94 posts:
Order:    

Broadside6
Cropredy
All posts by this member
1 of 94  Wed 24th Jul 2013 1:38pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:12

On 30th Aug 2012 9:12pm, dutchman said:
On 30th Aug 2012 8:58pm, Foxcote said: My husband remembers a garage in Gosford Street. it was approximately opposite Astleys and was a Reliant dealer and it was his first car in about 1964/5 (you can tell that I didn't marry him for his money) Smile
Light Cars Ltd, part of Bob Aston's empire, actually in Far Gosford Street and built on the site of war-destroyed houses: Pictures of Coventry The only garage I know of in Gosford Street itself was the Alpha motor works.
Hi, Light Cars Ltd was part of Astons of Coventry owned by William (Bill) Aston and his brothers John, Charlie and Harry. Bill was the main man. He had branches in Lower Ford St on both sides and on the corner of Vecqueray St and at Spon End. New and used cars, motor cycles, three wheelers,and commercial vehicle sales and repairs were run from these sites, prior to Bill spotting the opportunities in property development and rental both in Coventry and further away. A true entrepreneur with great vision.
paul norman

Aston's Garages and Light Cars
Broadside6
Cropredy
All posts by this member
2 of 94  Wed 24th Jul 2013 1:38pm  

Light Cars Ltd was part of Astons of Coventry owned by William (Bill) Aston and his brothers John, Charlie and Harry. Bill was the main man. He had branches in Lower Ford St on both sides and on the corner of Vecqueray St and at Spon End. New and used cars, motor cycles, three wheelers,and commercial vehicle sales and repairs were run from these sites, prior to Bill spotting the opportunities in property development and rental both in Coventry and further away. A true entrepreneur with great vision.
paul norman

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 94  Wed 24th Jul 2013 2:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4412

Wasn't he connected with High House Tennis Club on Warwick Road, opposite KHVIII?
Broadside6
Cropredy
All posts by this member
4 of 94  Wed 24th Jul 2013 2:44pm  

Yes, Bill was an active member and a top local player. I lived above the clubhouse in one of his flats, and spent a lot of time watching the club and individual matches played there, also time spent weeding, grading and rolling the courts prior to the matches.
paul norman

Broadside6
Cropredy
All posts by this member
5 of 94  Wed 24th Jul 2013 2:44pm  

Yes, Bill was an active member and a top local player. I lived above the clubhouse in one of his flats, and spent a lot of time watching the club and individual matches played there, also time spent weeding, grading and rolling the courts prior to the matches.
paul norman

Astons Garages
Hinckley
All posts by this member
6 of 94  Mon 5th Aug 2013 5:54pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:77

Astons Garage operated from Gosford Street, Spon End and Lower Ford Street Run by the Aston Brothers known for Austins, Reliants, BSA and secondhand cars Bill Aston well known for buying a Batomobile and FAB1 and 1FAB now owned by Chris Evans (Please help Chris Evans' charity event driving a pink Rolls Royce around the country with FAB1 on it) Astons were associated with Astons Coaches at Marton In due course I will start posting photos and stories but in the meantime let's have your memories
David Aston Historian of Astons Garages and Light Cars Coventry

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
7 of 94  Mon 5th Aug 2013 8:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3052

Hi David Wave Aston's was more Far Gosford Street than Gosford Street. They did once apply for permission for a permanent building in Gosford Street but were refused as the area was shortly to be redeveloped. This is the Light Car division at Nos 4-7 Far Gosford Street next to Bednell's TV shop: Pictures of Coventry
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
8 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 2:48pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:364

I remember going past Aston's regularly on the number 1 bus from KHVIII to Clay Lane. Circa 1972 Aston's had a Triumph Hurricane motorcycle mounted on an upstairs gantry that was a joy to behold through the smoke filled upper deck of Coventry Transport's finest! I loved that motorbike, but it was a mere dream for a 16 year old penniless schoolboy. These days the Triumph Hurricane can command a second-hand price of up to £23,000!!! Not a bad investment! Oh my
Astons Garages
Hinckley
All posts by this member
9 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 5:04pm  

Here you are, not Triumphs but some interesting BSAs These photos Copyright of Aston Family, please feel free to print them

Astons Garages
Hinckley
All posts by this member
10 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 5:11pm  

Gosford Street showroom. Anyone buy a car from here?

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
11 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 7:24pm  

That's actually the corner of Vecqueray Street and Far Gosford Street in the early 1960s. Smile I used to pass it every day on the way to and from school but it looks very different from how I remember it.
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
12 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 7:25pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:364

Curiously enough the Triumph Hurricane was actually a BSA Rocket-3 engined machine, but badged as a Triumph as the Triumph name had far more kudos in the States which was the main market place. Big grin
colcov
leamington spa
All posts by this member
13 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 9:56pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:69

On 6th Aug 2013 5:11pm, Astons Garages said: Gosford Street showroom Anyone buy a car from here?
This showroom was built on bomb damaged ground about 1948 by the four Aston brothers themselves without planning permission for which they were fined £50. This made the national papers and Harry Aston told me that they had donations from all over the country which paid their fine over and over again.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
14 of 94  Tue 6th Aug 2013 10:13pm  

Cheers Colin Cheers I'm curious that they used the sun ray motif so prominently as it was more typical of a pre-war design. Did they perhaps recycle the glass from another building?
colcov
leamington spa
All posts by this member
15 of 94  Wed 7th Aug 2013 9:04am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:69

Morning dutchman, yes I think it would be recycled glass as nearly all the building material was. I can remember them building it, give them credit they worked very hard at it.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 94 posts

Page 1 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Photographing Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Old blacksmith, Tile Hill Village
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 107ms)