No actionNo action
12 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 12  Fri 27th Sep 2013 5:53pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3886

Hi all, Wave I will post some pics from my ventures, sorting out safe routes for Coventry students attending Birmingham University in Edgbaston. The entrance to the Oratory that may have influenced the thinking of Tolkien when he was writing "Lord of the Rings" From inside the courtyard.
Non-Coventry - Birmingham
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 12  Fri 27th Sep 2013 10:18pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3886

From the car-park, in the distance can be seen the tops of the water tower (left) as well as the "folly" tower. Edgbaston was well blessed with these two towers plus the University tower, further south. My task is to decide which towers were in the mind of Tolkien, as well as deciding why the "folly" tower was really built. Wave
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 12  Fri 27th Sep 2013 10:25pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2259

Thank you, Philip, lovely photos, I love that iron worked gate, what workmanship, and a wonderful courtyard. I wouldn't like to be the one trimming those box hedges and topiary, well done to the gardener. Yes it's surprising where writers and poets get their influence.
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 12  Fri 27th Sep 2013 11:22pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:341

I think it was Midlands news that reported some time ago that it was the "folly" tower that inspired him when writing the Lord of the Rings. Thumbs up
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 12  Sat 3rd Dec 2016 12:21am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1639

It wasn't just old Cov that has lost some amazing buildings. I've always had a soft spot for old-Brum as well. A few of my old favourite buildings are here - would love to have had a look around all these Sad Never mind today's redevelopment - believe it or not this was New Street Station! The Exchange Building - Stephenson Place King Edwards School on New Street - JRR Tolkiens' school. Designed by Charles Barry who also rebuilt the Palace of Westminster.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
6 of 12  Sat 3rd Dec 2016 10:41am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2920

I know the phrase has been used many times but - 'They knew how to build in them thar days'. Great pics, Neil.
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 12  Wed 3rd May 2017 9:17pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:172

On 27th Sep 2013 5:53pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all, Wave I will post some pics from my ventures, sorting out safe routes for Coventry students attending Birmingham University in Edgbaston. The entrance to the Oratory that may have influenced the thinking of Tolkien when he was writing "Lord of the Rings" From inside the courtyard.
In the eighties I knew several people who worshipped there - they loved it! Smile
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
8 of 12  Thu 4th May 2017 11:33am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:291

William Middlemore's factory at Holloway Head, later Middlemore & Lamplugh. When D. Mason took this over they only had left the Little Park Street factory which was renamed Middlemores. Also on Holloway Head/Bath Row (it's like an Earl Street/Jordan Well thing) is the bombed remains of St Thomas' Church and the Peace Gardens. Edited by member, 4th May 2017 12:23 pm
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 12  Wed 19th Jul 2017 5:15pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Although it's close to Coventry (nearly joined up these days!) I've never really spent any time in the Second City - apart from the railway stations, football grounds and speedway tracks, of course, although I did have a spell working in Aston Cross a few years back Roll eyes So it was a real eye-opener for me to take a walk around parts of the city centre in the sunshine on Monday, to see a variety of buildings old and new Thumbs up It won't be long before I make a return visit (by train into the delightful Moor Street Station), provided Philip can come up with some decent weather again Of course, I took the camera along for company - photos here Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 12  Thu 20th Jul 2017 4:35am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2920

Brilliant MR, I loved the modern day tram, the guardian Bull. The last time I was in the Bullring was Christmas shopping in 1950, and Queen Vic. seems to pop up all over the world! Thumbs up Wave
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
11 of 12  Thu 20th Jul 2017 2:59pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1900

Midland Red, Absolutely 'Brill' Photo's.
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
12 of 12  Thu 20th Jul 2017 3:49pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:96

Great photo's Midland Red.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Wolseley Cars
|

Next (newer) topic

Rambling, farther afield from Coventry
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 64ms)