No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Sun 18th Sep 2011 4:58am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3153

Just read your memoirs Andrew Ross in the 'What's New' pages, absolutely great. I am sure quite a few of us can relate to most of the places in Coventry you have mentioned. I spent many an hour hanging around in Jill Hansons. Also I recall there was once a great book shop opposite Greyfriars Green, had it's own smell as you walked in, the Church Book Shop. Wonderful memories for us all. Thank you for the nostalgia.
Non-Coventry - Great reading
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Sun 18th Sep 2011 2:03pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

Link to Andrew Ross' memories page Smile
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Tue 8th Jul 2014 11:00am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

What books are members currently reading? My current reading is Ruth Cherrington's social history of working men's clubs 'Not Just Beer & Bingo' (Kindle Edition). Yesterday I downloaded further reading - two of Ken Follett's historical novels (again to go on my Kindle).

Question

Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Tue 8th Jul 2014 12:46pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:440

I only get to read what I need to know on the day. Basically technical manuals, and what are called 'chapter' books because I am helping one of my grand-daughters to read. Never seem to have time for anything else.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Mon 1st Sep 2014 9:10am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:665

The Church Bookshop in Hertford Street had a spiral staircase and the lady shop manager wore a floral housecoat (overall) when working there. Time spent in there was always interesting and the Geisha for coffee just nearby.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Mon 1st Sep 2014 11:08pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:564

Pixrobin doesn`t mention which Ken Follett books he/she downloaded, but they might be two I was enthralled by "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World without end". I have a "text" book of Coventry history "Coventry and its story", issued under the authority of the Coventry Education Committee and written by The Rev Canon J. Howard R. Masterman MA, written somewhere about 1910/15 and presumably issued to schools, my copy has Red Lane Girls school stamp with the name F. Collier in the flyleaf. I mention this particularly, as I had always been fascinated by the division into "The Prior`s Part" and that of "The Crown" and the above two historical novels had a similar theme of division between church and crown and Follett puts "life" into the everyday conditions and order of society under which the "Real Coventry" might have lived. I would be interested to know if there are many copies of my book in existence!
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Tue 2nd Sep 2014 12:42am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

Hi Roger First of all I better clear up something: I'm male. Many females have stolen the name Robin, perhaps because its correct female variant, Robina, has been so rarely used in the last two centuries. Christening a girl Robin is as bad as calling her Robert rather than Roberta. (rant, rant) I have read both the Follett books you mention in the past year. The ones I downloaded more recently were 'Fall of the Giants' and 'Winter of the World' - the latter of which I have started to read. Another fascinating book is 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak. It is about the life of a young girl in Germany during World War II. The use of English may bring you up with a start on occasions but still a worthwhile read. The film of 'The Book Thief' didn't get great reviews by the critics, but they go for its cinematic relevance rather than the story it tells.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Tue 2nd Sep 2014 8:28pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:564

Hi Robin - how could I be so crass, I think it was the "pix" bit which foxed me, however you are now parked in my memory alongside my cousin Robin. `Fall of the Giants` and `Winter of the world` sound up my street and I will look out for them - I might need a little more persuading about `The Book Thief`, but I have read `The Lost Symbol` by Dan Brown, a bit gruesome, but he always writes a very intriguing story, one I at least dash to get to the end of.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

British and proud of it
|

Next (newer) topic

Rob's Twinkle
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category