Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red

All posts by this member
1 of 5  Fri 19th Jul 2013 10:17am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4153

Henry VI Thumbs up "Coventry started out as a Bronze Age settlement in the centre of what is the bowl shape of the city. This environment which included at the time, lakes and large rivers, mild weather and surrounding forest provided the conditions for human habitation. There was plenty of food and water along with materials to build shelter. Coventry predates its neighbouring cities of Birmingham and Leicester. It is widely agreed by historians that the first significant settlement grew around a Saxon nunnery Circa 700 AD by St Osburga. Coventry's name is thought to have originated from a Saxon called Cofa. This character marked his boundary with a tree and so the name Cofantreo emerged. Over time this spelling evolved into cofastree , Coventria, Coventrev, Covintry and eventually Coventry. Coventry was granted a royal "Charter of Incorporation" in 1345 by King Edward III which was the first municipal charter of its kind in England. Coventry was now a City. Coventry became the fourth largest and best defended city in England and was only surpassed in size and wealth by York, Bristol and London. In 1451 Coventry was granted County status by King Henry VI in gratitude for offering him safety from an uprising by the men of Kent. "The County of the City of Coventry" would carry this status until 1842. Coventry then returned to the County of Warwickshire. Due to mental illness suffered by King Henry VI, his wife Queen Margaret effectively took charge and moved the Royal Court to Coventry. She felt that the heavily protected city with its town wall and fortifications was the safest place to be. Coventry was now the seat of power and effectively, the Capital City of England. This was to last until 1461."
The King that moved to Coventry
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Fri 26th Jul 2013 9:24pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:215

Henry IV also spent a lot of time in Coventry, and legend has it that the young Prince Hal was punished for being drunk in the abbey. Shakespeare has Prince Hal meeting Falstaff on the road to Coventry, bluff Sir John being born here. I wrote a history of Coventry some years ago it's here : History of Coventry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Sat 27th Jul 2013 2:53am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2854

Thanks for the above Disorganised1 I have printed those pages off for my daughter as I know she will be most interested. I was rather amused by the "shamrock in his turban" remark. Wave
gangan
Stockton, Southam
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Mon 29th Jul 2013 9:22am  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:126

Many thanks Disorganised1 for your very interesting article. I was particularly taken by your note that "After WW2 over 350 buildings remained dated prior to 1700. Today there are 34". Says it all really about the Muppets in the planning offices doesn't it?
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Mon 29th Jul 2013 12:21pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:215

You're welcome. Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry stained glass and the Icelandic connection
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Wargames Club
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 211ms)