No actionNo action
9 posts:
Order:    

Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
1 of 9  Fri 12th Jul 2013 9:45am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:370

Hello all. There's an interesting comment to a post in the 'Coventry Memories' Forum that relates to the aftermath of the Aberfan Disaster in 1966. The author states "The 1966 Birthday Show was on at the Coventry Theatre at the time of the Aberfan disaster featuring The Tornados, Mike and Bernie Winters, Bert Weedon, Stan Stennett and Johnny Hackett. It was decided amongst the cast that their fees and money from the night's takings would go the Aberfan fund. But instead so much was raised in Coventry that the people of Aberfan built a playground for the remaining children and called it the Coventry playground." What a great item. Can anyone else shed light on this?
Aberfan tragedy, 21 Oct 1966
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 9  Fri 12th Jul 2013 10:45am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:486

Here's a link to an article about the Aberfan playground Aberfan Playground A few years ago the playground fell into disrepair and was partially dismantled. I'm pretty certain and it has now been bulldozed to make space for new homes with plans to put up a memorial plaque. There was an article on television about it last year but I cannot remember the programme
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 9  Fri 12th Jul 2013 11:43am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3124

Personally, I think that is disgraceful letting it go like that. I remember the disaster very well. Isn't that just the way, the least they could have done would be to rebuild it somewhere else with those children in mind and with the same plaque. Perhaps they have, I don't know. It is just as if they have been forgotten!
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 9  Fri 12th Jul 2013 12:52pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:486

I completely agree with you Dreamtime, it was even on the site of the school so it was also a memorial and apparently still being well used by the local community right up until the local council began to dismantle it. Cutbacks and lack of money to maintain and and modernise the equipment was blamed for the closure (as usual). I remember the disaster well and like a lot of places my school had a collection to send money to help rebuild. It was probably the first disaster to be televised live and as such had a massive impact on the country - particularly because it was mainly children involved and so many of them. I don't think anybody really took the blame for it as slag heaps around mines were the norm at the time.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 9  Sat 15th Oct 2016 10:10am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4054

Hi all Wave Today, my thoughts are drawn to an event that next Friday will be fifty years on. Few tragedies have ever affected me in quite the same way as when a moving slurry tip, engulfed a school in Aberfan, Wales, where 116 children died, plus 28 adults, which included one newly qualified teacher. The lesson from that tragedy for me is learning how to deal in my own mind with tragedies, if I ever do. That awful day of such despair, the same site today, a memorial garden in the second picture, as though that somehow makes it all ok. It will never be ok, as child survivors still ask the same question today, why did they survive whilst their sister, brother, best friend didn't. A Friday morning, much like any other in Wales, where a few days of continuous rain had undermined the slurry mounds piled high. The school had sung their morning assembly hymn & had just started their lessons. They didn't get to dinner time that day, or the afternoon of delight for the start of their half term holiday. There were no children playing for months after, as parents could not cope with the sights & sounds of happy children, haunted by their own thoughts, no matter whether they had suffered a loss or not. They could not cope with their child playing & feeling the sorrow of their neighbour whose child was no longer alive to play.
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
6 of 9  Sat 15th Oct 2016 11:57am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:370

If memory serves me correct, isn't the Memorial Garden named after Coventry as the good folk of Cov donated money to establish it?

Question

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 9  Sat 15th Oct 2016 1:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

Is this what you were thinking of? Wave
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 9  Sun 16th Oct 2016 11:01am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

On 15th Oct 2016 1:28pm, Midland Red said: Is this what you were thinking of? Wave
As one of our members cannot open the link, here is a transcription of the Telegraph article dated 8 Nov 2012: A HOUSING estate being built over the memorial playground for victims of the Aberfan Disaster will be renamed Coventry Gardens. The move by Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council followed news it was bulldozing the former Coventry Memorial Playground in south Wales. The playground was paid for with cash donated by Coventrians horrified when 116 children and 28 adults were killed by a slagheap which slipped down a mountainside in 1966. It crushed 20 homes and the local junior school in Aberfan. Eleven bungalows are being built on the site, despite 8,000 local residents signing a petition demanding the memorial be kept. It comes a month after the 46th anniversary of the Aberfan tragedy. Coventry councillor Steven Thomas – who grew up in south Wales - said: “I’m delighted that the generosity of the people of Coventry will continue to be recognised. “Although the playground has outlived its natural life and local people’s need for housing is now greater, future generations will know how Coventrians responded to the tragedy and will be reminded why these houses bear the name of our city.” After the Aberfan Disaster a huge fundraising campaign was held in Coventry, collecting £4,000, which is estimated at being the equivalent of about £60,000 today. Eight years ago the memorial playground was saved from another development plan when a campaign backed by the Coventry Telegraph forced a change of heart.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 9  Fri 21st Oct 2016 9:58am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4054

In the news today - Aberfan Tragedy.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

Page 1 of 1