Next pageLast page
110 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
76 of 110  Fri 8th Jan 2016 8:27am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4827

Great to hear from you, John - you keep on enjoying it, you deserve to Thumbs up
Non-Coventry - Australia
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
77 of 110  Fri 8th Jan 2016 11:33am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:824

Fire
Just old and knackered

Non-Coventry - Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
78 of 110  Sat 9th Jan 2016 12:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1987

I remember looking for Hank Marvin's house, south of Perth, out in the bush, but not as far down as Yarloop, we didn't find it, 1980's.
Non-Coventry - Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
79 of 110  Sat 9th Jan 2016 12:30pm  

Johnnie Walker, one for you. Work in progress for foundations of Canberra in 1920
Non-Coventry - Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
80 of 110  Sat 9th Jan 2016 1:03pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2986

On 9th Jan 2016 12:03pm, Kaga simpson said: I remember looking for Hank Marvin's house, south of Perth, out in the bush, but not as far down as Yarloop, we didn't find it, 1980's.
Hardly anything left of Yarloop now Kaga, it has been almost destroyed by fire over the last couple of days. I think Hank Marvin's house is more near to Perth in the hills and he does still have a recording studio in the city. Edited by member, 9th Jan 2016 1:09 pm
Non-Coventry - Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
81 of 110  Fri 15th Jan 2016 12:32pm  

Several times I have travelled the length of Italy, Switzerland and France by train, but this little train from Cairns to Karunda beat them all for excitement, scenery and adventure. Beyond this range of mountains there was a second range, and between the two there was a large plateau that had English type meadows and English cattle, and you could buy cream teas and the like. Karunda was famous for its butterflies. But I have never read it in any guidebook.
Non-Coventry - Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
82 of 110  Fri 15th Jan 2016 3:06pm  

You will find it here Kaga, Australian Butterfly Sanctuary, Kuranda Cairns. Wave
Non-Coventry - Australia
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
83 of 110  Sat 23rd Jan 2016 11:52pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:612

Hi all, if you want to see a train try this If you look at the far train and join the two pics together, then reverse them and join the four pics together, you get an idea of how long the Indian-Pacific train from Perth to Sydney is. Half a mile long. Shame I cannot show a video. Back soon but when is the next breakfast meet up? Cheers
Non-Coventry - Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
84 of 110  Sat 6th Feb 2016 9:53am  

Dreamtime, You asked about an Aussie forage cap, yes, I know what they called them, but can't be answered on here, I know were it originated, and before the 2nd World War. There was also the Aussie ginger nuts, same time and place, not rude but long past its time, best forgotten. Regards, Kaga.
Non-Coventry - Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
85 of 110  Sat 6th Feb 2016 3:22pm  

You have dug up an old 'chestnut' Kaga, long fogotten now. Shushhhhhh ! Roll eyes
Non-Coventry - Australia
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
86 of 110  Mon 22nd Jan 2018 4:55am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:234

I wonder how many Forum members have a tale to tell about emigration? I have counted over twenty Forum members currently living in Australia, and I know of other Aussie Coventry kids that aren't on the Forum. Karan and I married in 1970 and lived in Great Haywood (Staffs) for two years. I had a great job, developing a computerised traffic forecasting model for the County Council. But after developing the model and using it, I could see that staying there would be a bit repetitive, year on year, so I started looking around. Haywood was a really lovely spot to live in, and I enjoyed my job, work colleagues, and the fact that it was only 40 minutes drive back to family and the Bees, so I was in no hurry to find another, and I only applied for jobs that looked super attractive and that I didn’t expect to get. One day in 1973 an ad appeared in the London Times for a Chief Planner for Melbourne, requiring umpteen years of experience in Town Planning, Executive level membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute and so on. I wrote a cheeky letter explaining that I didn’t have these qualifications, but “you can’t have all chiefs and no Indians – here’s my CV”. To my amazement, I was invited to London for an interview – not for the advertised position, of course, but my use of computers for local government planning was something that caught their imagination. I was offered a job in Melbourne on, effectively, twice my Staffordshire salary – how could I refuse!!! They organised for us to get the Ten Pound Pom deal (for those too young to remember, British people were given preference in emigration to Australia, and if selected, you only paid ten pounds to book your passage). In our cases, the Melbourne employers paid the ten pounds for each of us - and even paid us $150 for removals expenses (which we didn't need, since we sold up everything that wasn't portable). Then we waited for our flights to Melbourne. We said bye-bye to friends and rellies at Coventry Station, and travelled to Euston, and then they bussed us to Heathrow in the early evening for a 9pm-ish departure. Around midnight we were taken to the airport motel for the night. We finally took off mid-morning next day, and got diverted. Instead of direct to Melbourne, we landed in Sydney, motelled the night and got to Melbourne a day and a half late, on a Thursday. To cut a short but very complicated story shorter, by pure serendipity involving a Croatian motel cleaner, we made contact with the local orienteers and competed in our first down-under event three days after arrival. On the Monday, I was introduced to my new boss - "Hi", he said, "Didn't we meet at the London School of Economics a few years ago?". He had been my economics tutor! Next day, I was elected Secretary and Karan Minutes Secretary of the Victorian Orienteering Association. Four days later, while house hunting, we discovered that the receptionist at a friendly estate agent's was the niece of the family two doors away from where I grew up in Macaulay Road, Wyken. Things like this just kept on happening to us - it was as if we were intended to take that plunge! Anyone else like to tell their story?
True Blue Coventry Kid

Non-Coventry - Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
87 of 110  Mon 22nd Jan 2018 2:46pm  

Yes, if you don't take the plunge JW you would never know, and may in some cases spend the rest of your life wishing you had. My husband Tony was very lucky inasmuch as he was offered a position with Lucas Hydraulics the very week we had arrived and that was the company he left in Meriden, Warwickshire. He was able to see a lot of Australia, even for a time on the oil rigs up north, then over to your part of the world. I say 'world' because it seems so far away from the farthest capital city. Lucky again to have loved his work, so much so he worked 4 years past his 'use by date'. My adult children are now settled in their chosen profession ie. education and health service. I would add my son at nearly 50 is now studying again at an open university to further his medical degree. On leaving school he entered the RAAF and served 16 years, being the best decision he made at the time. Taught him so many skills and made friends for life. My daughter has just completed 30 years teaching. It's been a lifetime of study for them and I often wonder how they would have fared had we not taken the challenge. Now I can start worrying about the grandchildren!!!
Non-Coventry - Australia
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
88 of 110  Mon 22nd Jan 2018 10:42pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:234

Reactions of friends were the clincher. So many people said "I could have been demobbed to Australia after the war" or "I was offered a job over there when my firm closed down in Coventry". Inevitably their next sentence was "I always wonder what it would have been like". We decided that we wouldn't live our lives wondering! After all, we could always come back - and have done many times!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Non-Coventry - Australia
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
89 of 110  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 9:34am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1708

I spent 18 months or so in Australia during 1991-92. My sister was living there at the time (she now has dual-nationality). Her first husband was actually born there as his parents went out on the £10 ticket scheme but ended up all returning one by one before gradually going back down under for good. She originally lived in Melbourne but later moved to Adelaide. Being a Brit at that time was not exactly positive thanks to the then Prime Minister Paul Keating. He was very anti-monarchy (it was he who put his arm around the Queen) and the mood in general around then was anti-Pom. I went to the MCG for the Cricket World Cup Final and it was really the first time I had experienced anything like it. I eventually did the back-packing thing and toured around - lived in Sydney for a bit and climbed Ayers Rock (which is not allowed now). But finding a decent job proved difficult and I returned home once the money had run out. Mind you not too long after I met my now wife - things could have been so different. Another Coventry lad I met at White Street coach station to get the coach to Heathrow on the way out there ended up meeting a girl three weeks before he was due to return and is still there now. Edited by member, 23rd Jan 2018 3:03 pm
Non-Coventry - Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
90 of 110  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 1:43pm  

Pity you didn't make it to Perth, Neil, I am sure you would have liked it here. Don't know about this bloomin' heat though!! Tourists always seem to bypass the sandgroper state, I wonder why. Roll eyes
Non-Coventry - Australia

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 90 of 110 posts

Page 6 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Have a laugh!
|

Next (newer) topic

Hillsborough
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 168ms)