Next pageNo action
110 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
91 of 110  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 3:07pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1733

Would have loved to Dreamtime yes - one day!
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
92 of 110  Wed 24th Jan 2018 4:00am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3007

I'll hold you to that then Neil. Meanwhile - back to the mother country. Wink
Australia
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
93 of 110  Wed 24th Jan 2018 12:26pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:356

On 23rd Jan 2018 1:43pm, Dreamtime said: Pity you didn't make it to Perth, Neil, I am sure you would have liked it here. Don't know about this bloomin' heat though!! Tourists always seem to bypass the sandgroper state, I wonder why. Roll eyes
Hi Dreamtime. I've been to Perth, both back in the seventies and a few years ago. Had a bar lunch at the 'Moon & Sixpence' then. Our local publican/hotel proprietor and his wife are in Perth as I write. They have both become grandparents for the first time (their son and his Aussie wife) and left a fortnight ago for three weeks (him) and six weeks (her)! The locals have a card on whether they sell up to spend more time here/there! Cheers
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
94 of 110  Wed 24th Jan 2018 12:47pm  

Evening Wearethemods, Wave Oh I remember the Moon & Sixpence, based on a Traditional English Pub - Murray Street in Perth. Sadly it will be closing its doors in May. I hope the new grandparents are enjoying the hot weather at the moment, they are lucky though as it has not reached a long spell into the 40's yet. I hope I haven't spoken too soon. Roll eyes
Australia
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
95 of 110  Thu 25th Jan 2018 9:52am  

Good morning/evening Dreamtime, that's a shame that the pub is shutting down. It is situated in a busy central part if I remember, ideal for the office workers and for the evening 'town' visitors. Why is it shutting down?
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
96 of 110  Thu 25th Jan 2018 3:58pm  

Hi Wearethemods, redevelopement, high rise of sorts and retail underneath. They are so fond of demolishing anything that gives pleasure as always. There are a few not happy about it. Roll eyes I get the feeling 'they' don't like to see folk enjoying themselves. Oh forgot, they have the new Arena in Perth, which will cost an arm and a leg to enter !
Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
97 of 110  Thu 25th Jan 2018 4:02pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2040

Way back in the mid-19th century a Yorkshire farmer gazed over his land for the last time, the land that his father and grandfather had tilled over for over a century. The farmer was about to embark on an epic journey to a land called Australia - few people had been there, few people knew where exactly it lay. Not only was he about to emigrate but he was taking everything that could walk on the farm with him. He also would be taking everything in the farmhouse down to the last teaspoon or thimble. He arrived at the town of Freemantle, drove his flock and all his belongings to Perth and settled by the Swan river where he farmed until his death after his house had been washed down river a couple of times. In 2012 I heard this story, so visited for a couple of times for three hours each time. The story so fascinated me more than any other story I heard in Oz. I believe it's still an open house to the public (was this the real ark?). PS. In the 1950s scores of Coventry people, many of them my friends emigrated to Oz - at least two of them died from accidents out there.
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
98 of 110  Thu 25th Jan 2018 4:10pm  

The Moon & Sixpence in Perth.
Australia
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
99 of 110  Fri 26th Jan 2018 9:34am  

Many thanks Dreamtime Cheers
Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
100 of 110  Sun 28th Jan 2018 11:05am  

Dreamtime. The farm I mentioned is now a cream teas place. Tranby, Maylands, Perth.
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
101 of 110  Sun 28th Jan 2018 4:48pm  

Tranby House, that's the one Kaga. Weddings and receptions held there, not far from the Swan River. The city centre has completely changed now of course, some for the good and some a bit 'iffy'. Too many continuous roadworks as everywhere else these days.
Australia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
102 of 110  Wed 31st Jan 2018 11:38am  

J Walker. My long story about Australia started in 1943 - my brother landed there, his aircraft carrier pulled in for repairs, they were hosted out to families for some weeks. In 1946 I answered a forces magazine for pen-pals - I wrote to a girl from Perth. My new CO came from Perth. 1948, I and two mates had medical for Oz, but one was taken ill and died two years later, so we pulled out, then the other one married and emigrated - some 12 years later he and his two sons died in a lorry crash. 1949, a cousin, ex-officer Royal Warwicks, begged me to go with him. I was involved and loving gambling too much (another story). He died in Brisbane 1999. 1987, my eldest son and family emigrated to Perth. We went many times, so did my other two boys. 1999, two of my boys were working on The Pier Hotel, Cairns, so we joined them, then travelled down the East Coast, taking six months. 2012, I felt I could not make the long journey. My two grandsons said if I could make it to Singapore they would look after us, so we flew out. The boys had booked the hotel, did everything. My son and his wife also turned up, then my youngest son flew in from Philippines and the other son flew in from Thailand, so the family were together for two weeks in Singapore. Of course my grandsons made us go on to Perth for a month. When we flew home they booked us in Singapore for another two weeks to break the journey.
Australia
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
103 of 110  Wed 31st Jan 2018 7:32pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:236

Kaga - You must have caught a bit of the Aussie accent by now! - You almost qualify as a resident!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Australia
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
104 of 110  Thu 8th Mar 2018 12:38pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4879

Are we all on the way out? Oh my Aussie flu Thanks JW, Dreamtime, et al for your flu virus! Roll eyes Wink
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
105 of 110  Thu 8th Mar 2018 3:09pm  

You are most welcome MR, now blow your nose like a good boy and wash your hands more often!! Roll eyes Edited by member, 8th Mar 2018 3:15 pm
Australia

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 105 of 110 posts

Page 7 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Crumbs! Wedding cake goes off the rails
|

Next (newer) topic

Tailors and Outfitters (bespoke and other)
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 30th April 2018  (Load time: 145ms)