No actionNo action
88 posts:
Order:    

Ken Dickson
High Hesket Cumbria
All posts by this member
76 of 88  Tue 11th Jun 2019 5:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:50

Kaga, I was pointing out that people reading your post will take it as read that Hans Kurt von Bremen was the most decorated U-boat commander, when he clearly wasn't. My information had nothing to do with ' 2000 era after the book had been doctored.' I have not read Guske's book, but I will. What Clay Blair says in his Vol 2 Hitler's U-boat war, 'The Hunted 1942-1945.' with reference to this incident is : U-764, commanded by Hans-Kurt von Bremen. came upon convoy Outbound North 222. Von Bremen reported the convoy, then dived. A section of it passed overhead but he did not shoot, then or later. U-441 and U-963, plus 4 other Type VII's, attempted to join U-764, but it was a case of too little too late and none of these 7 boats was able to mount a proper attack. U-764 surrendered at Loch Eriboll. A radioman on U-764, Heinz F.K.Guske, harshly criticised Bremen's failure to attack in his shrill book, The War Diaries of U-764: Fact or Fiction? (Which you have read). Guske, in turn, has been denounced by his shipmates for manufacturing lies. Guske, in 1985, read the magazine "Schaltung Kuste", on German U-boat history., which led him to write about what he believed were deceptions in the diary and memoir. Guske obviously disapproved of his captain's non-action and I would suspect have a grudge, of course I have no evidence to suggest that Guske still bore that grudge in 1985. Yes, an interesting and puzzling story. How truthful are the real wartime diaries that have come down to us. The majority of diaries that have been forged or seriously tampered with, have been identified. This is because few events take place under the gaze of a single human being, and so there is usually one individual ready to challenge dubious accounts. They are still trying to find where the missing logbook from HMS Conqueror, the submarine that sank the Belgrano, is. Best of luck in solving the U-764 issue.
Favourite Books
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
77 of 88  Tue 11th Jun 2019 11:03pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:385

Currently reading this:
Favourite Books
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
78 of 88  Wed 12th Jun 2019 9:23am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3120

Ken Dickson, You have solved it as far as anyone is going to know the truth. I thought a number of the crew complained, but if it was a one man grudge, back in the fifties you had great difficulty finding anything out, so the story would be a little local hearsay I would imagine. I would loved to had a chat with you about submarine life, but it's not to be, but many thanks for your reply. Regards, Kaga.
Favourite Books
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
79 of 88  Fri 14th Jun 2019 5:12pm  

About 4/5 weeks ago I read a story in a Daily Mail Saturday edition about spying for MI5. The story I could not believe. I have just read the book (64 pages) called 'Operation XX and Me : Did I have a choice?'. I'm more convinced it's rubbish, it's not even good fiction, the guy doesn't even know the basics of army procedure. How do people get away with trash?
Favourite Books
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
80 of 88  Sun 30th Jun 2019 10:56am  

Roger Turner. Hi! Just finished reading 'Erebus' - thanks for the tip, it was excellent for me. Like you, I was living the story. Have nothing but praise for MIchael Palin. One thing for me - I remember as a kid seeing Spencer Tracy in 'North West Passage', just as thrilling, but in the Canadian forests. They were starving, can't remember if they went cannibals or not, but the hint was there.
Favourite Books
Roger T
Torksey
All posts by this member
81 of 88  Thu 4th Jul 2019 10:20pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2019  Total posts:570

Hi Kaga. Thanks for the response, it was only accidentally I came across it as I don't know if you have noticed, but I have been absent from the forum for some months. I won't go into too many details, but I lost the wifi on my laptop and with it access to my emails. I got a new laptop and tried to log in with a new email address. I forgot my password after so many years. Unfortunately it offered to send my new password to my old email address. Anyway, now I have registered a new username, RogerT, but it's the same old me - scruffy and unreformed, although I have got a new girlfriend (don't ask my or her age, we're both ancient, but surprisingly young at heart). Back to books, I have read a couple more in the meantime. First one "Heads you win", Jeffrey Archer, as usual a bit far fetched, but a real page turner and I gobbled it as usual. The other is entitled "Trampships, Tankers and Polite Conversation", written by John Lee, experiences of the Merchant Navy during the 1950s and 1960s - right up my street. I was in the MN 1953/1962 and while I could tell some fairly lurid tales, this chap's far outstrip mine. Oh, and by the way, I noticed your earlier discussion about keeping diaries during war service. Well, I've got one. He actually called it a "Daily Log", it was Cheers Big grin my wife's uncle who was a Gordon Highlander in WWI and re-enlisted as a Sergeant in WWII. The logbook covers the period November 1940 when he sailed from the Clyde, proceeded round the Cape, calling in at Freetown and Durban and arriving at Alexandria around Christmas that year. He was in command of a party of mixed nationalities, including Arabs and German Jews, was posted up the front almost immediately and finally left when Tobruk fell to the Germans - well, he actually left before it fell, on the last ship to leave the city of Calcutta. There are graphic descriptions of what it is like to be strafed by German aircraft. If anybody was interested I would be prepared to print some of his jottings on a separate thread. Please let me know what you think. Roger Turner. Just read this through and I forgot to mention he re-enlisted in the Pioneer Corps. Tobruk fell around 16th June 1942.
Favourite Books
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
82 of 88  Fri 5th Jul 2019 10:20am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:428

Hi Roger T, I'm sure the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen would be most interested in seeing the jottings! E-mail me if you want contact details etc. I have been there on a few occasions and they have display boards with personal transcripts on.
Favourite Books
Roger T
Torksey
All posts by this member
83 of 88  Tue 9th Jul 2019 11:16am  
Member: Joined Jul 2019  Total posts:570

Hi WATM. Thank you for your suggestion re Aberdeen Museum and their interest in a Gordon Highlanders exhibition of personal transcripts. I am holidaying near Dundee starting the week after next and will try to include a personal visit to the museum and show them what I have. I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me regarding contact details. I know you already have my email address, but it is now changed, but only the ending ie @yahoo.co.uk is now @icloud.co.uk. I would point out that Uncle John was only in the Gordon's in WW1 (actually Black Watch as well) and all the stuff I have on him refers to his service in the Pioneer Corps in WW2. I only knew about his WW1 service from a cutting of an interview he gave to, I think, "The People's Journal" on August 28th 1943 (Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan edition). My copy is water damaged and perhaps the museum would be able to obtain a copy directly themselves.
Favourite Books
Wearethemods
84 of 88  Wed 10th Jul 2019 11:06am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
85 of 88  Thu 15th Aug 2019 11:48am  

Just bought Lee Child, Past Tense, £3.95 from Sainsbury's.
Favourite Books
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
86 of 88  Thu 15th Aug 2019 12:41pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3347

Or these two:- Worth Dying For and The Enemy, both by Lee Child Thumbs up
Favourite Books
Kaga simpson
87 of 88  Thu 15th Aug 2019 3:06pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
88 of 88  Fri 8th Nov 2019 4:53pm  

Ken Dickson, There’s a wonderful book called '1941' - this gives you all the detail of the happenings between Churchill and Roosevelt and the Atlantic Sea Lanes in that year, and heaps more that few people know of, like we gave them the the beginnings of the atom bomb. It filled in a lot of gaps for me about WWII.
Favourite Books

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 88 of 88 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)
|

Next (newer) topic

Corporation Street