No actionNo action
162 posts:
Order:    

Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
151 of 162  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 9:06pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:391

In answer to your question, I am not going to the site. I was only made aware of it by my antivirus (which I am now giving more credibility to) ESET NOD32 Antivirus. When I click on a link within HCR, the alert pops up, asking me if I want to allow or block. As I have previously mentioned, I shall be blocking. Talking of antivirus, I know Kaspersky is inadequate/vulnerable, and I reckon the same can be said for many others. I googled the statts site to find out more of what it was about. On the face of it, it would appear to be a statistic site. But I don't believe any of it. Crooks and hackers masquerade in any form that they think will deceive us. Please don't think me as stupid as I probably am. Blush
Information - Computer hacking, malware and viruses
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
152 of 162  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 9:12pm  

To continue or add to this hacking theme, I am still getting those emoticons where the scroll bar should be. At the top of the scroll bar, the emoticon appears until I 'wipe' the cursor over it. I reckon someone has dropped a piece of rubbish on my machine to try and obfuscate the system, and then hoping to make headway by stealth until they can gain control. You may think me a little paranoid, but the evidence is there, stupid emoticons where there should be none.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
153 of 162  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 9:42pm  

Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
154 of 162  Sun 23rd Apr 2017 9:52pm  

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
155 of 162  Mon 24th Apr 2017 7:33am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1124

Hi Heathite, If other members report that they get similar "corruptions" when using the forum, but never on other sites, then I'll be rather worried, as I have no idea how this could possibly happen. However, I could be wrong, but this sort of graphical anomaly could, as my description implies, be a graphical problem. Is it worthwhile looking into whether or not your graphic card drivers are up to date, or even have any known problem? I'm only clutching at straws, but anything can be possible with computers! Do you have any alternative devices on which to view the forum, like laptop, phone or tablet - and if so, does the same thing happen on any of those?
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
156 of 162  Mon 24th Apr 2017 7:54am  

Hi Rob. I think it must be just me and not your site. Maybe my laptop is just too old now, it's about 5 years plus - old. A Sony Vaio. As you mention the graphic drivers, I haven't updated them for some time. last time I did I got a blank screen when it finished installing the driver. I had to press the power button to get a screen back. Maybe the machine is too old to accept the new (NVIDIA) drivers. And anyway the new updates for the NVIDIA driver appear to be related to new sophisticated gaming requirements not basic display. Not sure about that because some basic security stuff could be included. Also the error appears on other sites not just yours. As you probably saw, I tried with adblocker on and off, and still getting corruption. I think I might try the driver update, you never know. Thanks for your time.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
157 of 162  Mon 24th Apr 2017 8:28am  

Hi Rob, I tried updating the NVIDIA driver and so far it is a success. No corruption on the scroll bar. So thank you for your help and advice. Here's to another 5 years with my wonderful Vaio Happy
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
158 of 162  Mon 24th Apr 2017 5:48pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1124

That's fantastic news Heathite, you've cheered me up! Thank you so much for letting us know - maybe it will help others, too. Cheers
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
159 of 162  Mon 24th Apr 2017 5:54pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
160 of 162  Mon 24th Apr 2017 6:47pm  

Hi Rob. I'm sure many would agree that it's us that should be thanking you Rob. Your very interesting forum has helped many. I should have answered your other question about trying a different machine or tablet. I do have a smart phone and it hasn't shown the errors that I get with the laptop. I get different errors with the phone (email dysfunction for one) and I don't have wifi or bluetooth or data connected at the same time. But that is nothing to do with your site. I know that when I'm next to the laptop and having either wifi or data signal connected, I always got interference. So now I don't fall for that anymore. It beats me how others in my family don't seem to get the problem. They have wifi, data, bluetooth, twitter, facebook all running and seem to get away with it. When I said interference I meant that my mail wouldn't refresh, and I had to delete the account and reinstall to solve it. I have also noticed that with the latest android update, they have made it compulsory to accept the accuweather application. I reckon this is a surreptitious method of maintaining a track on you even if you have your location disabled and aren't interested in the weather. I tried disabling the location function within accuweather and you can't. Why would the developers think it so necessary to keep the location tracker active for a weather application if we choose not to want to use it? Well they've removed that choice in my experience. It's obvious that their desire to track us outweighs our right of choice. I hope I'm not going off track, but all these issues are about being hacked. A bit more about graphics drivers. As I said before, I didn't update the NVIDIA drivers because it left me with a blank screen every time I booted up. So I did a roll back and left it at that. Today when I updated the drivers I also tried re-installing NVIDIA's GEFORCE utility that is supposed to keep your drivers up to date automatically. It told me I had to install Java. So I started the process, when I clicked the download button, an alert came up from Firefox telling me that they no longer support Java. So I tried doing it with Google Chrome, same alert. So it would appear that Java is no longer supported, probably because it has a million ways of being able to hack. Heathite
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
161 of 162  Fri 28th Apr 2017 8:30pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:997

Here's a link to stop sites tracking your moves around the internet. The site is one I visit on a daily basis so it is safe. Stop tracking. There are different how-tos for the main internet browsers.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
162 of 162  Fri 28th Apr 2017 9:45pm  

Thanks for that. I've done it for Google and Firefox on the laptop. What I'd really like is a fix for the android system on a smartphone. Apparently you have to root your phone first and then install software to do the necessary. Rooting your phone voids the warranty, so not for the faint-hearted.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 162 of 162 posts

Page 11 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Old Coventry firms
|

Next (newer) topic

Thomas Ward
You are viewing topics in the Information category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 92ms)