Next pageNo action
16 posts:
Order:    

Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 16  Tue 1st Oct 2013 9:06pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:341

I meet a fair few people in the job I do and today met a lady that said her husband's grand-parents ran a company in Gosford Street that produced cars and motorbikes. Although she had never seen any of the motorbikes, she did say that the transport museum had one of the cars, and that the factory still had the name above the door. I do not know if the lady knew of the expansion of the uni in that area, or she had not been there for a time. But I think it's now part of the uni. I have found that it started with pushbikes in 1886, and the production of cars in 1913. It was acquired by the Singer automobile company in 1926. She did mention that they had a showroom on the other side of the road to the factory, and that she married into the name. The motorcycle had a 3.5hp White and Poppe engine fitted but cannot find any other information. Happy Edited by member, 1st Oct 2013 9:07 pm
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

Motoring - Calcott Motor Cars and Motorcycles
jvb
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Tue 1st Oct 2013 9:28pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:34

There's lots of information about the Calcott company in 'Coventry's Motorcar Heritage' by Damien Kimberley. Here's a link to the Google Streetview photo of the building:
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Tue 1st Oct 2013 9:46pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3015

On 1st Oct 2013 9:06pm, Baz said: I meet a fair few people in the job I do and today met a lady that said her husband's grand-parents ran a company in Gosford Street that produced cars and motorbikes,
Far Gosford Street Smile It later became Astley's warehouse.
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Wed 2nd Oct 2013 8:16am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:920

If you scroll down a bit, there's a a good photograph of the inside of the Factory and a 3.5 White and Poppe Engine is mentioned for 1911. Calcott Bros.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Wed 2nd Oct 2013 9:16am  
Off-topic / chat  

Astons Garages
Hinckley
All posts by this member
6 of 16  Fri 4th Oct 2013 9:31am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:77

Quite fascinating As you know I am writing up the history of Aston's Garages which were in the area What other bicycle or car related-industries were so close in this area - I saw on David Fry's "Coventry we have lost" there was a cycle shop in Lower Ford Street Also who had the Lower Ford Street before Aston's in 1920/30 and early 1940's Probably of no interest to anyone, the Astley's rep around 1958 gave me my first teddy bear, Aston's Coaches used to buy their paint from Astley's Mods note: This post has been copied to the Aston's thread for onward discussion
David Aston Historian of Astons Garages and Light Cars Coventry

Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Fri 26th Dec 2014 4:46pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:79

Can anyone recognise the make of this car, I believe it is made by Calcott which used to be in the premises occupied by Astleys in Gosford Street. The photograph was taken outside the Midland Bank on the corner of High Street and Little Park Street (now Wetherspoons). I believe it to be dated between 1913-26. Look forward to any information

Question

Alan H

Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Fri 26th Dec 2014 6:35pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:454

The above is a restored example of a Calcott circa 1916. There are styling similarities especially the rear of the cab and the 'boot', but if you look at the rest of the car, the mudguards are flared at the ends, the bonnet has rolled edges, the spare is not sitting in a well on the running board, and the Calcott radiator, its unique and apparently most distinguishing feature, protrudes above the bonnet line.

In the old photo, the mudguards don't look right, the spare wheel sits in a well, the bonnet looks to be razor-edged, and the protruding radiator top is not present.

There are other Calcotts here but none of them have the 'Rolls Royce Silver Ghost' style bonnet (flat panels and razor edges) of the car in the old photo.

charabanc
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Fri 26th Dec 2014 8:12pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:159

This is listed as a 'Calcott Tourer 1914'
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Sun 28th Dec 2014 12:04pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:347

Is the Calcott registration number legible on the original image? If so it would be possible to find details including the make and original owner, (I'm assuming it was registered in Coventry).
Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Mon 29th Dec 2014 2:09pm  

Yes it is a Coventry registration, it is not to clear on the photo but I think it is DU 8120. I have a photo of a motor cycle which I will post on the site shortly with the registration DU 8320. Not sure how to find the details, perhaps from the DVLA. Alan H
Alan H

Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Mon 29th Dec 2014 3:59pm  

Another Coventry Gas Dept vehicle.
Alan H

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Mon 29th Dec 2014 4:19pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3015

Great pictures of a rarely seen subject Alan, thanks for posting them Thumbs up
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Mon 29th Dec 2014 8:30pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:347

On 29th Dec 2014 2:09pm, Gas Centre said: Not sure how to find the details, perhaps from the DVLA. Alan H
The history centre at the Herbert has a card index of cancelled registrations that date from 1921 to 1963. As long as the vehicle existed in 1921 and the registration was cancelled before 1963 there will be an index card for it showing the date of first registration, make, taxation class, original owner's name/address, colour, engine size, chassis number, last taxed date and final owner. The index is enormous so the history centre (024 7623 7583) need advance notice of which range of registration marks is required. However if the car did not survive until 1921, the registration would likely have been re-issued to another vehicle and the original index card would have been destroyed. The DVLA only have details from 1963. Edited by member, 29th Dec 2014 8:43 pm
Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Mon 29th Dec 2014 9:05pm  

Thank you msporran for the information I will contact the Herbert. Alan H
Alan H

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Mystery Car outside the London Road Cemetery
|

Next (newer) topic

Roland Elliott (Queen Mary's Road garage)
You are viewing topics in the Motoring category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 82ms)