No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Sat 13th Apr 2013 8:32am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:855

Hello. Thursday night I had to go to the railway station to pick my son up on his return from London. I arrived a half hour too early, so I decided to have a walk around the place. I could not believe in that short time I was "tapped up" by beggars twice. I don't know whether it's me being old fashioned or just out of touch but I did not realise this sort of thing was still going on in our city. After that I decided to return to my car and lock the doors. Has anyone had this happen to them and what is your view on this? Sad
Milly rules

News, Media and Current Affairs - Beggars
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Sat 13th Apr 2013 10:03am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3947

Hi Norm, Wave Yes, & often. B'ham New St is the worst around here by far in my experience for beggars. The UK, apart from state welfare, has charities that are dedicated to helping those most in need. They have trained counsellors who recognise the signs of need, over & above a beggars plead, that may be for inappropriate purposes, which sadly Sad it usually is.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Sat 13th Apr 2013 5:42pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:844

There have been beggars in Coventry since at least 1989. Used to be proper 'bag ladies' back then as well, pushing trolleys around full of stuff.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Sun 14th Apr 2013 3:26am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2986

Morning all, Back when I was a working girl I used to use the underpass in Broadgate, under the clock, and was confronted by a young lad around ten years old asked me for some money for a bus home. I forget now how much it was but I gave him more than enough. Then blow me down he was there again next day asking someone else. I didn't say anything at the time but looked out for him again. Quite a little enterprise going I would say. I often wonder what he is doing now. Wave
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Mon 15th Apr 2013 4:27pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:469

I think beggars have always been a part of most cities. When I first came to Coventry there was a bloke in the city centre who used to ask for money (though not as politely as that) and then try to hit you with his stick if you didn't give him any.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Tue 16th Apr 2013 3:31am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2986

Hi everyone, They hang around here too, mainly round the bus and train stations, trying to catch an unaware tourist or visitor, a bit of logic in that I suppose!!!!! Oh my
pete kiley
new zealand
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Sat 1st Feb 2014 7:05am  
Member: Joined Jan 2014  Total posts:28

Oh well, maybe the lad had several homes to go home to Wink
Tim Hamer
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Mon 3rd Feb 2014 6:05pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2013  Total posts:25

Old Lincolnian has it right, they're a part of life. I remember it being very bad in the mid 70's in Pool Meadow when you were waiting for a bus on a Sunday morning. If it wasn't someone begging for cash, it was some religious crank, trying to convert you to whatever.
THamer

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry voted an ugly city
|

Next (newer) topic

We're famous!
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 118ms)