No actionNo action
12 posts:
Order:    

flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 1:11pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:882

I was wondering around the back of the Burges today, and wondered what this building was used for. It doesn't look particularly old, but it's an odd shape! Are there any photographs of this area in the past? Were there buildings alongside the (cobbled) streets?
What was this building used for?
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 1:54pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1957

That area really fascinates me too, flap. The view to the back of buildings behind the Burges where the Sherbourne is viewable is one area in town that still looks like old Coventry. There's another thread on here about the building to the right of that one which is the entrance to the bunker underneath the former Owens building. That one does look odd though doesn't it? I'll get Googling!
TEKMELF
HAWKESBURY
All posts by this member
3 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 2:09pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:80

The building prior to closing down was a tool store, possibly Tuck and Blakemore. The entrance to Owen Owen was in fact a service tunnel to deliver the goods into the store.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 2:09pm  

There were plans to do some sort of regeneration of this area. I've visited towns where places like this have been turned into little shopping areas for non-mainstream goods - somewhere like Camden locks. There are timbers in the some of the buildings: I saw the Sherbourne - although I didn't realise it was so small! Odd little area. They really do need to get something built where the pub was, as the area is a bit of a mess!
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
5 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 2:30pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2996

On 28th May 2013 2:09pm, TEKMELF said: The building prior to closing down was a tool store, possibly Tuck and Blakemore.
It's listed in planning records as belonging to John Hall Tools Ltd. but was last used as offices.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 3:49pm  

Thanks Dutchman and TEKMELF. Have you got a map of the area as it was pre-war?
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
7 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 5:37pm  

On 28th May 2013 3:49pm, flapdoodle said: Have you got a map of the area as it was pre-war?
Yes but none of the buildings in Trinity Street appear on it: Old-Maps.co.uk (1937) The cleared area shown on the map was formerly Smithfield Market.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
8 of 12  Tue 28th May 2013 10:59pm  

The long thin building running parallel to it is the receiving warehouse for Owen Owen which has since been demolished.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
9 of 12  Wed 29th May 2013 5:55pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1379

If the building behind was a receiving warehouse for the pre war Owen Owen store could it have perhaps been the goods in offices for Owen Owen. Lorries coming down Palmer Lane would have gone round it. Incidentally I just googled Owen Owen and I never realised all the years I shopped there that it was a person's name, apparently he came from Machynlleth.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 12  Wed 29th May 2013 6:07pm  

I think that's a good theory. It looks as if the building has the same frontage as the one next to it (that has now gone) which means they may have been built at the same. I really do think the layout of that area was far better pre-war. Donald Gibson's layout is terrible, just like most of his layout for the Precinct.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
11 of 12  Fri 5th Oct 2018 5:26pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:952

TEKMELF As soon as I saw your identification the name came back as clear as a bell. It was indeed Tuck & Blakemore!
Davey
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 12  Sat 6th Oct 2018 3:42pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:71

I believe Ian Harrabin of Fargo, CET Building etc. acquired that building so it could well turn into something interesting.
DavidT

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

B O Morris (Morrisflex)
|

Next (newer) topic

Well Street