No actionNo action
25 posts:
Order:    

Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
16 of 25  Sun 20th Oct 2013 3:35pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:192

If there are existing pictures of Swan Street, could someone please help me locate them? Otherwise, I am adding them to the list. Thank you! 1. Silver Street 2. West Orchard 3. Paradise 4. Swan Street
Lost Coventry views (photos wanted)
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
17 of 25  Sun 20th Oct 2013 7:57pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:169

Another plea for Swan Street, as one of my grandfathers and his family were shown living there on the 1911 census. I should also like to see images of Vicar Lane, especially the non-conformist church where several of my ancestors were baptized .
Primrose
18 of 25  Sun 20th Oct 2013 8:53pm  
Off-topic / chat  

DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
19 of 25  Sun 20th Oct 2013 9:00pm  

Mine were at number 5!
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
20 of 25  Mon 21st Oct 2013 6:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:192

Reverting to the topic, I think the list looks like this so far - 1. Silver Street 2. West Orchard 3. Swan Street 4. Vicar Lane
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
21 of 25  Sun 3rd Nov 2013 1:55pm  

After a bit of searching I have found this image of part of Vicar Lane. I must say the chapel looks very grand
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
22 of 25  Tue 9th Sep 2014 7:20pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:853

Vicar Lane Chapel was the precursor to Warwick Road Congregational Church now United Reformed.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
23 of 25  Tue 9th Sep 2014 7:25pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:853

I have 'Coventry Past and Passing' which also has the Troughton drawings of old Coventry. How I endorse the quotation that had more been saved and restored we would have had in Coventry an English Nuremburg. Edited by member, 9th Sep 2014 7:27 pm
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
24 of 25  Wed 17th Jun 2015 9:46am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1944

Tantalisingly close but I've not seen this one before of Bishop Street with the slightest hint of the opening in to Silver Street on the right.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
25 of 25  Thu 12th Jan 2017 12:42pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1252

Ok I've now got an amazing number of images of Coventry's medieval buildings but I reckon there might be a few more gems out there. A lot of factories were built post 1850 and maybe, just maybe, someone photographed the areas before they demolished the buildings. While I'm missing just a few buildings in other areas they were probably modified in the Georgian era and unless there are sketches, they will remain unknown. The list below are those bits where there are some photos already but there might be a treasure trove out there that ticks all the boxes. Parts of the mid to north end of Cox Street. I've got bits of both sides but some images are very poor. The south side of Cow Lane from halfway to the corner of Little Park Street and then round until you get to Banner House. This whole area became a factory. On the same side of Little Park Street but further south, there are about three houses south of Bridgeman's including a ladies' seminary that are unknown. These might have been demolished too early for photography but were still there in 1850. The buildings on the north side of Earl Street, where they built the Council House. I have clues as to what they looked like including some sketches at the back but maybe there are some photos too, especially of the ones on the corner of St Mary Street. The east half of St John's Lane, particularly the south side. The final area that I feel certain must have been better recorded was the south end of Much Park Street. I've got bits of this area but not much early from the south side before Short Street and the school were built. (thanks for the corrections MR Thumbs up ) Edited by member, 12th Jan 2017 5:42 pm

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 25 of 25 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Stoke Heathens
|

Next (newer) topic

Fletchamstead