Next pageNo action
19 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 19  Wed 10th Jul 2013 11:58am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:467

Did anyone else do this or was it just me and a few friends? Blush Looking back it seems one of the most pointless things to have done, but it was also one of cheapest. We used to go down to the main road to write down the numbers plates of cars as they drove past. The object was to collect all the numbers from 1 to 999 and also to collect each combination of registration letters (usually the last two letters, I seem to remember the first letter was the year of regstration) Ian Allen (of trainspotting book fame) and I-Spy both produced books of the registration letters so we could work out where the vehicles were first registered.
Motoring - Vehicle Registration Numbers
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
2 of 19  Wed 10th Jul 2013 12:39pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1091

We went to cars in the park in Lichfield on Sunday and there was a chap taking photos of all the cars and number plates. He said he was doing just that, trying to collect a car with each number.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 19  Wed 10th Jul 2013 12:44pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 19  Thu 11th Jul 2013 7:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4703

Didn't collect the numbers as a youngster, but the letters, yes! - the last two denoting the place of registration Coventry's were RW, WK, KV, VC, DU, HP Birmingham's were all or most of the O-'s Others I recall were CV (Cornwall), VV (Northamptonshire), MA (Cheshire), RE and RF (Staffordshire) Warwickshire had WD, AC and UE
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 19  Fri 12th Jul 2013 10:59am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:467

I am pleased to know that we weren't the only ones. My local registration letters were FE and VL. We also used to collect car leaflets. The father of a friend on mine taught us how to write letters to garages to ask for a leaflet on a new model so they would think it was an adult asking and therefore a potential sale. Unfortunately this backfired on a couple of occasions with salesmen turning up at our houses offering test drives. Most saw the funny side though but when one salesman found out that nobody in my family drove he threatened to report us, stormed out to his car, slammed the door, started the engine and then promptly stalled it. He eventually drove off down the street red-faced with everybody sniggering at him Big grin
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 19  Fri 12th Jul 2013 5:37pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1550

EGX432 was my fathers first vehicle - a black 1952 Ford Anglia. His second was OHP331, another Ford Anglia. I know the second is local, but EGX? I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten me Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 19  Fri 12th Jul 2013 6:12pm  

Just looked it up for you, GX was London South East
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
8 of 19  Mon 28th Apr 2014 12:12pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:996

I used to collect car registrations as a lad, but it was the letters rather than the numbers that interested me. Even the latest registration letters refer to locations. A list can be found here: Modern Car Registrations
deanocity3
keresley
All posts by this member
9 of 19  Mon 28th Apr 2014 9:57pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2013  Total posts:359

My dad had a Ford Capri PRW 82G, he sold it, and the chap he sold it to turned it into a Hot Rod racing car
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 19  Sun 11th May 2014 8:53pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:172

That's brought back memories! We used to collect numbers in Howat Road, Keresley End in the 60's - don't know why, as there were hardly any cars then! Big grin
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
11 of 19  Mon 12th May 2014 10:49am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:347

There's a document describing the early history of the vehicle registration mark system here (pdf file).
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
12 of 19  Wed 14th May 2014 3:28pm  

Whilst walking through the Oxfordshire market town of Bicester this morning, I noticed a 2013 Range Rover bearing a "cherished" number plate - AKV1 This would originally have been issued by Coventry - I wonder when it first appeared, and if there are any records/photos of it "in a previous life"? Oh my
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
13 of 19  Wed 3rd Aug 2016 8:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:396

I never collected car numbers, but remember, as young kid on holiday (in the UK of course, typically a caravan holiday in Devon, in the days before anyone could afford holidays abroad, cos we was poor...etc.), my father saying "that family is from Coventry". "How do you know, Daddy, do you know them?" "No, it's the number plate. VC - that's from Coventry. And RW, and HP sauce. O in the middle is Birmingham. WD is Warwickshire." He explained that he'd picked this up over the years simply by observation. WD was his favourite. He would have liked WD1 on his car, for WD were his initials.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
14 of 19  Thu 4th Aug 2016 12:37pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1933

Woodford. Yeh, I remember as a kid on a tram, between Longford and Bishop Street, I counted very tall factory chimneys, my sister counted not registrations but number of cars, and I had twice as many numbers as my sister.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
15 of 19  Thu 4th Aug 2016 12:49pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:396

Many moons ago, we were driving through Birmingham, and spotted the plate BERT on an old Allegro some way ahead. When we caught up with it at the lights, we realised it was actually 13 ERT, illegally spaced to read BERT!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Classic Coventry Motorcycles - general
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Motor Cycle Club
You are viewing topics in the Motoring category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 64ms)