Wearethemods
196 of 269  Wed 19th Jul 2017 8:25am  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
197 of 269  Sun 1st Oct 2017 9:33am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4078

Morning all Wave I hadn't a clue as to where I was going yesterday morning, when a neighbour asked me when walking past me in our cul-de-sac. Even after devouring my coffee at Conroy's, I still didn't know where I was going after. The first bus coming along Corporation St. was going to the railway station. Upon arrival there, the first train was going to B'ham. A tram was waiting to depart from New St., so before I knew where I was going, I was well underway, even though I still hadn't a clue as to where it was. I got off the tram at Jewellery Quarter, where the first train was going to Worcester. After paying the bolt-on return fare, the next thing I am at Kidderminster. I was intrigued when seeing this in an inspection saloon, so I went along to inspect. After learning that it was all being prepared for a wedding reception, I stopped recording pictures. Just as well when I saw the pig roast being loaded into the open restaurant car. The food in the inspection saloon was just for guests who had travelled some distance for the wedding. What a wonderful way to celebrate a wedding. So, from not knowing where I was going, I was more than content to treat myself to the Severn Valley pack mini-lunch, which included a glass of house red. It was lovely. I was meeting members of my own family later in the day, so I returned via B'ham international where I boarded the X1 to the Elms pub. What was so brill was that including my bolt on fare & my SVR lunch pack, my days outing had cost me the grand sum £6.20. Whack that! Have a nice day, all. Cheers
Non-Coventry - Rambling, farther afield from Coventry
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
198 of 269  Mon 2nd Oct 2017 6:58pm  

Hi all Wave Anyone interested in engineering architecture might like this. Iron Bridge Remedial Works
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
199 of 269  Sat 4th Aug 2018 9:50pm  

Evening all Wave A Story ******** One day last week, (I wanted to say once upon a time), I boarded an Arriva Wales train at B'ham International. Very comfy. At the point of boarding, my idea was to go to Smethwick & then to change trains & on to Kidderminster. After leaving B'ham New St, my ticket (bus-pass) was inspected, which was fine. I asked the conductor how much to carry on to say Wrexham. With my railcard, he told me "£12.40", because I only had to pay extra from Wolverhampton. "Yes please" my reply. I had a lovely time there, the train that I came back on like all the others bang on time. I decided to break my return journey at Shrewsbury, where I had a bite of tea, after getting care home clearance for a late evening return home. I didn't want to get on the wrong side of matron. Anyway, including the Ninky Nonk to the Ricoh, I was home for 8pm, a friend who had been shopping, gave me a lift up from the Ricoh to home. What a fabulous value trip. Now, if I carry on telling you where I have been today, that will need another topic, because today has been a bus day into Leicestershire. I do hope you like that. Big grin Thumbs up ps. Thank you, M.R. Brill!
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
200 of 269  Fri 10th Aug 2018 3:21pm  

Good afternoon all Wave Fridays having been invented for fish & chips, my search for perfection has taken me to Shirley (on the Shakespeare line) where Shirley Station Fish Bar is a delight. Certainly the best tried so far anywhere. A small cod & chips for £4, in a takeaway tray, which I devoured under the station canopy. If the weather had been too poor for outdoor fish & chips, the café next door is excellent, where I enjoyed a chicken curry earlier in the week. You will be pleased to know that the return journey only took six trains, two trams plus three buses. Big grin The forum team stop at nothing for perfection. Oh my Roll eyes
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
201 of 269  Fri 10th Aug 2018 4:18pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:30

Oh the joys of local travel! I lived in Australia for 13 years, before returning to these shores, and the return journey for holidays used less forms of transport. It did, however, take just a tad longer I suspect! Cheers
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
202 of 269  Sat 11th Aug 2018 11:21pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:564

Philip. I love your cogitations and appreciate your love and usage of buses and trains. Unfortunately I`m what some call a "petrolhead". I am wedded to my cars, still at my age get a kick out of driving, don`t have a bus or rail pass. I wouldn`t think of doing a long journey in a train, or a local one in a bus, mind you in the sticks round here we only have 2 buses a day. I have used it once in 11 years, but other than that have never really used buses regularly since the 7 Allesley or 10 Brownshill Green to get to school (plus a few other Coventry internal services, 2 Radford, 1 Chapelfields). Holidays when young was generally coach to Devon. Midland Red to Cheltenham (and connecting services) and the Royal Blue express service to Devon (lunch stop Weston super Mare). Always liked the local Western Nationals and the double deck Western Generals when we got to Devon (top deck had a footway in a well at the off side and the seats were in one row). Train journeys to join ship in Liverpool, often Sunday evening steam train, Coventry to Birmingham New St, New Street to Rugby, Rugby to Liverpool Lime Street. Unfortunately that was an awful journey, trains late, dirty, often standing, put me off trains forever, although I have done a nostalgic journey on the Watercress Line and loved it. Cheers Oh I forgot, nearly always had a car and caravan.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
203 of 269  Mon 13th Aug 2018 7:07pm  

OK. I know the heading is "Rambling", but I hope no body minds if I put a "B" in front of the "R" and make it Brambling (Scottish), better known as blackberrying in England. As a young lad evacuated in the country and then as a youth later on when I returned to Coventry, as well as gathering rose hips and taking them to school for the war effort, we used to go around all the hedgerows and gather "blackies" both for pies and puddings, but also selected "beauties" to eat from a dish with milk only in early days, but with some sugar and cream or evaporated milk latterly. The reason this all came to mind is I still gather brambles to make jam which I send to the Air Ambulance shop for them to sell for funds (I`m known as Jammy Roger there). I gathered 12lbs the other week and 10lbs the Saturday before last, some I jam straight away and the rest I put in the deep freeze. The brambles have been plentiful and clean at their blunt end when picked this year and quite sweet, so I have not missed out on my old custom, one whole 1.5lb punnet all for myself, a big tin of evaporated milk and of course a bit of sugar, it did 5 servings (and I didn`t get sick). During all my brambling expeditions, and they are quite a few in different places, I have never met anybody else doing the same as me - seriously, does nobody do it any more, I regard it as nature`s bounty, there for free. I gather apples as well sometimes to put with the brambles, but other times I put some ginger in with the apples. The apples are free too! Poor plum and damson crop this year and I am going to be struggling. So I would be interested to know if I`m the last of a dying breed - can`t afford to let the birds have all the pleasure! Cheers
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
204 of 269  Tue 14th Aug 2018 4:12am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3160

To think I only came on here to do some banking and now have been transformed to Allesley Fields via the stile at the back of Allesley Church. Spent many an hour at weekends with my two little un's and bragging as to who could find the biggest blackberry only to see it gobbled up before ever reaching home. Not many did but enough for a apple and blackberry pie. There they were black lips and fingers and not in front of the TV. I believe brambles are considered an obnoxious weed in parts downunder, but I do see the plants for sale in the nurseries or at a cost the berries in small punnets for sale in supermarkets at certain times of the year (maybe hydroponic). Are there any more addicts to HC on here at this time of the day????? Wave
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
205 of 269  Tue 14th Aug 2018 9:10pm  

Oh well, Dreamtime, seems this is me and you - no other takers - is this the death of another good old British tradition? I daren`t ask about PYO (pick your own) but after we got married (and went to live in Scotland) we always went out as a family picking strawberries, raspberries and sometimes goosegogs, both for jam and the pot, we also never neglected to pick up the odd wild mushrooms if we came across them. Funny you should say Allesley. I know exactly where you are talking about, although we didn`t go brambling there, but a walk across the fields at Harvest Hill towards the water tower at Meriden. We did regularly walk down Staircase Lane and onwards towards the Nugget. Seem to remember there was a nice muddy pond at the lowest point of Staircase Lane on the left going down. Plenty of "specimens", water boatmen and tadpoles in season. I`ve never been to Australia so I`ve no idea if your youngsters have that sort of environment to explore?
Gilly
Melbourne Australia
All posts by this member
206 of 269  Wed 15th Aug 2018 12:26am  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:158

Hi Dreamtime and Roger, Les and I pick blackberries each year to make jam and blackberry and apple pie but it's hard to find an area that the council haven't sprayed because as you say they are a noxious weed. We only pick the ones that are above waist height!! Our little hidden pocket that we have been going to for years is now being built on so we'll have to search elsewhere next year. If not then I guess we'll have to do as everyone else does and go to the supermarket. Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
207 of 269  Wed 15th Aug 2018 2:37am  

Gilly, that is so sad to hear and to think my granddaughters (two) have never had the delightful experience of blackberry picking. I think it's a case of where you live. 'Times they are a'changing'. However, good luck with the brambling in the future. Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
208 of 269  Wed 15th Aug 2018 2:58am  

On 14th Aug 2018 9:10pm, Roger Turner said: Oh well, Dreamtime, seems this is me and you - no other takers - is this the death of another good old British tradition? I`ve never been to Australia so I`ve no idea if your youngsters have that sort of environment to explore?
Roger, no youngsters now, not likely to either, my two granddaughters are adults now and wouldn't dream of spoiling their fancy nails by picking blackberries. As for goosegogs, we had them on an empty allotment next to ours on Sherbourne Fields, also a Russet apple tree. As for the mushed, I have to buy those every week without fail. Must be my favourite food, (the button ones raw) . I don't think I could trust the wild ones, they look a bit 'sus' but have to say the field mushed are the best, don't you think? We lived in Lincroft Cres. so we never had far to walk for our gastronomic delights.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
209 of 269  Wed 15th Aug 2018 10:25am  

Hi Dreamtime. I meant youngsters in the widest sense, but just thinking of my two daughters and grandchildren, since they married I am not aware that they have continued to be devoted to PYO in any form, nor their two children, although they have both had dogs and taken them on rambling walks. Perhaps there is a reason in that times have changed since my youth and this is the age of the supermarket, the deep freezer, the social web as a compelling attraction, and women go out to work as an economic necessity and as a matter of course, so there are not the opportunities for home providing and people cook less from fresh anyway. On a lighter note, my aunt Elsie and uncle Fred Tomlinson lived at 112, Lincroft Crescent, was that anywhere near you? In fact they lived in my grandfather and grandmother's house, Roger and Charlotte Fanshaw. I think those allotments were immediately behind Lincroft Crescent, is that right?
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
210 of 269  Wed 15th Aug 2018 1:31pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2376

Roger, I just love this outdoor stuff you have 'brought up'. Thinking about it I don't think I ever missed a year throughout my life that I didn't go blackberrying except for three years (army) - that's some record. As a kid, the joy of borrowing granddad's walking stick to get the highest berries, face, hands and knees and shirt covered in stains. The thorns we pulled out with our teeth and spat out, and laughed, and skipped from bush to bush, the juiciest berries near the ground. Brer Rabbit had nothing on us. Even last year someone took me to our plot and I was able to pick. It was wonderful to hear you say you still give them as charity as that was what it was when I was a kid, we gave them to all the old ladies - the berries or jam - or people not fortunate to get out. It was village life, and 'OH' Harvest Festival, not only fruit and vegetables etc, but corn dollies of all shapes and sizes - things I can't remember names to. Flowery meads, the scents and air of the countryside a sense of delight, it tracked back to ordinary folk that worked the earth and our true heritage.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 210 of 269 posts

Page 14 of 18

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 ... 14 15 16 17 18
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

You know when you've got old
|

Next (newer) topic

You are at the most recent topic