No actionNo action
85 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
76 of 85  Tue 17th Mar 2020 1:38pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3471

On 16th Mar 2020 12:23pm, Helen F said: Your flowers are fantastic. What's the blue one in the first picture, if I may ask?
Sorry Helen, I think you were referring to the dark blue bedding plant Lobelia, I put those in every Spring but find they self seed if you leave them alone. If you want a mass of various colours try Vincas for filling in, the bright red I have as shown as well have been popping up for a couple of years and are self seeding which gives a better show. Should grow well in your type of soil. I should imagine any soil is better than what I have. Happy Gardening by the way.
Things you see (non-Cov)
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
77 of 85  Tue 17th Mar 2020 1:58pm  

Helen, was this the blue you were referring to? This was taken last year of most of the colours of Lobelia. Some of them shown have self seeded.
Things you see (non-Cov)
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
78 of 85  Tue 17th Mar 2020 2:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1947

That's the one. I did wonder if it was lobelia. Fantastic colours there. Why is annual lobelia blues and perennial reds?
Things you see (non-Cov)
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
79 of 85  Tue 17th Mar 2020 4:05pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:250

O.K. back to the frogs Wink Some thirty-five years ago, I was having trouble with rain water holding in my back garden, I cut this channel round the garden under the flags (as we call them) to a grid. Little did I know the frogs would make it their home - they still keep popping up in the garden.
Things you see (non-Cov)
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
80 of 85  Wed 18th Mar 2020 4:24am  

On 17th Mar 2020 2:30pm, Helen F said: Why is annual lobelia blues and perennial reds?
You have me there Helen, I find I am happy with the self seeders and maybe the climate helps. I have a lot of potted colour due to not having a bigger garden but the vincas are a winner planted out because of so many colours it gives. The red one in the pot below is a self seeder from the beginning of our summer and the white one speaks for itself in the ground (about 2 yrs). If you can get your hands on some Jade, do so, it makes a lovely feature in the garden and is easy to strike cuttings just by breaking a piece off. You can shape it any way you want it - short or small, a lovely small glossy leaf and takes full sun. I had better get out of here before a Mod tells me to “gerrroooorrrf.” Wave
Things you see (non-Cov)
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
81 of 85  Wed 18th Mar 2020 7:51am  

Gerrroooorrrf. Lol I've never come across vincas before. An interesting alternative to Busy Lizzies.
Things you see (non-Cov)
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
82 of 85  Wed 18th Mar 2020 12:55pm  

The very same Helen. When I wanted some a few years ago when setting the garden here I asked for Busy Lizzies and was shown the Vincas. It's an upside down world here, we have different names for everything. Having said that, a rose is a rose and like many more of the beautiful flowers are the same. By the way, will you be laying a lawn?
Things you see (non-Cov)
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
83 of 85  Wed 25th Mar 2020 6:29pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:250

Mods- hopefully I've Deleted my thread, was just trying to show something we do to pass the time why in self isolation Edited by member, 25th Mar 2020 8:06 pm
Things you see (non-Cov)
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
84 of 85  Wed 25th Mar 2020 7:05pm  

Hi dougie. Other mods or Rob may have a different opinion but - This site used to have two forums, one for Coventry and one for other stuff. While they were merged, it doesn't mean that other stuff can't be posted. I don't see a reason why non controversial stuff can't be linked too. There's no need to upload them here though because YouTube can take the hard disk usage and bandwidth but Rob's hard disk probably can't. Just type a little introduction and include a link, as you have done. Add a snapshot picture too if you want. If there's no suitable topic, consider starting a new one eg Forum Members' Videos. As there's no advertising here, there's no benefit to embed videos and I don't think that feature is enabled here. Edited by member, 25th Mar 2020 8:37 pm
Things you see (non-Cov)
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
85 of 85  Thu 26th Mar 2020 8:07am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5561

Pet Corner
Things you see (non-Cov)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 85 of 85 posts

Page 6 of 6