No actionNo action
17 posts:
Order:    

Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
16 of 17  Fri 9th Sep 2016 3:46pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:360

When I was a toddler, the welfare clinic found I had one leg slightly shorter than the other, about an eighth of an inch or so, and diagnosed that I had picked up the polio virus. I cannot remember anything about it, but am relying on what my parents told me. I was either treated successfully, and/or my body's natural defences sorted it out, but I made a full recovery, and am perfectly normal now (physically!). I guess I was one of the lucky ones, as I remember that when I was at school, it was not uncommon to see adults in leg irons, callipers, or special built-up shoes because one leg was several inches shorter than the other. I was told that was because of polio.
Polio outbreak 1950s
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
17 of 17  Sat 10th Sep 2016 9:50am  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:84

On 14th Jun 2013 12:50pm, morgana said: Do you know if that is Bell Green shopping centre in the photo where the children are skating, doesn't it look better there than now if it is.
The shopping centre is Willenhall precinct. Edited by Midland Red, 14th Sep 2016 4:36 pm (Copied to "Shops of yore" thread, together with responses, in order to maintain this thread on-topic)
Polio outbreak 1950s

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 17 of 17 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Seeley family
|

Next (newer) topic

Wheelwright Lane cottage
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 92ms)