Next pageLast page
197 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
166 of 197  Thu 18th Aug 2016 8:07am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4340

Excellent Cheers And how was Cheshire? Oh my Did you venture into Chatwin's Big grin in Crewe for cake by any chance?
Rambling, further afield from Coventry
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
167 of 197  Thu 18th Aug 2016 4:42pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3823

Hi M.R. Hi all Wave Simple answer no. It was a whistle stop tour where I went on to visit the Old Springfield brewery in Wolverhampton.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
168 of 197  Thu 18th Aug 2016 5:41pm  

On 17th Aug 2016 7:30am, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi & morning all, Wave I am up with the lark this morning & about to disappear into the wilds of Cheshire.
Did you get lost again, then? Remember Warwick? Roll eyes Atherstone, Wolverhampton - not in the wilds of Cheshire! Wink Thumbs up I'm only jealous, remembering our days out of the past Sad
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
169 of 197  Thu 18th Aug 2016 6:29pm  

Hi M.R, Wave I did travel via Crewe & spent all of twenty minutes there, waiting for my train to Wolverhampton.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
170 of 197  Fri 19th Aug 2016 3:04pm  

Lovely colours in the trees, brought alive by this week's sunshine Smile St Edburg's, Bicester
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
171 of 197  Fri 19th Aug 2016 6:58pm  

Hi all Wave Today, being a very wet day, did not put me off my out & about ventures. I selected what I call dry routes, which paid off as I did not get a soaking at any point, in fact I kept mostly very dry. I was out from 9am, only coming home at 5pm. I will share a few pictures of the Shakespeare line as it is called which stretches from Spring Road to Stratford via Henley in Arden. These pics, recorded on my ancient cam-phone I hope give something of the delight that I felt, sat eating my piece, even though it was raining heavy. The station, Shirley, partly maintained by a team of volunteers looks just as though we were viewing in the fifties, except for the bright red colour. The canopies did not leak as can be seen, the platforms dry, in spite of very heavy rain. I say bright red colour with tongue in cheek, because this line was operated jointly, the Midland & GWR who shared the line for many years. Warwickshire railways web-site history notes. Last of all, a picture from that fabulous railway web-site, of Grange class loco at the head of an express charging through Shirley.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
172 of 197  Tue 23rd Aug 2016 4:22pm  

Hi all Wave Continuing my thread of visiting stations along the Shakespeare line, Hall Green was my choice this morning. Hall Green has special memories for me of happy times with extended family who live there. Some times we don't realise how good times have been. Final picture from sixty years ago, of a the equivalent of my train today, a stopper! The picture from the fabulous Warwickshire Railways web-site.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
173 of 197  Wed 24th Aug 2016 4:08am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2861

How nice Philip, glad you enjoyed your day - and the memories it brought you. It's a good job you are not 'into' planes, goodness knows where you would turn up. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
174 of 197  Fri 26th Aug 2016 7:34pm  

Hi all Wave An errand to Birmingham on Thursday morning, a rainy, misty day until later in the afternoon, I had a couple of free hours in the middle of the day, so I popped to Dorridge again to record some pictures. A friend on You-Tube is considering modelling Dorridge & asked me for some pictures of the area. Dorridge is an interesting subject to model as it has so may typical railway features. The above picture shows a Chilterns three coach train to Leamington, which is held in the up loop. The reason being shown above as a Cross-country express to the south coast passes it at speed. Dorridge has two relief down lines that pass to the right of the platform in the next picture, which is facing in the opposite direction. They can both be seen in both of the above pictures, the one nearest to the platform also behaves as a holding siding for the frequent shuttle service that operates through Birmingham Moor Street. If I was considering a fresh start on a new model, Dorridge would be quite high on my list of preferences. It offers so much operating interest for as well as frequent passenger trains, freight trains are seen thundering through the station. So much so that this freight caught me out, being almost on top of me before I could get my cam-phone out I have always enjoyed watching railway operations, which are an expression of logic, as well as critical path technology, CTP as it was one time known.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
175 of 197  Thu 15th Sep 2016 5:41pm  

Hi all Wave My out & about today took me to Galton Bridge for a photo take as well as delivering a parcel to a friend in Shirley. I have not forgotten our fish & chip time, Midland Red, at Dorridge, but I have to tell you how nice the fish & chips are from Shirley. Yum & yum. My picture of where the suspension bridge over the canal joins the brick arch over the West coast mainline. The next two pictures are views from where I sat munching a small portion of Cod & Chips from Shirley I do realise that these are not everyone's idea of idyllic views & relaxing, but this is so much of my comfort zone. I even changed trains at B'ham international so that I arrived at Coventry station at a time to coincide with my memories of leaving school in an afternoon. What a sad case I hear so many of you say. I saw Flying Scotsman loco in Tyseley yard but not well enough to record a picture, as I went by on a train from Shirley.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
176 of 197  Thu 15th Sep 2016 6:26pm  

The views look good to me Cheers
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
177 of 197  Fri 16th Sep 2016 1:47am  

They do look good, and understandable for an enthusiastic train hopper ! Big grin
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
178 of 197  Mon 19th Sep 2016 11:06pm  

Hi all Wave I had some lovely company today during my bit of volunteering. A four year old & his granddad enjoyed a trip to Stourbridge. A change of circumstances meant that I had a lot of free time today, so what a delight to see the delight enjoyed by this couple. I will post a couple of pictures. I knew today was going to be a good day, as when we boarded the No 9a to the railway station, there sat on the bus was a favourite forum friend. It doesn't get any better than that.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
179 of 197  Tue 20th Sep 2016 3:59am  

Lovely Philip, I hope that little boy remembers his day out with his Grandpa as well. Wave Maybe if his Grandpa was a forum member they could see themselves. Happy
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
180 of 197  Fri 24th Mar 2017 2:48pm  

Following my visit to the city last week, on my way home I stopped off in Stoneleigh - amazingly, having lived for some years a couple of miles up the road in Finham, I am certain that I have never set foot in the village before Oh my What a delightful place it is, and in the very short time I spent there I felt I'd been transported back a couple of hundred years I didn't get all around the village or down to the river - but I aim to do so when next in the area Here's a selection of photos I hurriedly took - enjoy Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 166 to 180 of 197 posts

Page 12 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Good news stories
|

Next (newer) topic

The view from my window
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 65ms)