No actionNo action
2 posts:
Order:    

MikeVining
Earlsdon
All posts by this member
1 of 2  Mon 1st Jul 2013 12:25pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:1

Hi I am interested in the history of what I believe to be the original joinery works for the estate at 5 Arden Street. Most recently it has been a mechanics workshop and goodness knows what else before. I understand that it was built before construction of the houses at Arden Street as the joinery shop to make all of the windows and doors for the rest of the street with the intention that when the building work came up to the last plot they would make the windows for a new house on No 5 and then demolish it and reuse the bricks to build the last unit and, obviously the windows and doors. The joinery works was built using ash cement which is weak to allow the bricks to be easily reused. The building actually sits at the back of the plot of No 5 but also of No 7 which consequently has, and always did have, a shorter garden. However, I am told that the builder went bust before all of this happened and as such the joinery works have remained and sit there still (weak cement and all!!) Smile I would be grateful if anyone is able to confirm this and if so if they have any plans, or other evidence of use that help confirm this. I am guessing this all happened in circa 1850 / 1860 era so not sure if photographic evidence is available but if early photo's are then I would again be most grateful. Many thanks to whoever in advance. Mike
Mike Vining

Arden Street, Earlsdon
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
2 of 2  Mon 1st Jul 2013 1:15pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2291

Welcome to Historic Coventry
Arden Street, Earlsdon

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Water Pumps
|

Next (newer) topic

Samson and Lion, Swanswell Place
View similar topics in the Town Planning and Development category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 234ms)