Member: Joined Nov 2013  Total posts:359

Princess Margarets visit to Coventry and to Tile Hill June 1957 film
Coventry Suburbs and Beyond - Tile Hill
skyblue1
allesley village
All posts by this member
17 of 24  Sat 4th Oct 2014 7:36am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:4

My grandad and nan used to live in Torrington Ave in the fifties up to the seventies, we used to play in the fields opposite, which all the way up to the railway line, not a building or industrial estate in sight, lost my Davy Crockett gun somewhere in those fields lol, very happy days. Big grin
Chris jardine

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
18 of 24  Sat 4th Oct 2014 9:55am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:997

Hi skyblue, just trying to imagine which part of Torrington Avenue you mean. I believe you must mean on part of the Tile Hill South estate. As I'm a Canley kid we used to come under the bridge in Wolfe Road up to Torrington Ave. I remember that for a short period our playground were the footings of the houses before what was to become Gravel Hill Road. A bit later on my dad used to deliver bread in the area in a little electric van from the Co-op bakery just past the roundabout at Templar Avenue. To my recollection there was a petrol station around the bottom of Gravel Hill Road with a small shop sellings sweets - and paraffin heaters. My dad did a stint there too - but delivering paraffin (Aladdin Pink) in the Tile Hill and Canley areas. Then I seem to remember a tyre warehouse being built - I think it started as Goodyear tyres.
Bibbles
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
19 of 24  Fri 29th Apr 2016 10:00am  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:3

I came across this old house again recently which is situated in the fairly, recently developed Bluebell Walk, off Tile Hill Lane. I remember that the licencee of the Woodlands Public House resided there in the 1970-80s. I wonder if anyone could throw some light on it for me or maybe some one had a photograph of it that they may share. From my research I see that the Coventry City Council has noted it as a building of interest and dated it 1921-24. However, it is listed in the 1919/20 street directory as Wood Farm (unless I have the name of this wrong and that Wood Farm existed further down Tile Hill Lane). Having looked into the history of the house that I think is called Wood Farm I see it was owned by Herbert John Wright, the son of John and Sarah (Pearson) Wright of Hearsall Farm and Herbert worked on his Fathers farm until his mid 20s. John Wright had previously farmed at Tanyard Farm and before that Berkswell where his children were born. Herbert John Wright died at Fen End Farm, Kenilworth in 1966. The house looks like a typical farmhouse but has this crenelated building attached to it which I think is unusual.
Beverley Wishart

mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
20 of 24  Fri 29th Apr 2016 1:04pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:345

This is the Bing birds eye view.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
21 of 24  Thu 12th May 2016 3:41pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:997

The house in Bluebell Walk From what I have heard the crennelated part of from an old pump-house.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
22 of 24  Thu 12th May 2016 4:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3022

The style is very similar to the Spon End waterworks manager's house.
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
23 of 24  Sat 18th Nov 2017 5:29pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:345

An interesting view of the roundabout at the Tile Hill Lane junction with the A45 in about 1958, courtesy of the Gone But Not Forgotten website In the 60 years since, the complexity of the junction has grown so much that it now needs over 60 sets of traffic lights and the A45 is now 12 lanes wide at this point plus another five lanes for the unfortunate traffic from Tile Hill Lane that wishes to travel south on the A45.
Seabreeze
Wiltshire
All posts by this member
24 of 24  Wed 17th Jan 2018 11:48am  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:4

Toogoods worked around Tile Hill, Allesley, Coundon, Canley areas. Working very long hours, especially Christmas time. He did not have a mobile chip van.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 24 of 24 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Foleshill
|

Next (newer) topic

Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)
You are viewing topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 61ms)