No actionNo action
97 posts:
Order:    

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
91 of 97  Wed 2nd Aug 2017 9:27pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

I visited my friends in Coventry yesterday and as usual we mull over old times - Coventry and the things we got up to. I mentioned the photo on Broadgate thread 421 and referred to the wartime open air "shanty" West Orchard market, that I sometimes visited during lunch time from school, I don`t know what date the photo is, but I think it is later than 1947/51 when I was about. My friend immediately mentioned the static water tanks that I think were alongside the old Woolies, funny because I had been looking for them myself and couldn`t see them on the photo, so perhaps they had gone under the new Smithford Way building. The conversation then drifted on to what were the attractions on the stalls and we all immediately said "Home decorating". I don`t know if every front door had to be wood grained after the war, but there used to be a chap on the market demonstrating in front of a small crowd. He had a flat block of wood in front of him, on which he painted some brown scumble (he called it) then he applied a tool that was like a block of wood shaped rounded, like an old fashioned ink blotter. He pushed it up and down the block oscillating it as he went and lo and behold a wood grain finish appeared. The talk then turned to the perils of redecorating living room walls just after the war - no wallpaper available, so some went for a stipple finish which used to imprint the shape and colour of flower foliage in stripes up and down the wall. Does anybody remember those days of make-do and mend.
Visiting Coventry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
92 of 97  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 2:26am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

I do certainly Roger, My mum's shop was stippled from top to bottom. One in King Richard St. also the one in Batsford Road. Awful it was but served the job when needed (with a sponge). Thank heavens you don't see it now - or do you? Roll eyes
Visiting Coventry
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
93 of 97  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 9:18am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:714

The fake wood kit and scumble were still being pushed as late as the mid 90s (if not still going). The people presenting it on TV and in markets were very good. Whereas most who tried it, weren't. It and other texturing techniques fell out of favour with the advent of The House Doctor, as far as I can tell. People started making places much more neutral, adding patterns in cushions and feature walls. Those things can be easily changed when you get bored or move. People who tried neutralising to attract a buyer, discovered they quite liked the effect. Through the same period bathrooms went white and carpets lost their patterns. The various design industries despair because people aren't changing big priced items like bathrooms as fast as when a colour/pattern was either in or out. Whether busy forms of decoration will ever return I don't know. Whenever I've had to strip a wall of paper, especially woodchip I swear I'll never go that way and there has been a boom in people buying un-modernised properties to do up and sell. Sadly it's part of what has priced youngsters out of the market. In the past, a property with scary decoration was a bargain. People often lived with the design mistakes until their income matched their taste. Now those properties are a sought after investment and many young people are so used to pristine properties they reject places that don't fit their idea of habitable. Sad I was lucky that my university digs prepared me for the worst - rats, hot and cold running slugs and holes you could see daylight through. My first home (in Coventry) was perfectly sound under multiple layers of regrettable decorating fads. Thumbs up
Visiting Coventry
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
94 of 97  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 10:52am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:288

Our home in Hall Green Rd suffered some roof damage after a bomb fell on Tom Taylors 3 acre meadow. It took about a month before the War Hag got round to carrying out the repair. During that month water damaged much of the upstairs d├ęcor. When the painters eventually moved in, all upstairs needed decorating. The only choice we had was green background with a yellow stipple or a yellow background with a green stipple, we chose the first option. All the woodwork was grained, the painter had a choice of combs for various wood effects. The overall result would have been thought ghastly today but then it was thought to be quite pleasant.
Visiting Coventry
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
95 of 97  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 4:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:994

LesMac suggested "All the woodwork was grained, the painter had a choice of combs for various wood effects. The overall result would have been thought ghastly today but then it was thought to be quite pleasant." I guess you mean like this. When I moved to the house in Accrington in 1990 all the internal doors were decorated so.
Visiting Coventry
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
96 of 97  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 6:08pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

Now you`ve got me guessing Pixrobin. You must have had a reason for taking and keeping that photo. "Ghastly today but then quite pleasant" Which of the two was it then? Cheers
Visiting Coventry
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
97 of 97  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 7:34pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:994

My paternal grandfather did graining in London, I think during the 1920s/30s. I never delete pictures - but that's why I have 2x 3 terabyte drives attached as network drives. I currently have around 150,000 images stored that I have taken since the beginning of the century. Since returning to Coventry 2.5 years ago I have added around 12,000 new images, but I am not as mobile as I used to be. And now that image has proved its worth in that some younger members may never have seen what 'graining' looks like.
Visiting Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 97 of 97 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Matterson Huxley and Watson
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)