No actionNo action
282 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
271 of 282  Fri 9th Nov 2018 5:47pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3202

NormK 1920/30 time, enamel paint, used to get more on me than on the bike. There must be a story on how it got there? Brill, thank you.
Rambling, farther afield from Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
272 of 282  Fri 9th Nov 2018 6:04pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5470

You can purchase one on on Amazon from the USA Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
273 of 282  Sun 23rd Dec 2018 2:53pm  

The physical and spiritual benefits of a long walk are almost incalculable and inspirational, the idea of walking through the leafy lanes and beauties of the countryside was irresistibly appealing. I had read the books of Belloc and Potter doing this walk, which put the idea into my head. I caught a train to Robertsbridge on the borders of Kent and Sussex. I chose to do it in Autumn as they had. As I walked up the steps of the George Inn the village clock in the red-bricked tower struck eleven. The inglenook fireplace had been blocked up and formed the backdrop. I ordered a sweet sherry. But there was a recent oddity - the clock on the wall behind the bar, the numerals appeared as mirror image, and read anti-clockwise, and the hands moved in corresponding direction. On the wall was a framed photograph of Belloc and a notice telling of his visits. Half an hour later I walked away from the George, past more delightful old houses. Then past the entrance to the Nicholls factory that made the famous willow cricket bats. Across the valley the trees had not shed all their leaves, Salehurst Church stood atop the wooded hill. Across the river bridge and past the remains of an Abbey, it was not difficult to imagine the open countryside had changed little since their journey. At a fork in the road I took the left hand lane and walked on to Brightling with a large wood on my left. Late summer flowers still bloomed in the hedgerows as I walked uphill, an isolated forge and blacksmiths shop lay back from the road. Soon after, the sign of an inn, a life-size figure of Jack Fuller, one time squire of the parish, complete with top hat and umbrella. Outside there was still a stone-built horse mounting block. Here I had breakfast of home cured bacon and fresh laid eggs. Mad Jack Fuller, a Member of Parliament, built a pyramid in the churchyard for his burial - it was held he was interred, sitting at a table with meal and a bottle of claret, dressed for dinner, but the myth exploded by late-day prying, trampling on other people's dreams. Once out of the village a panoramic view opened out to the east across the valley of a river.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
274 of 282  Thu 11th Apr 2019 6:01pm  

To a young lad that knew the countryside, and loved the freedom of the fields and woods, this time of the year, April in Warwickshire, was a beautiful time. The wild fields full of yellow-white primroses, below the trees, the ground a blue haze covered in bluebells. The scent of olden days, of history - I wanted someone to share. I ran across meadows, I hurled over low bushes, ran with my voice full of song. I ran past the old pond, stagnant with duckweed, I burst through the tangy veil of scent, poured myself over the oak-railed fence. I cried out with joy. Hedges of dense hawthorn, where blackbirds and thrushes burst out with a shimmer of silvered wings and clucking alarm and dived back in again far ahead. I had achieved a reputation for being missing on shopping days, loved being left to my own devices, exploring the fields and woods. Those dreamy solo sorties, surging excitement of discovery. Mother would shout, "Now don't you go getting in to any trouble", but I would be out of the door and away before she could finish the sentence. I didn't know where I was going, it was just out and away and come what may. I sat on the swing that hung from the bough of an apple tree. Suddenly the fowl started to get alarmed. I kept quiet, spotted a willowy old stoat in the hedgerow - he dropped to the ground and did a weird dance. A hen watched, fascinated - he then leaped up and down, the hen and I were mesmerised. He then chased his tail round and round but each time getting closer to the hen. Ashe was about to pounce on the hen I shouted and ran towards him. He disappeared in a flash.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
275 of 282  Fri 12th Apr 2019 1:57pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3373

Oh dear, you have set me off again Kaga. Now where is that box of tissues. Wave
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
276 of 282  Fri 12th Apr 2019 4:47pm  

Oh dear, Dreamtime! Sorry about that.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
277 of 282  Thu 25th Apr 2019 4:54pm  

On Tuesday it was like a miracle day, the sun in a haze through the window. We walked (hobbled) down to the sea-front - the view still dazzles me, the sea like a sheet of glass, not a breath of wind, the seagulls ride the water, strangely silent, the sea and sky mingled, blended so you could not see were one ended and the other began. There was no movement from the water but at the same time it gently crept up and covered the pebbles on the beach, not disturbing them, not a murmur. It lifted up and covered the rocks, you wanted to throw a stone and cause a ripple, but a stronger urge told you to enjoy something very rare that was happening. The act of seeing can quickly become automatic, but this day made you really look, and a hush that made me feel something like peace. In the evening the news told us that dust from the Sahara had reached the southern part of the country.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
278 of 282  Mon 8th Jul 2019 11:42pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1118

It was an early start for me on Saturday as Steve and I had to be in Kenilworth before 7am to catch the light on the north face of the castle.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
279 of 282  Sat 13th Jul 2019 12:26am  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:227

Cycled to the Hatton lock cafe. Definitely a good hare day! Peter.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
280 of 282  Mon 5th Aug 2019 2:30pm  

This beautiful country of ours has always thrilled me - to walk the paths, the fields, has always been a pleasure. Even as a boy I had walked or cycled as far afield as the Chertsey river that joined the Oxford Canal, in stages, and the army had me marching through the downs around Folkestone and Dover, then through Wiltshire around the beautiful villages like Cerne Abbas etc. I have criss-crossed the south of this country of ours from the River Thames to the south coast and from Kent to Hampshire. I have never found any area that has not been pleasing, or a village that didn't have something of interest. In 2001 I set off along the Thames Pathway at Westminster, a tree-lined embankment - a level easy walk in stages, pubs with table and chairs alongside, twisting and turning, ring a bell for a ferry across that cost me a pound, through cemeteries, parks, leafy woods, fields, castles, often amusing, and always engaging. Unfortunately illness stopped me after covering about 90 miles of the app.160, but well worth the attempt.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
281 of 282  Tue 17th Sep 2019 5:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5470

Birmingham’s Centenary Square looks quite attractive now (when the sun’s out!) with the addition of a reflective pool in front of The Library of Birmingham. Not only can one “walk on water”, it appears one can lie down and go to sleep too! Thumbs up I’m heading back there again tomorrow, hoping for better weather than on Sunday
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
282 of 282  Wed 18th Sep 2019 9:39pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1714

I have considered visiting the library to look at the Aylesford collection of Coventry paintings. I have some rough copies of some of them but it would be nice to get clear copies. I'd be tempted to paddle if my feet were hot.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 271 to 282 of 282 posts

Page 19 of 19

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Cricket in Coventry (Courtaulds, etc.)
|

Next (newer) topic

8F ATC Squadron, Frederick Bird School