the new student accommodation, they must have to do this before any new build in the city Why have they put this back in almost the same place from my last visit in December, is there some history to it This was taken down, done up and replaced, in Jan/Feb 2016 This will never work in Broadgate I'll give it 12 months This was taken while having a drink outside Wetherspoons 7th March 2016, look at the sky Feel free to delete any or all photos Edited by member, 9th Mar 2016 12:42 am
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
81 of 90  Sun 13th Mar 2016 9:14am  

I make short video clips of my walk around your city Oh my I just keep clicking the camcorder on of anything and on my return home, I download them to a DVD to save for when we get to old to make the trips down as it should bring back some good memories ( deleting clips now off Youtube) Edited by member, 14th Mar 2016 8:20 am
Visiting Coventry
Midland Red

All posts by this member
82 of 90  Mon 28th Mar 2016 11:35am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4265

I now qualify to post to this thread Thumbs up as sadly we are over 50 miles away Sad - so it's really good to find a sunny day to visit and walk the city centre as I was able to on Good Friday - here's a selection of what I saw Wave
Visiting Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
83 of 90  Mon 28th Mar 2016 11:50am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1569

I love all of the photos of modern Coventry, keeps me a little in touch, such brilliant photo's Thank you MR, Dougie.
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
84 of 90  Fri 21st Oct 2016 10:33pm  

Hi Philip, it's all your fault if anything goes wrong, I've booked a long weekend in Coventry with a twist. Instead of coming down by car I've booked train tickets for the first time ever from Wigan to Coventry at just £14 each return + a family room for 3 nights at the Premier Inn for a grand total of £126 not bad, When reading people posting saying they would like to have a walk round the town to see the changes I can't for the life of me see why they don't just book a few days (you have to book the train and room in advance to get them at this price).
Visiting Coventry
Canadian
Canada
All posts by this member
85 of 90  Sat 29th Oct 2016 2:12pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2016  Total posts:1

On 19th Aug 2011 11:30am, looloos said: My dad worked at Jones toolmakers
Sorry about the delay in replying but I only found this site last night! I worked at Jones's for a while before I emigrated to Canada in the very late 80's. Company had just been bought by some '"out of towner" and things didn't look to good future wise. Sad Born & bred in Coventry and miss the old place, I was back this year on vacation and boy has it changed! Enjoyed the beer & the food, even took in a soccer game. Thumbs up
English by Birth, British by the grace of God, Canadian by choice...

Visiting Coventry
Midland Red

All posts by this member
86 of 90  Sat 29th Oct 2016 2:20pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4265

Hello Canadian, welcome to our friendly forum Wave Look forward to your recollections of the city and its people Thumbs up
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
87 of 90  Tue 28th Mar 2017 8:58am  

As most know we come down to Coventry to see the family and bring flowers three or four times a year, we were down last weekend for four days, these are the flowers we changed, We had booked train tickets this time at £14 return Wigan to Coventry but we changed our minds and came down by car as usual, anyone that uses the M6 knows how bad it is Angry at the best of time but on Friday one of the bridges was damaged and they closed the motorway Just like to say again we paid under £100 in the Premier Inn in town for the four days so anyone that's not been back to Coventry and would like to visit book well in advance, we've all ready booked for 5 days in July Thumbs up Christmas Flowers Mothering Sunday Flowers
Visiting Coventry
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
88 of 90  Wed 29th Mar 2017 8:07pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:838

Nice pictures of Cov. It can be a great place when the sun is out.
Visiting Coventry
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
89 of 90  Sat 15th Apr 2017 10:30am  

For Helen from Warrington, plus others on this site that would like to spend some time in Coventry for a few days Have you looked at the Premier Inn in town for a few days, we booked Mothering Sunday weekend Friday to Monday for £100 also booked return train tickets from Wigan/Coventry for £14 each Blush but we didn't use them Smile we like the car too much Wink We've also booked 5 days in July, £130 in the Belgrade Premier Inn for a summer break so we can travel about on the bus to different places but we class that as a short summer holiday Big grin Being an OAP the bus is free so no driving Thumbs up
Visiting Coventry
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
90 of 90  Sat 15th Apr 2017 11:05am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:655

Thanks Dougie, I have considered the Premier Inn a few times but I hate their booking software so much I've had to drop out before I've got round to booking for fear of damaging my computer. Angry Roll eyes Sympathies with the M6. I went down to Surrey and back in the last fortnight and both times there was a massive queue on the opposite side. The first time I went down to Coventry for research I was stuck on the way back for five hours Oh my because of a major storm brought down trees. My sister didn't think I'd go again. Edited by member, 15th Apr 2017 11:13 am
Visiting Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 90 of 90 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Easter
|

Next (newer) topic

Dirty Stop Outs from the 1970s!
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 44ms)