No actionNo action
15 posts:
Order:    

InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
1 of 15  Tue 23rd Aug 2011 9:00am  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:126

I have found several references to the pre-war Market Street. However, I cannot find it on any of my maps. I assume it is the street that connected the Market Place to Smithford Street. Does anyone know its location?
Regards Innis Road

Market Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 15  Tue 23rd Aug 2011 2:19pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

"Market Street" was the original name for Market Place/Market Way before it was closed to traffic.
Market Street
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 15  Tue 23rd Aug 2011 7:36pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1392

Hi Laurence, I think I have the answer you're looking for. Most maps don't seem to label the smaller streets - in fact even the high-detail 1851 map doesn't mark Market Street. However, I found two that do, so below are extracts scanned from 1905 and 1937 maps of Coventry.... and you'll be pleased to see that you are absolutely spot on with your assumption! Thumbs up 1905 1937
Market Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
4 of 15  Tue 23rd Aug 2011 7:57pm  

Ah yes. I should have noticed the words "pre-war"! Blush
Market Street
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 15  Tue 23rd Aug 2011 8:04pm  

No worries Dutchman, it was great to see that super photo of the fledgling precinct anyway! You do come up with some great images - I'd love to know where you find 'em. Thumbs up
Market Street
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 15  Tue 23rd Aug 2011 9:46pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1568

Rob, seeing your scans of early maps, do either of them show "Lockhurst Lane" any different to the layout it occupies today? In a separate thread, I was enquiring about No 47, Lockhurst Lane - but travelling it today, there just doesnt seem enough space on that side of the road for that number of houses. As Philip pointed out, the pub just inside Lockhurst Lane is numbered in the 90's. Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread! Blush
Market Street
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 15  Wed 24th Aug 2011 2:48am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3208

Absolutely fascinating these old maps. Looking at Market Street reminds me of when my mother used to take me 'to town'. It was always to the 'old market' or 'new market' in those days, and of course the fish market. You boys have a lot better memory than me. Ttfn Lol
Market Street
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
8 of 15  Wed 24th Aug 2011 9:22am  

On 23rd Aug 2011 7:36pm, Rob Orland said: I think I have the answer you're looking for.....
That's Great Rob. The next question is, does anyone have any pics of the pre-war Market Street? It's interesting to see your map. It explains why the market was known as West Orchard Market, which continued as an open air market after the war for a time, along with the Rex Market and the Barracks Market, before the present market hall was opened. It's also interesting that on the 1610 map the area of the Market is called Cross Cheaping, as opposed to the later use for the top half of The Burgess. Of course, cheaping (or Chipping, in the case of town names) meant a market and, presumably, the Cross was Coventry Cross located at the North end of Broadgate.
Regards Innis Road

Market Street
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
9 of 15  Fri 26th Aug 2011 9:05pm  

On 23rd Aug 2011 2:19pm, dutchman said: "Market Street" was the original name for Market Place/Market Way before it was closed to traffic.
There is a story that was current amongst city centre traders in the early 1960s. How much truth there was in it I leave to the reader's imagination. It went something like this: After the war, the Precinct was designed to roughly follow the line of Smithford Street and, running at right angles, was to be a traffic-carrying shopping road, along the lines of "The Future Coventry". That road eventually became Market Way and Smithford Way. Many traders signed up for tentative leases. Then the plans were changed to make the new road into a pedestrian-only road, like the Precinct. Many traders got cold feet and threatened to pull out. So the original plans were reinstated. However, once most of the leases were completed, the plans were changed again, to the eventual configuration of pedestrianised roads with no traffic. This left many of the traders with a sour taste. Of course you may choose to take the story with a pinch of salt!
Regards Innis Road

Market Street
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
10 of 15  Fri 2nd Sep 2011 9:19am  

I hope you don't mind, Rob, but I've used the fragment of the 1905 map on the CCT website to illustrate the location of Market Street.
Regards Innis Road

Market Street
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 15  Sat 3rd Sep 2011 4:34pm  

Ooops... I nearly forgot to respond to this one! Of course I don't mind you using that map Laurence, I'm glad I could help.
Market Street
madpierre
london
All posts by this member
12 of 15  Sat 19th Nov 2011 3:19pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2

Hi guys, I have been researching my family history and have discovered that my Great Grandfather Thomas Hands was the Landlord of the Lamp Tavern in Market Street in 1912. Does anyone have any details, photos or any links that may help with my research please? Thumbs up Many thanks Mark
Market Street
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
13 of 15  Sat 19th Nov 2011 5:23pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:566

Hi Rob Do you have a 1937 and or 1950 map showing Fleet St, St Johns church, and Q V Rd?
Market Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
14 of 15  Sat 19th Nov 2011 6:43pm  

On 19th Nov 2011 3:19pm, madpierre said: Does anyone have any details, photos or any links that may help with my research please?
Hi Mark Wave According to John Ashby's "The Character of Coventry" it was located at No 21, was listed as early as 1868 and closed circa 1939. Hope that helps.
Market Street
madpierre
london
All posts by this member
15 of 15  Sat 19th Nov 2011 8:57pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2

Hi Dutchman Many thanks for the prompt reply it helps a lot! It seems that as far back as 1805 my family have our roots firmly planted in Coventry Thumbs up
Market Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Photos from 1963
|

Next (newer) topic

Photos from 1971
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category